Universal Lunar Silver Star Story Touch - (by SoMoGa)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Vertigo.Siva

Vertigo.Siva Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Cupertino, CA
    I just wonder if it will be retina enabled, at least enhanced a little. Chrono Trigger iOS looked pretty good if I remember right.

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yeah, wasn't thinking of all that. Guess I look at other iOS games with a similar art style and many are 20 MB or less. Probably thinking more along the lines of N64 and earlier games.The cut scenes and music probably make up the bulk of the size for this one.

3. furushotakeru

furushotakeru Active Member

Aug 29, 2011
    It is retina enabled for the iPhone and looks fantastic. I do not know how it will look on the retina iPad.

4. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Sort of looks like a cross between Chrono Trigger and FF: Dimensions. I've never heard of this either, I just realised that every time I came across this in the upcoming section I was thinking of Lufia

5. relsircspotcat

relsircspotcat Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Apps Developer
    ugh this game looks crap on the new ipad. Looks good in the iphone though. also i feel like this is a bad port. you have the option to play portrait or landscape but I think they should have just made it landscape. Basically its annoying if you dont lock the orientation.

The starting screen with the standard UI tabs also doesn't feel like its a game.

6. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Voice acting too as a matter of fact. At least, if it's a true port from the Saturn version.

7. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    So, you've had a chance to play it? How are the controls and menus?

8. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #48 SkyMuffin, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    o_O I'm confused, you're mad that they gave the player more options?
    It does everything better than most other JRPGs. Full voice acting and cutscenes (which was pretty novel at the time), very smooth gameplay and combat mechanics compared to others in the genre, memorable characters and story, excellent music, etc. It's just great in every way.

9. ilStugots

ilStugots Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    If you've ever played Lufia, this is basically that game.

10. nall

nall Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    For those asking, in Lunar, the core assets of the game are around 50MB, the fully animated cutscenes are about 375MB, and the rest is audio/music. The original Saturn/PSX game had synthesized music and this release has a remastered soundtrack. (Remember that the original game shipped on 1 Saturn or 2 PlayStation discs.)

For comparison, Chrono Trigger, on the other hand, was only like 4MB originally. The rest of the iOS release is just uncompressed music, which as far as I can tell was not changed/remastered from the original release.

11. reverse channel

reverse channel Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Can anyone confirm if the voice track is the same as the PSX version? I doubt SoMoGa would redub everything, but apparently the former CEO of Working Designs (Vic Ireland) is kind of a jerk when it comes to this game and I could see him not authorizing the original English voice track.

12. TurboRuhland

TurboRuhland Member

Jun 22, 2012

Now there's a game that needs a rerelease on iOS. Not that I won't be getting this one for sure.

13. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAH! Brilliant. Brilliant brilliant. Agreed, completely.

This doesn't happen to have cloud saving does it? I want I everywhere all the time and I want it now. NOW. NOW. NOW.

14. furushotakeru

Aug 29, 2011
    I was one of the testers for the iOS port. I found the controls to be good (although I do not like playing in portrait mode, I vastly prefer landscape). The UI was redone to be iOS native - no shoehorning of a controller scheme onto a touch screen.

15. nall

nall Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    We didn't redub it. An English dub we could use was provided for us.

Although I will note there is a virtual d-pad, should you want one :)

16. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    Nice $7! That's not bad! Definitely gonna pick this up, I remember played Lunar on my gameboy for hours.

17. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear the controls are doable, but the game's played in portrait mode? Wow, I would think everything would be extra tiny, or am I misunstanding you?

18. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Thanks this made my day, i prefer virtual dpads every time. Instant buy and very excited about it!

19. furushotakeru

Aug 29, 2011
    You can play it either way, but if you hold it in portrait everything is very tiny and the bottom half of the screen is taken over by a virtual controller (which you are not required to use, touch controls still work fine if you can manage on such a small area). Much better in landscape, IMO!

20. Vertigo.Siva

Vertigo.Siva Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Cupertino, CA
    Awesome! Thanks, will buy it once its in the App Store!