The Infinity Blade Effect

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by John Bigmack, Dec 15, 2010.

1. John Bigmack

John Bigmack Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Apparently everyone expects games to look as good as Infinity Blade because every game they look at they say "the graphics look terrible" when they are obviously not - it's freaking ridiculous if you ask me. What do you guys think?

2. Darkus

Darkus Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Oh. Hi.
    The graphics on this thread are terrible. 1 star.

3. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    ^ you just failed.....hard.

4. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    The next game that looks that good will be whatever Epic develops internally with their own engine. After all, no one else has truly optimized it, especially for the iphone. You have to know what you are doing or else it ain't gonna look like that. Unreal is a hassle. I don't think third party developers are going to bother with it, to be honest. The devil you know versus the devil you don't. I think most developers will stick with unity, to be honest.

5. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It's like reading something translated through a drive thru intercom.

6. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Younger gamers of the newer generation are obviously going to get more enjoyment out of games with better graphics. At the end of the day, people of different ages are going to find fun in different games, so it really just depends on opinion.

7. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I think he said it best. Most of the younger (and stupider) gamers out there always first complain about graphics, even when they're not that bad, followed by realism. It's a trend I've noticed while talking with some of my friends about certain games. Even if it's a great game, they automatically judge based on realism and graphics.

8. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    That annoys me a lot when people judge by graphics instead of gameplay.

9. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    And then along comes a game like minecraft or even freeware like iwbtg that destroys every graphic sterotype.

10. Link6746

Link6746 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Berserker (RAAAAARRRGH!)
    Saint Joseph's Hospital, Mental Ward (Long Term Gu
    Nineteen years old and I still prefer sprites to 3d models. What's your excuse for saying younger gamers prefer graphics to depth?

I regularly play NES games on my Wii, and I appreciate them more oftentimes than the modern stuff due to it's attention to detail in gameplay.

I love roguelikes.Not just the graphics ones- I played dwarf fortress before DFG, because it's world generation algorithm was genuinely impressive.

My favorite game is still the original NWN (which had it's engine developed in the latter days of DnD 2E)

I play Infocom games. I play system shock 1 (my favorite game), daggerfall... and when adding modern control methods to the mix I don't care that the game is more than five years old.

Minecraft impresses me more than Fallout: New vegas graphically- it's that unique retro sensibility. But Fallout: New vegas impresses me in gameplay more than graphics- All those modder's creations recoded from scratch and added. All those classic fallout skills.

Speaking of which, I play fallout 1+2, and Battle for Wesnoth on my home PC regularly.

11. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

Generalising is as bad as racism in my book. Everyone's different and cares about different stuff.

Games can look and feel great without having the best graphics e.g Canabalt but it's down to the developer to put in the effort.

I like games that look good and I'm old. Game play is the essential factor for me but great looks definitely play a part in whether I'll pick up a game or not.

12. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    #12 alchemistrpm, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
    Gamers can be so silly. I'm 28 (not the oldest at TA, I'm sure, but old enough), I've been gaming like a lunatic since I got the NES when I was six. That said, I love a pretty game. I did then, and I do now. Is gameplay more important? Is that even a question? It's the basis of our entire hobby; of course it is. Squareball for iOS is a gamer's game and it's awesome. But I'm not gonna deny that graphics are important, in pursuit of some "I'm more hardcore than you" sort of gamer cred - It's ridiculous. I don't care if you're first gaming system was an Atari 2600 or an Xbox 360 - the old graphics vs. gameplay argument is as old as Pong, and I've known enough gamers in my lifetime to know that every gamer appreciates a better looking game. Any one who denies that probably never masturbates either. ;) You folks attacking younger gamers should be more honest with yourselves, frankly.

*Flame Shields Up*

13. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    People who only judge by graphics and realism are not real gamers.

14. Codycat

Codycat Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Don't stalk me.
    i dont think you know what you are talking about...and you dont know a whole lot about graphics, looking at your previous thread...and everyone has a different opinion on the graphics of a game..

15. Cruben

Cruben Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Graphics help immerse a player into the game world and are also an important part of telling the story. A game with good graphics might also be bought just to show off a device's hardware and capability.

Gameplay however makes you want to keep playing the game and come back. If all a game had was good graphics and bad gameplay I would be perfectly content with looking at screenshots and videos online...

All in all, I think gameplay matters more for replay value but graphics are an important part in tying the game together and telling what's going on.

16. John Bigmack

John Bigmack Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I don't think you know what I am talking about. Basically I am saying ever since Infinity Blade was released the majority of people look at a other games and say "the graphics look like crap" or somewhere along those lines. A lot of people seem to expect graphics to look as good as Infinity Blade ever since it was revealed. Not every game is going to look as amazing as Chair Entertainment's game and people need to realize that.

17. PhxBangBus602

PhxBangBus602 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Why do people think N.O.V.A 2's graphics suck? They look amazing! They're not as good as Shadow Guardian's, but that's because that game is 3rd gen and up.

18. mpf189

mpf189 Active Member

Dec 11, 2010
    I personally prefer older style graphics when it comes to iphone/ipod gaming. I think they just work better compared to 3D graphics on mobile devices.

19. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

i think people might have a problem with the look of gameloft games because they are generic.. they are clones without souls.. the gameplay is usualy mediocre at best and the the gfx are nothing to write home about.

but that is always in comparsion to where they steal their ideas from.. not compared to other iOS games..

there are not much developers out there who can compete on a technical level.. but there are tons of developers out there who have a coherent design and well.. style..

gameloft games are successfull on the iOS platform, well because there is nothing better out there.. not because the games are to great..

if the best thing to halo on ios is nova well then you get nova.. but nova is lightyear aways from the quality of a halo game, buts its understandable.. there are tons of reason why things are like they are :)

but i doubt there will be a infinity blade effect.. the same games will still sell and after a short rise games like rage and infinite blade are falling down the charts quite fast.. and the old bunch is going back up (doodle jump, fruit ninja, angry bird etc.)

the iOS is too casual as a core product like rage or ib could stay for long in the charts.. they will sell good because there are enough core gamers out there interested in them.. with the rise of the iOS devices this might or might not change in the future.. we will see.

20. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY

Exactly. I grew up when the arcades were the place to be and I've seen it all. For me, it's all about game-play; the graphics are so secondary. Don't get me wrong, I love Infinity Blade, but there are about 20 other games with far inferior graphics the will be played long after the Infinity Blade's appeal is over. Same reason I go for XBLA games rather then dropping $60.00 on game so detailed, you can see the acne scars on character's nose. Awesome graphics are eye pleasing but after the visual wow factor wears thin, it's up to the game's mechanics to keep you interested. This is why retro and casual gaming have become successful.