Free Assets! Forum Project

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by Angleus, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Angleus

Angleus Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I work for no man!!
    Georgia USA
    Hey Touch Arcade community!

I want to start a thread that will hopefully one day be extremely useful. What I would like to do is have up to 5 people post a request for a game asset they need. Basically any 3D model, texture, sound effect/theme song or even just plain old help. So here is what i'm asking and proposing:

If you post a simple question as a forum topic please post it here as well. What I want to do is create an "open book" so in short every question asked and answered I will record on my mac via neo office and eventually write a free online (pdf) book on how to get started with iPhone gaming! However what will hopefully make this special is that I want to include many assets for games under some sort of open source license. So in theory people can download and use these assets for personal or even commercial projects!

The skills I have to offer are mainly in Audio, so if you need a sound effect (like footsteps, metal banging, explosions etc.) please do not be afraid to ask for it. I will ask that people of this forum who are good with say, 3D modeling pick up the slack in that area, as well as for those who can texture.

Think of it, if there was a pdf file to help you make a simple 3D world that also provided some skyboxes, flares, simple objects like a crate or barrel, it would make jumping into this a lot more fun and doable.

Just to be clear, I am NOT asking for money! In fact, I think it would be rather useless for what I am trying to accomplish here. So, please PM me and or reply to this thread if you are interested in helping with this!!!

Also feel free to post an "asset" you need want for a game or app. Please, do not post things such as:

"I want to make a FPS like Halo! Can I please have 12 guns, enemies like 'grunts' fully rigged and textured? Oh, and can you make it for me!?"

The point of this is to make the learning process easier not make it so that those on my end are making games for people on command! Any post that is to ridiculous, I will respond to addressing that and ask you to tone it down a notch. Please respect that I am trying to do a good thing here, please don't overwork it!

Also, please write back with your thoughts on this idea,

-Angelus

2. Angleus

Angleus Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I work for no man!!
    Georgia USA
    Thanks for the links! I am most certainly going to take a long look at the first link you posted! It looks somewhat like what I want to do myself! Sweetness...thanks again! Also guys, feel free to post a tip or fact or whatever you think is helpful even if people don't ask first. This applies to artwork as well! So if you have some 3D models, textures etc. lying about your HD feel free to upload them to a site such as mediafire and share them! OR a screenshot in the program you made it with!

-Angelus

3. TouchChatterbox

TouchChatterbox Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    #4 TouchChatterbox, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
    - I need art & sound assets of a theme park/water park nature.
    - Three uses - both in terms of iDevice releases & website - the iDevice releases will be associated with the website.
    - People able to help, please send me a PM with your contact email address/queries.

Cheers.

In return I'm happy to offer copy generation & web services. I am also a filmmaker so I can shoot some video for you to use in your app/game.

4. Angleus

Angleus Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I work for no man!!
    Georgia USA
    #5 Angleus, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
    Hey guys,

I want to also let you know that I can make themes/menu music really fast. Here is a very simple "Semi-Epic" theme I made in literally 10 mins!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?mnznddhjjmb

I can of course to much more than that if I really try! PM me for better examples and if you want one!

TouchChatterbox,

I sent you a PM ;)

EDIT: I almost forgot! Any music I make you guys is 100% free, this meaning that I do not even require credit if used! Really the only thing I ask is you don't sell the song itself!!! (USe my stuff for personal or commercial use!) - royalty free!!!

5. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    This looks like a cool idea. I was wondering if you could make a waterfall sound loop I need for my game. The game takes place on a waterfall so I want it to be something that would blend into the music and other sound effects so you wouldn't really notice it when you start playing.

6. Angleus

Angleus Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I work for no man!!
    Georgia USA
    Hey Yffum,

No problem! I will get started on your Waterfall loop as soon as I can! I will PM you with it the moment I have it, if you like it all post it here.

-Angelus

7. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
  8. Angleus

Angleus Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I work for no man!!
    Georgia USA
    Hey guys,

I just finished the waterfall loop for Yffum, so here it is for anybody needing a waterfall loop.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zz1qygiikmq

Please PM me if you decided to use it, although it's not a requirement.

Enjoy the first addition to the free asset archive! If we get more stuff I'll make a new thread just for that.

9. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Hey Angelus (read your signature, missing a close brace there :)),
    It's great that you're writing people free music, but I would like to know, why? If you have talent you should definitely charge for it. Are you building up your portfolio or something?

10. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    #11 Yffum, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
    And he's missing a quotation mark too.

It's called generosity, but I still think this is more than generous of him to do this and I am grateful. Thanks once again.

11. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    I agree. :)

Is it really good audio? Like professional?

12. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    I asked for something simple that wouldn't keep your attention for long so it's not an amazing rainforest bubbling falls. He said he recorded a sink, then added a little waterfall sound he found on the internet and some white noise. It's exactly what I wanted, something not too in your face. Listen to it for yourself! And it loops too!

I bet he could've made something a little less staticy and a bit more bubbly/waterfally, but again, this is exactly what I asked for. +1 :)

13. Angleus

Angleus Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I work for no man!!
    Georgia USA
    Hey Guys,

froggy1233,

I chose to give away some of my audio for free for a few reasons. 1) I am only 17! The more stuff I get into a actual project the better. Not to many people want to hire someone my age for Audio...so, this is a way for me to build up some cred. Also, I have always been a fan of the Open Source movement. So I found a way I can contribute to it somewhat.

Yffum,

I am so glad you like it!!

-Angelus