Universal Storm in a Teacup (by Cobra Mobile Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 18, 2011.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    No it isn't. Your obtusement is growing more tiresome with every post.

To clarify for other trolls: I'm not comparing this game with any Mario titles. In fact, one of the things I like about the game is that it's not trying to be Mario. It has its own flavor and gameplay, which I very much appreciate.

As to the length of the levels, the only way they can be completed in under a minute is if you actually choose not to play the game. The point of a Storm in a Teacup level is not to reach the end of it. I would think that that would be obvious to anyone who played the game, but I guess I am wrong about that. It is, of course, your right to play the game any way you want, but choosing to play it stupidly kind of disqualifies your opinion of it.

2. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    umm... pretty sure people are meaning one of the best platformers for iOS not for any platform ever... not sure where you got that from?

3. kaboom132

kaboom132 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    I am changing the topic of this conversation to actual elements of the game. As far a story (or lack thereof) goes, I'd love to see a "Diary of Cloud" that gets updated every couple levels or so chronicling Cloud's thoughts as he takes Storm through the various worlds.

Also, I haven't heard the soundtrack to this game, but I'm listening to my own music instead. Just saying, A Fine Frenzy is a PERFECT soundtrack while playing. :D

4. kaboom132

Apr 30, 2010
    Oh yeah, is Crystal not working for anyone else?

5. subtract

subtract Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Well, I think it's a great game, and pretty much a must have. It's obviously not the greatest platformer ever, but it's a very good one. The challenge lies in trying to get through each level collecting all the sugar cubes and the stickers without losing a life to record a time. This simply cannot be done in just 40 minutes total gameplay ;)

I've completed all the levels (with multiple tries on some), but only managed seven or eight where a time has been recorded. I think I'd prefer it if the achievements could be done separately (League of Evil style) since getting through a level without losing a life takes some doing on the later stages (never mind trying to pick up all the items too).

It's cute, fun, the controls are great (could do with slightly bigger buttons, maybe) and the floating/jumping mechanic feels right. There's the odd lag at times, but nothing too major. I'm enjoying it, and it was well worth my €0.79.

6. smes3817

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    man, some of those damn stickers are hard as hell to find/reach, especially in the boat levels! i LOVE this game! great visuals and gameplay and super addictive :cool:

7. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    not working here also...

8. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    O.K. Prozak you made your statement. You don't like the game and thats fine and I respect that but just because your not fond of it doesn't mean everyone else is going to agree with your opinion. It's like your trying to convince people to agree with your statement and not everyone is going to wether you like it or not. It may not be the best platform but it sure as hell is FAR from being the worst. Also nobody here ever said this was better than Mario/Sonic. Like someone else said, where the hell did that come from?

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm not particularly easily satisfied, I just don't tend to spend excessive amounts of time in topics for games I don't enjoy for no reason other than to argue about it and belittle people. That's just pathetic.

I don't like Doodle Jump either, can't stand it. The fact you're trying to win this ridiculous argument by pulling random lies from thin air just goes to show how weak your excuses really are. You just come across as a rather boring and uneducated gamer, totally limited in the scope of what you find enjoyable, missing out on the fun other people are experiencing and growing more and more bitter as a result of it. A good number of people here like Storm In A Teacup and if you can't get over it then perhaps you're the one who needs to go cry more.

10. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    Playing on Ipad2, this game is pure joy. Really excellent fun, The inertia is perfect, takes approx1-2 minutes to get used to it, but once it clicks, combined with the clever jump mechanic really makes completing/exploring a level loads of fun. The graphics are great, but we can all see that from the vids that have been shown.
    Best compliment I can say is that when you are trying to get that particularly difficult jump to grab that sticker, I can feel myself leaning (even though there are obviously no tilt controls:)) to try to grab for that edge!

Very well done and can highly recommend for people who like fun!

11. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I just completed the game and thought I would check in here for everyone's impressions, but instead I saw unnecessary drama.

Fine. Some of you are either brilliant at the game or just don't bother to explore every aspect of it. It certainly did not take me only 30mins to complete the story mode (it clocked at 1:19:01.76, whatever that means), 10 levels of which I still need to replay to get every sticker.

For me it was a satisfying game with lovely level designs and good controls. I did not get any framerate drops at all and it played great on iPad2. The only complaint I have is the abrupt ending. I was expecting, I dunno, more of a story-like finale. Instead I just dodged around, got the items, and headed for goal. Otherwise it's now one of my all time favorite iOS platformer.

@Scarypharoah: I know what you mean by leaning, I did that throughout the game too!

12. bluecomb84

bluecomb84 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Debt Collector
    Long Island, NY
    I agree with any sentiments that this is one of the best platformers on iOS. Between the challenges of trying to find all the stickers and timing your jumps in an attempt to avoid losing a life I can't stop myself from playing. Also, imagine my surprise when I had no problem playing it on my old 2nd gen iPod :eek:

13. smes3817

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    ok this is driving me nuts! anyone know how you're supposed to reach the sticker on the tower in level 12? i'm thinking there is some sort of trick i'm missing. i have every other level perfect through level 24 except that one :mad:

14. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    #114 Snooptalian, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011
    Love this game. I am trying to complete this game by getting perfect on each level before moving to the next level. Only completed 12 so far and now cannot for the life of me find a sticker on level 13. Anyone know where it is?

EDIT: Just found the sticker. Suckers are hidden good! :)

15. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

I have to say, while I loved the first half or so of this game, I'm up to level 28 at the moment and feel like I'm "done." The difficulty has simply crossed the threshold of frustration for me. What's worse is, it's clearly at the level it is to make up for the inexplicable shortness of the levels. Why not simply make the levels a bit longer is beyond me. They felt just right at the beginning while the mindset was of a journey's start, but half way through the game feel simply unsatisfying even if I manage to complete one after the 20th try.

Still love the mechanic, the core design of the thing, but sadly imagination and common sense went south in the level design department around half way through.

16. smes3817

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    how'd you get level 12??? i've found it but just can't reach it...

17. Squeaker

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Never mind the double tap thing. Do continuous tapping in a steady reasonably fast rhythm and you'll get to heights. Get to the moving platform first and when it soars to its highest point head for the sticker in that tap tap tap tap tap tap manner.

18. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    What???!!!! No credits??? :p

19. Squeaker

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Ah ha yeah, I would never forget that brilliant soul who showed me the lighted pathway when I struggled with the stupid double tap instruction. Thank you, oh mighty pluto6 *bows deep* :D:D

20. kaboom132

Apr 30, 2010
    What level do you guys suggest doing for the "Complete a level without jumping" achievement? I tried level 10 (the target range one) but apparently firing the cannon counts as jumping.