iphone 5 otterbox defenders only $8.

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by darkprophet2088, Dec 11, 2013.

1. darkprophet2088

darkprophet2088 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2012
    not sure if this is the right forum, but this sounds like a great deal to me! appadvice posted an article about $8 otterbox defender cases for iphone 5. here's the link to the website

http://www.woot.com/plus/otterbox-defender-iphone-5-cases-4

2. repapermunky

repapermunky Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Going to assume those are knockoffs. Not sure what else to say, but I suggest everyone stay away.

3. ᏞᎬᎧ

ᏞᎬᎧ Active Member

Aug 24, 2013
  4. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I've dropped my phone more times than I can count, and have never damaged it and all I use is a cheap rubber case.. Not plastic.. Rubber. You know the squishy bendy type. Best $4 I've ever spent. Probably saved me hundreds.
    There's no need for an otterbox for general droppings..

I'm going to get a rubber case for my iPad..but I don't know if it'll have the same life saving effect since it's much heavier..but still, it sure beats the no protection I currently have..

5. darkprophet2088

Dec 15, 2012
    I kinda got the same vibe from the site too. but idk if appadvice would post this if they were knockoffs, at least that's what id like to believe. I've never purchased a knockoff otterbox before. wonder what's different

6. gtcharlie

gtcharlie Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    I have been purchasing from Woot for years and have never received a knock off product. This is not the first time they have offered these at this price. You can do a little looking and find the forums from the past sales to see if it is the real deal.

7. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    While it is theoretically possible that any one thing you buy anywhere could be a knock off, this is from woot, and there's absolutely no way they'd advertise this as a brand name product unless they knew it was. They'd never risk the backlash.

8. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

#8 andsoitgoes, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    One thing that drives me crazy is this extrapolation of "well it's fine for me, so no one needs it"

There's no way to plan for a general dropping or one that hits a harder surface, or the corner of something that could cause more damage. You never know. I've seen a cup hit the ceramic tile floor that would crack titanium and have it come away with a small chip.

At the same time, I've had a similar cup fall from a fraction of the height and smash into pieces.

With Apple being far more restrictive of accidents since the implementation of the AppleCare +, you are giving a lot to chance with a cheap case.

It comes down to insurance. No one likes to have to pay out money every month on car insurance, especially in a situation like that of my wife, who hasn't had a need for it ever. But if something ever were to happen, she's covered.

The otterbox case, for example, is bulky and heavy but if you happen to drop your phone, or iPad, while in the case, the protection versus a cheap case is enormously different. I've had my kids accidentally drop the iPad inside an otterbox case, zero damage. Had it not been in the case, the iPad would have been screwed.

Same for my wife. She doesn't often drop her phone, but when she has the case was damaged in a way that, without the otterbox and deeply recessed screen, there would have been no coming back.

And fact of the matter is that if you happen to be clumsy, a $4 case is worthless.

Last thing, this was the same attitude many people had about screen protectors for the iPad. The screen doesn't scratch, they'd say. Before I protected my screen, I had no problem proving them wrong. But they mocked everyone who thought the screens were impervious to any damage.

The argument was also "well the Apple store doesn't carry cases or screen protectors for a reason." And of course what, a year or two later Apple has them plastered throughout the store.

Exactly. Woot is a big enough company that they wouldn't highlight something this big with a possible counterfeit product.

And looking at the listing, these are for the 5, you know the discontinued model. Otterbox is just sitting on dead stock with the currently available phones, and there are links through to otterbox directly, touting their warranty and such. It's legit. If you're worried, confirm your serial/date mark inside the case with otterbox when you get it. If they say it's not, it's simple to contact woot or your CC company to get your money back.

9. darkprophet2088

Dec 15, 2012
    I took the plunge and ordered a couple of cases from woot. ik that i5 has been discontinued, but it's far from obsolete. I'm still using a 4s because I upgraded at the wrong time. won't be doing that again lol. iphone 6 here I come!

10. Jerryi9

Jerryi9 New Member

Dec 17, 2013