How amny times can you 'gift' an app

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by derpderp, Nov 18, 2011.

1. derpderp

derpderp Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of giving away allot of copies of my game as a promotion, but I don't want it to be a free app.

I've decided to do this by 'gifting' the app to people who like my facebook page.

Is there a limit to how many times I could gift the app?

Thanks in advance!

2. spongeforge

spongeforge Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I didn't hear yet that there is a limit.

However, I didn't use this extensively. Only once gifted maybe some 15 copies on a single day. There were no problems at all.

3. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    It's worth considering that you can only gift an app for the same store as you have an account in, so if you only have a US iTunes account, you can only gift to other US iTunes users, at least that's my understanding.

4. spongeforge

spongeforge Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Yes, this is true.

It is possible to get gift cards for other countries, BUT: you will not be able to send gifts with that money loaded to your account.

5. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I'd recommend giving your promo codes out exclusively through PM so they're not wasted on Lurkers, and also, you might want to have some contest on TA where the winner/s get a promo code. In my experience, people don't like to connect their gaming to someone's facebook page like that for different reasons.

6. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Read this post from Imangi Studios when they tried to gift 1000 copies of their app: http://www.imangistudios.com/2010/03/gifting-apps-new-promotion-tool-for.html

7. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    That isn't a wise move, gifting will cost you a lot of money and time for very little benefits. Making your app free for few days could bring you a lot of exposure for almost no cost. Check my latest thread about my experience with Jump Birdy Jump:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=113355

JC

8. derpderp

derpderp Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Thanks all, lots of good info.

9. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

The other downside of gifting (unless they changed it) is that the person receiving the gift can't leave a review.