My Game is Launching soon... What should I do?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RoozMTS, Mar 4, 2011.

1. RoozMTS

RoozMTS Active Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Co-founder of MindTrip Studios
    New Jersey
    So my game, Ring Blade, will be available for purchase (99 cents) on the appstore on Tuesday.

Ummm... Any one here have any advice on what I should do to like promote it and stuff? I'm trying to find the right balance between letting people know about the game and judging for themselves and sounding too "marketing-y" and being annoying?

Suggestions?

2. userfume

userfume Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    One of the free game a day things? They can really help games (islash, cover orange etc)

3. RoozMTS

RoozMTS Active Member

Feb 8, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hmmm... I thought about that, but I think it's too early considering the game isn't even available yet.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You could start off with a sale (mention on the description it'll be going up within a couple of days) or start a promo code competition here on the forums. Or both.

5. RoozMTS

RoozMTS Active Member

Feb 8, 2011
    New Jersey
    The game is starting at 99 cents. We thought about making it 1.99 for the sole purpose of dropping the price... Actually no. Someone suggested that to me and I was like no because it's 99 cents so it should be 99 cents. So I dont think the price can drop below .99.

How do the promo code contests work?

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    When your app got accepted you should have gotten 50 promo codes from Apple. Maybe you have to locate them somewhere, I dunno exactly how it works... then you can give them out however you want. Some devs hand them out to anyone who asks, some just post them in threads (I'd recommend against that, they just get taken by lurkers and you get zero feedback) and some make up their own competitions.

I would suggest only handing out a few if you do that. You get 50 more with each update you submit but it's safe to keep some spare and you don't just wanna give your game away to too many people.

7. alyfantis

alyfantis Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Hokkaido, Japan
    I'm not a marketing expert, but...

My advice is to stick around the forums here and other sites and chat up your game, reply to people who ask questions about it, etc.

I like buying from developers that I think are really involved in their product, plus it helps keep your game in people's minds. Don't spam, of course.

8. anualisher

anualisher Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    IT
    You're right. Don't dwell on making much profit at first.

9. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    1stly, Create a thread here in the upcoming forums.
    Tease us with awesome details like concept art, then characters, story, Teaser vid., gameplay vid.
    Hold contests (Do not WASTE promocodes, let the likers earn them & they will leave a review)
    Think about a Lite version & content, listen to players, think for the game maker's good on a long term basis, not just this game!

Many games from gr8 studios have gone free for a day to get that push to reach the top 100.
    Many from Craneballs, Nimblebit, the 1st one from forsaken media have gone free & they remain in PpL's mind when the next game comes out!

10. Cellary

Cellary Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Promote and upgrade your game from time to time according to customers' needs.

11. WickedAwesome

WickedAwesome Active Member

May 8, 2010
    Concept Wizard
    Melbourne, Australia
    The Kit.

I take it you have an EPK ready along with other promotional material to send out to the various sites and reviewers?

There are some great threads on here about that and some even have entire lists that can be helpful.

M@