Universal Temple Run (by Imangi Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Amazing game.

I like the fact that some obstacles only slow you down.

Statistics are a great touch too though there are some high values that don't seem to match the time and distance I've played so far.

5/5!

2. iStephen

iStephen Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    I was also a beta tester for this game! It really brings fresh life into the genre and we all know Imangi makes awesome games. It's really a no-brainer for a buck!

3. cameron331

cameron331 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Really enjoying the game. On my 10th or so game I made it to 4000+ meters, it was crazy stressful and fun. The IAP's are not necessary. Definitely recommended.

4. Watabou

Watabou Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Didn't imangi make max advanture? Can't seem to remember really. But since I enjoyed max adventure, I'll be getting this as well. :)

5. cameron331

cameron331 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Yep they did, and other games like Harbor Master. I buy their new games pretty much automatically at this point.

6. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Have been working, so haven't been able to post until now; I thought I'd add a little more info regarding the coins and upgrades for those interested and/or concerned.

First off, none of the upgrades are necessary at all in order to enjoy or progress in the game; they're either helpers to keep you in the game if you screw up, or coin boosters to increase the number of coins you get during your run. I played the game on and off throughout the day, and in under an accumulated hour of play, I've already unlocked half of the upgrades.

At the very outset of the game, you should be earning over 100 coins every 30 seconds, and with a couple of coin boost upgrades, you should be making double or triple that. Upgrade costs rise at each step, from 250, to 1000, to 2500, to 5000 (the highest I've reached so far; I assume the last two steps are 7500 and 10,000).

This is very much a case of IAP being for the impatient, but honestly, if you actually play the game at all, you'll have more than enough coins in short order. The upgrade progression in terms of time and cost actually feels much like it does in Vineking, for those who have played that.

7. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I think I found the Statistics glitch: Longest Run has the same Highest Score value

I hope it can be fixed soon.

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I saw that too. At least the GC listing for distance seems accurate.

The IAP does seem purely optional as most of the upgrades seem more than puchaseable. My one gripe, however, is with the resurection power-up which looks like a player can have as many lives as they care to buy which renders the global leaderboards pretty meaningless...unless, like in Harbor Master, they limit its use to no more than once per run.

9. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I feel my 1,300,000 hi-score will be overtaken soon :(

10. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, it's two per run. (I have about 70 in stock now!!)

11. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Next to iconic game Canabalt this is currently the best running game in the store to me. SO freaking addictive!

12. kaboom132

kaboom132 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    As someone who's been testing this game since it's alpha stages, I have to say this is a fantastic game - a quality release that we've come to expect from Imangi. Looking forward to picking this up soon!

13. amigoni

amigoni Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Italy
    Great Game

I really like this game too. I think it was really well executed. The controls are intuitive and work really well. The game runs smoothly and looks great. I am also a big fan of the theme. Definately a buy.

14. amigoni

amigoni Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Italy
    Oh Yeah. The upgrades are not necessary. You earn enough money without.

15. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    For someone who is not especially good at runners, what would you expect the average play time to be? I love Tiny Wingsin part because even at first I was given my time to play. Is this a one-slip-up-and-you're-done type of runner?

16. barryweiser

barryweiser Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    This game is a huge surprise for me. I try not to buy endless games any more, but old habits die hard. I am SO happy I picked this one up. Solid is an understatement. The controls are well executed and unique. An overall interactive experience. This one will have you constantly saying, "ok...just one more game". After about an hour you will wonder where the time went.

Enthusiastically recommended!!

17. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Woot! Launch day!

Thanks so much for the nice words, guys, glad you're enjoying it! We already have some crazy high scores on the leaderboards, so I guess I'm out of the running for top 10 already...

Thanks for reporting that bug in Stats. My bad. We already have an update to fix that, but are just waiting a couple of days to submit to see if any other issues pop up. If they do, definitely let us know.

Also, any ideas for other features/achievements/anything you'd like to see in the update?

And ImNoSuperman, thanks for starting the thread, as always. You win :)

18. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Amazing game! Gratz on the release btw. I loved beta testing Temple Run. It is by far my favourite casual endless runner on iOS that I've ever played. :D

19. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Any plans for ipad version? I already got the iPhone version and after trying it for a few minutes, now I REALLY WANT the ipad version asap. Get on it already :D

20. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

Why not make the game universal? Im sure that would make everyone happier *cough cough Gabrien.:D