iPad Tower of Fortune - (by Game Stew)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 29, 2012.

1. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I haven't beaten the game yet..but I think I'm maybe 3 hours in (I did die on purpose for my first few characters). The progress at first isn't bad..but later on its a real grind to save up money to unlock the later stage (unless your really good at timing and can stop each reel on what you want). The game is the most fun in short spurts...it's repetitive in long plays...

One thing to keep in mind is death is permanent where you lose all your items and start from level 1 (like the rogue games)..but you do keep your money. Every level up you get to pick from 3 random perks. Its like Dungeon Raid or Solomon's Keep/Boneyard.. I guess the replayability is starting over and trying different perk builds. Maybe you can go full attack stat..or full defense attacks..or all crit..or however you want to experiment (again..like Dungeon Raid or Solomon's Keep).

Overall, the game is a lot of fun, especially for 0.99... It's got great charm to me. The dev seems good about updates so far since there's already been 2 content updates and the game hasn't been out that long yet.

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well I've been playing on and off for a couple of weeks now and I must have put in quite a few hours and still haven't unlocked the last area. I just keep playing the areas over and over again. I've got all the items the bosses drops and and bought quite a few of the shop items. It's the game I keep putting on if you have any spare time from 30seconds for a fight up to anytime you like. For 69p it's a steal.

3. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    New update is out :)

3 new items to buy, and 3 new items to loot.
    New fury mode animations, and a gold modifier that yields more gold the higher level you gain!

w00t

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Rockin it too. :D

5. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I played the game for 1 1/2 days. The first day I purchased it, I played for 1/2 a day and then died at the end of the day. The second day I played intermittently throughout the day and completed it late that night with all of the equipment. I have yet to go back and unlock all of the backgrounds. It was extremely fun to play and has great style but unfortunately little replay value to speak of. I don't have a specific number of hours to report but if you only play for a few minutes at a time, I could easily see it taking a few weeks to complete.

6. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I just died a second time... I was fully loaded on loots and was just grinding gold to open the $128k door... 128k... serious?!?!

All bosses are hovering around 750+ hp and I was only at 128. Got stuck in a stun and couldn't exit the battle to save my skin...

I want to play again, ToF was part of my daily routine for since it came out, but man am I discouraged. The grind for gold is not fun, and the recent update does not yield as much gold as you would hope for as it is supposed to increase gold drop denominations as you level. Paying 320+ to get into a match that only yields 120 gold makes the grind an extremely uphill battle, even if you're placing a bet on the treasure spin at the end of a battle.

Additionally, drinking beer should also increase per level as you gain more HP.

Might wait for an update before I play this one again.

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^ sorry to hear that dood. For me, it's a game I play when im waiting for my girlfriend when we go shopping. One where i can walk around without too much focus on the game but still be able to play. My girlfriend is a bit of a shopaholic, so...

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Somehow missed this one. Looked at a bit of the video. Would it be a fair comparision to say it's like King Cashing (guess primarily for the combat system) but with more of a story and other things to do?

Color me intriqued.

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Not directly answering your question, but i like this more over King Cashing.

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Think I'm going to have to bite after reading the TA review and some of the app store reviews (in addition, of course, to the praise in this thread).

Funny seeing a two-star review on the app store that complains about the use of the slot-machine mechanic. Did they not read the app description?

Anyway, looks like fun and something that could be a good RPG-type fix when I just have a few minutes here and there.

11. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Both games are pretty fun to me.

Tower of Fortune is a bit more of a "roguelike" rpg to me.. You get to pick random perks on level ups, and you get items from random boss fights. The different items could yield more drops, or gives you life leech on attack, or many other effects so you can strategize which items to use. That being said..the game is still pretty much mindless fun for me in short spurts.

The main negative for me about this game is the amount of grinding needed to reach the later towers (and end of game). Combined with the permadeath..it really forces you to be careful on hard boss fights and the later you reach in the game. I'm right now grinding for the last tower floor..and its getting really old for me already... It would be nice, to me, to let you reach the end game within 2-3 hours at most. This way, I'd be more inclined to not care about death and start over and try different character builds.

King Cashing is about the loot drops and some gameplay variety to me. You can go through the "story", go for the endless boss fights, or play the survival mode. To reach the end didn't take too long for me..and since there's a leaderboard for minimum number of turns to take to beat the game..so you don't need to grind if you want to beat the game in the minimum number of turns. I like how the item drops affects the reels..but it does seem like I need to pay more attention for King Cashing, especially after getting item drops.

Both games are pretty fun though so if you like one..you may like the other as well. =) They're both different enough despite using the slots mechanics. Sorry for the wall o text..but hopefully it give more info.. =)

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    ^^ Thanks, tops2. Got it and really liking it so far. It is different enough from King Cashing to make it worth the purchase.

I like the perk system (although at first I stupidly didn't realize I was spending gold just to "refresh" the list). And love the Game Boy graphical style.

Definately a game that's nice to play in short spurts without having to remember what you were doing, etc. Also found one of the posts above is helpful if you're near death....the good ol' exit button. Might save me some frustration with the brutal permadeath mechanic.

13. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    If you die, do the areas that you've unlocked stay unlocked for your next character?

14. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Yes. You lose level and stats, gear, items, and equipment slots. You keep progress (unlocked areas), gold, and any of the camp upgrades/customizations.

15. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Well put, tops. Couldn't agree more.

16. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    So I finally picked this game up yesterday, and I have to say this is pretty darn good! Only thing that's getting on my nerves is the stuns. Either I save my cash and risk getting a boss, or I'm blowing all my gold on the stun immunity items. If only there were a way to know if I was about to fight a boss before I entered an area, then it wouldn't be so bad. I just hate wasting gold on stun immunity when fitting lesser monsters.

Does anyone know if the equipment slots carry over after you die? I'm up to five now, and I dropped some cash on IAP gold to buy the last couple of slots, so I'm generally concerned if I wasted my money or not. If equipment slots remain unlocked for all futue games, then awesome. If not, then I think I may have made a boo-boo...

17. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Of I am remember right the extra slots do NOT carry over.

I likethe high risk this game offers and feel like I'm really living on the edge when I get risky with it! :D Perma death is cool with me, it make the higher level wins that much better! :D I'm sick like that lol

18. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Yeah, I found out the hard way not an hour after I posted that, lol.

I have to agree, the risk factor is definitely keeping the game exciting. I wish I was a little more informed befor I blew all that gold on equipment slots. I would have spent it all unlocking all the ads instead. Oh well, lesson learned.

What's everyone focusing on for the level up perks? If something with +attack or +defense comes up (my favorite is th one that adds to attack, defense, and luck), I'll grab that first. If not then I'll look for fury extension, or increased crit damage. If nothing else, I'll grab +5 max life.

19. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Wind Dancer, ATK +3 and 50% chance that they attack twice! Best perk in the game IMHO

Then Stone of Alchemy, +10% gold with every win. After that is Lantern of Soul HP +10 with every win. Then last but not least because I only have four slots is Twisted Compass, 30% chance they attack themselves.

I have not won yet, just grinding the low levels for gold. Fun game, I need to play it more.... If I could just put Dungeon Village Down for my RPG-ish fix! :D

20. Kbcorwin

Kbcorwin Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    God's buddy
    Seattle, Washington
    Lvl 22, just defeated 598 hp great reaper, using armor of thorn, boots of thorn, twisted compass, and will melter. Love the game, is awesome :)