Do you guys think Apple should release a controller for iOS?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by hardA TOEnail, Nov 17, 2012.

1. hardA TOEnail

hardA TOEnail Member

Oct 31, 2012
    I love iOS gaming most of the time. However, there are those times where a real controller would be great. 3rd party controllers have severely limited support.

Would you guys/gals like to see a controller from apple? All it needs is an analog stick on one side, a couple buttons and an analog stick on the right, and two triggers. No reason to add extra shoulder buttons or two movement pads on the left.

I'd love to be able to use a real controller for a lot of the great platformers on iOS and a shooter or two. Imagine a game like wild blood on a controller. And if this were to happen I'd buy the HDMI connector finally.

Also this would be an option. Games should detect when the controller is turned on then the on-screen controls would disappear. If it was made by apple, people would be more likely to buy it so devs would want their games to be compatible with it. If it were optional in games, we could choose to take it with us or not.

The price shouldn't be more than 29.99. It will be aimed at mobile gamers who buy cheap games so they should try to avoid a premium (even though they will price it high). It can small like a ps1 controller with a 10-hr battery life if it charges with simple usb.

Just wishing out loud. Thanks for listening. By the way, I'm an ipad iOS gamer. This may not be ideal for phone gamers because I think you would want to hold that screen closer to you.

2. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, as an ipad owner I would like to see this as well! If all the games were compatible with it, that'd be great! None of these things justify a purchase for me otherwise. Thought the iCade would be cool, but in the end, it wasn't worth the hassle of taking my ipad out of it's case going back and forth with it for the few games that work with it. A wireless hand-held controller that uses a couple of double A batteries would do me just fine! I'd buy that in a snap!

3. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd ever want for a long time, but I changed my idea later.
    controller, mouse and keyboard or touch screen, everything is created by human, nothing is supposed to be authoritative to play games.
    different games and devices suits to different controls, I mean every different game, not just different genres, with heavy aim assisst, I believe ipad touch screen did a better job than a controller in NOVA 3.
    there are many examples.

4. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    It probably will have a lightning port. Truthfully I prefer the lightning port over micro USB since micro USB isn't the best port.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    No, I'd rather they played to their strengths than amplified their weaknesses. The last thing I want is more crappy console games, we've got consoles for that. It'd encourage laziness from developers, innovation would take a dive and compatibility problems would increase.

6. Heck yeah, wireless joystick and sd card slot are on my most have list from apple.

7. earthclaw

earthclaw Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Freakin Space Alien
    Alienville
    Its a touch device people, not a console called the iBOX..:p :D . go buy a PS3 or xbox360 if you want a controller. IMO

8. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Apple should do a console.
    The iBox.

9. earthclaw

earthclaw Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Freakin Space Alien
    Alienville
    It could be in the shape of a giant apple with a dollar sign on the front :D...all jokeing aside...the ibox would be cool...then we could use the ipod/ipad as the controller .:D

10. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    seriouly, with a apple tv and controllers, this could be a gaming console.
    Not all the people need AAA shooting games.
    have some friends play together in front of TV is super fun, all you need is just serveal controllers.
    and you even don't need a apple TV, use a cable connect the idevice to TV would be more accessible.

11. gambitph

gambitph Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Game Developer
    Philippines
    No they should release a controller. At best, I think they should release a Bluetooth controller API though.

12. hardA TOEnail

hardA TOEnail Member

Oct 31, 2012
    I have both a ps3 and an xbox 360. However I'm a Nursing student and have no time to get involved in a console game. I'm lucky to get through a game on ipad. I need the convenience the ipad offers.

I know there are games that work well with touch controls but there are others that do not. I'm not a big FPS player but most platformers require precise control that I can't get right on the touchscreen.

I also want the alternative of holding the ipad in front of me. I'd rather put it on a stand so I could hold the controller in my lap or wherever. I only have a TV in my living room so I'd love to put the ipad on a stand and lay in bed with a controller and play a game. I hate having to lay in bed and hold the ipad over my face to play a game.

Also, for the haters, I'm just making conversation and encouraging others to share their ideas. I love to hear about people's creativity.

13. hardA TOEnail

hardA TOEnail Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah even an API would be great. Wouldn't take much effort for devs to map the buttons if it was integrated into the OS. I think Apple would release the controller themselves before releasing an API for others. They really like control.

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #14 Vovin, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    Two days ago, I accidentally discovered that I can make phone calls with my iDevice. It suddenly bleeped and my mom was on the other side! :eek:

Kidding aside, don't think they will release a controller. These are multi-functional devices that can play games, not consoles.
    If it has been Apple's intention, you could already buy a controller.

15. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I've never understood why apple restricts the bluetooth profiles in the first place, it always annoyed me I couldn't use a headset with my iPod.

One of the things I like best with android is I can do what I want, bluetooth controllers work and USB ones can as well through an USB OTG cable. think theres also apps for wiimote support on Google Play.

I seriously doubt Apple will change things unless they directly profit from it and in that case it would probably be an official Apple made controller only.

16. Chaoguy2006

Chaoguy2006 New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Games Design & Production Masters Student
    #16 Chaoguy2006, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    At first my gut reaction thinks alot of iPhone games don't need it. But then again, whether you love or loathe touch-screen style controller, a controller of some kind would open up different kinds of games. I can't see it happening though. As much as I'd love a full on rpg-like game on iOS to the scale of a handheld console games, We all still have a place for those short 10-30mins blasts of flinging, poking, cutting, and point building.

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    No I don't want one. Especially not for Gameloft FPS games

18. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    Absolutely. I love my gaming controller on my android tablet, and if it was allowed to be used on its devices, I would pay 3x the price just because of how much better and more reliable iOS games are than android.