Disappearing Games? (Paperboy, centipede)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Brrrt, May 24, 2010.

1. Brrrt

Brrrt Member

Aug 10, 2009
    i bought these games when they came out...for a recent trip i didnt sync them to the phone for space sake...and now they wont reinstall. I searched for them on the app store and they are gone?

wtf?

2. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    ... Are you jailbroken?

3. Brrrt

Brrrt Member

Aug 10, 2009
  4. Brrrt

Brrrt Member

Aug 10, 2009
    i searched again and none of the 4 games im having this issue with exist in the app store....wtf?

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Atari got pissed off and removed all games from the AppStore.
    The two you have mentioned, too.
    These games are lost for you. You can try to refund your money.

6. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    What?!

When did that happen? I bought Missile Command and Centipede a few weeks ago myself. So now they're gone? Wow. :eek:

Why did Atari pull out? :confused:

7. Brrrt

Brrrt Member

Aug 10, 2009
    when did this happen? should i go to apple about this?

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Apple knows. Don't ask me what happened exactly but a few weeks ago, after a big sale, all Atari titles were gone from the AppStore.
    I think Atari freaked out because every game sold not enough copies and they also had some other trouble.
    As I said, contact Apples Customer Support and refund.

9. Brrrt

Brrrt Member

Aug 10, 2009
    i just contacted support...theres like 20$ worth of games! the bummer is I loved paperboy.......maybe unethical question but can i strip the drm from the game so i can reload it onto my iphone to play it?

10. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Hmm did not know about this..Interesting.

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Piracy is and stays piracy.
    I'd prefer the legal way and refund the apps.

12. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I thought as long as you have them in your iTunes library you can continue to install them onto your phone and play? You just can't download them from the store anymore.

Btw, TNA Westling is also gone from the store. That and Paperboy are my pains. Why didn't I buy them? Damn.

13. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #13 dyscode, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
    Usually when you sync your iTouch, a backup of it is automaticallly created on your computer. In (Mac) Music->itunes->Mobile Apps. On a PC it should be somewhere. As long as you games are stored on your PC you can reinstall them any time.

14. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    C:\Documents and Settings\Digital\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\Mobile Applications

15. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Those have been gone for a while, I think about two months ago. I remember because it was when the C64 emulator last got updated, and they weren't allowed to release Paperboy.

Off topic, but god Manomio, you suck. A dozen C64 games don't last two months.

16. Brrrt

Brrrt Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I want everything legal....but I paid for them. They are in iTunes but when sync them back to my iPhone, they throw errors about not being able to re install.....

17. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I don't have paperboy, but re-installed Centipede without issues, and also installed to iPad also without issues... I am running latest OS on iPhone 3Gs and the iPad... not sure what the problem is - bummer though...

18. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Have you tried taking off and reinstalling another game?

You may want to try a restore of your phone just in case. If you're getting errors, and you did legitimately buy and download these games, that might have something to do with your device, and not the games.

I would try deleting and reinstalling a different' app that's not Atari, and see what happens.

What error message do you get?

19. bmn02102

bmn02102 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Piracy is making a copy of something without paying for it. I don't see how any of the posts in this thread suggest that's the case.

It's possible, and would almost certainly come under fair use since you not only purchased it, but have a record of that purchase. As for the morality of it, it's never unethical to use something you paid for, as long as you're not harming anyone by doing so.

However, I cannot provide links or information to help you, so please don't ask me to. Why? Because this site is hosted in the US, and is therefore covered by the DMCA's anti-circumvention clause. While it's fair use for you to circumvent protection for personal use, it's not fair use for me or anyone else to publish tools or information on how to do so (some people might get technical and argue that doesn't hold in all cases, but it definitely does when you're talking about a publicly accessible (i.e. here) commercial website (ad revenue counts as "commercial")).

Yes it's a poorly written law, no doubt about that, even if I can somewhat understand what they were trying to achieve with it; but I'm not looking to get into a debate about the DMCA here. All I can say is that you'll have to find a non-US hosted forum if you want to ask about that.

20. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Just a note- if you can find the files for Centipede, Paperboy, etc. in that folder, you will have to highlight, then click and drag the files into iTunes to load them again.

Your files should not have disappeared unless you deleted them purposefully from your library (and then they would disappear from your device on sync). If you downloaded the games through your device, iTunes automatically copies them over when you sync. I have had some games disappear from the app store before, but they remained in my iTunes library...so i'm not exactly sure what happened for you. :(