Best tower defense games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by bramblett05, Nov 20, 2012.

1. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I don't know if I can get into bloons ill wait fore a lite version or 36000 points in free appslots I gotta 6000 more

2. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    #22 tabs, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    TD's I've owned and played...

OLD SCHOOL TDs:

StarDefense (so addicted with this way back iPod Touch days)
    GeoDefense (vector td)
    GeoDefense Swarm (vector td)
    Sentinel 1-3 (first of the few TD series with good graphics?)
    The Creeps (cute, fun, original, in the sense of breaking obstacles, power ups)
    Fieldrunners (original)
    Crystal Defenders (expensive, still awesome)

NEWER TDs:

Kingdom Rush (the best, hands down)
    Fieldrunners 2 (still awesome, despite iPad version bugs)
    Elf Defense Eng (great game, IAP based)
    Lich Defense (great game, IAP based)
    ERA TD (pretty decent game, can't wait for the updates)
    Tower Defense: Lost Earth (pretty decent)
    Carrot Fantasy (one of the best free TD game, much like Creeps)
    Jelly Defense (cute graphics, find it a bit boring though)
    Gem Keeper (some twist, but nothing much to offer)

WAITING FOR:

Kingdom Rush Sequel
    300 Dwarves

*and I can't remember the rest. By the way, these are TD's with a set of path or create your path type of game.

3. Itchyant

Itchyant Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    My top two are kingdom rush and pvz. I honestly think they are by far the best.

Have also spent some time with gem keeper, elf defence, jelly defence, geo defence, tiny heroes. All good!

4. JohnSimond

JohnSimond Active Member

Sep 6, 2012
    What a great list!

Kingdom Rush, FR2 and ERA are now my fav TDs!

5. tally.bookman

tally.bookman Member

Jan 21, 2013
    #25 tally.bookman, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    This thread is a bit old, but I just had to post my surprise that Tower Madness wasn't mentioned. It has been my favorite TD game since the iPhone 1 came out. It was one of the first apps out and the devs have been updating it regularly since then. It started with only 4 or 5 maps but now has around 30 or 40 for free and and another few dozen through IAP. It also has - I think - the widest selection of towers of any TD game on the iPhone, and all them upgrade At leadt five times. Several, however, upgrade a sixth time to a special mega-version of the tower. The Mortar, for example, upgrades to fire Nukes. Watch the creeps walk straight into a cute little mushroom cloud and fireball - heh heh heh!

Tower Madness also has one of the single best features I have seen in any game in the App Store: game replay. Some of the levels are very challenging, but you can access the built-in leaderboard system (it also uses GameCenter for those who want it) where you can see who has the top 50 scores for the day, the week, and the month. You can then tap any of those specific games/scores to get detailed info about the game, like how long it took them, how many towers were built and sold, $$$ spent, etc. but the best part is that you can THEN tap "Replay" (or maybe "Watch"; i forget, but it is obvious) and watch an exact replay of the game you are interested in. During playback, there is a slider to control the replay speed from 0x (paused) to 8x (to zip through the boring parts to get to the info you need - like how the bloody %}€>~%# did he kill that flyer boss in wave 42?).

Finally, the game is designed in such a way that there are many ways to replay every level and challenge yourself or compete with others. I had a blast one night right after some new levels came out, and everyone was scrambling to beat the levels and get their games in the leaderboards. I enjoy playing all the levels in all the modes, but i am not nearly good enough to be among the first to beat any level in its hardest "normal mode". but i am pretty good at getting on the boards with a high score in "Hard"l Endless" mode. In that mode, one of the new maps proved really really difficult to get any kind of success going. Over the course of the evening, i noticed on the leader board for Endless Hard for the troublesome map, that me and another player were doing the best of everyone trying get a good game. Still, though doing better than others, we still both kept trying strategy after strategy - we just couldn't get beyond a few thousand points (a low score in this situation). We bith kept posting new "high scores" just a few points more than each other. Then, suddenly I saw his name by a new entry at the top of the chart - he had gotten to 20,000! Dang! He figured it out before me! I watched his game and saw how he had done it. Impressive darn him! :). I copied his strategy, of course, and kept experimenting. Turned out there was just no other strategy to get through the early game except his. But then he stalled again as did I and everyone else. Now all the games making the leader boards now scored around 20,000 and all had copied his starting strategy. But after the beginning game, the strategies varied wildly. Then I had a breakthrough and got to 70,000. Then quickly played again, refined the technique and posted a 125,000 point game. It wasn't long before i saw other players scoring similarly, but It was an ego-boosting moment to see all those players in the top 50 of that mode suddenly start using my strategy. So between us, me and my unknown collaborator/competitor had "beaten" that mode of that level - at least until someone figures out how to dramatically out score us :).

FWIW, I am in no way affiliated with the people that make the game - they don't know me from Adam (is that the right old saying? Sounds weird now). And no disrespect intended towards the other tower defense games mentioned in this thread; I have played almost all of them and enjoyed many of them. But Tower Madness is my all time favorite. I don't *think* it's just my - perhaps idiosyncratic - opinion: I believe TM won a Best Strategy Game of the Year award not long ago - one sponsored by a substantial entity in mobile gaming (ie, something like a TouchArcade game of the year and not a www.one_of_a_million_identical_mobile_gaming_sites.com game of the year. Just can't remember which one now.

Tower Madness is absolutely worth trying if you like classic Tower Defense - though you can actively manage your defense, you don't have to. I highly recommend anyone who like TD to give it a try.

Cheers!
    Tally.bookman

6. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    #26 tabs, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
    So any new Tower Defense Games? In anyway, wanted to share something.

I tried Royal Defense by 8floor and it is pretty decent but short. Updates should address that as the dev seems involved here in the forums.

I wanted to try Stratosphere but I'm afraid the single mode is going to be slow and boring.

Dead Stop by Chilingo looks decent too. Since I don't find the past few weeks of releases interesting, I would probably get this.

I got Bloons TD 5 during a sale and was amazed as to how much towers and maps this game have. Highly Recommended.

Any other? :D

WAITING FOR: Kingdom Rush Frontier, Sentinel 4

7. Scellow

Scellow New Member

Feb 17, 2013
    # 1 = Crystal Defenders

Very hard, but this is what we want to see in a game ( Difficulty <3 )