Universal Little Inferno HD - (by Tomorrow Corporation)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 30, 2013.

1. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I've actually relegated this to my top iOS game so far. Not everyone is going to get something from it, but for me it's perfectly charming, quirky, entertaining, crafted and contains a great message.

Much admiration for the developers, nice to see a group of real creatives releasing something in a sea of accounts exercises.

2. mr ed209

mr ed209 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Wired has an apt 'review' of Little Inferno today, correctly describing it as a satire that happens to play out as a 'game', where the joke is on those enjoying it the most.

I wouldn't say it's a joke, or that it's at it's players expense, but at least they saw through it.

It's not a game, folks.

3. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Reads more like a "if you don't agree with me you're a sucker" than a valid statement. You've already stated your non game stance and had it answered, because one guy at wired happens to share the same view as you only really validates those with the same opinion rather than make it fact.

I'm sure there's lots who will agree with you, I'm also positive there's lots that wouldn't. That's the way the world works.

4. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    #184 Gabrien, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    Here is the relevant definition of "game" from an impartial, credible source:

2 an activity that one engages in for amusement:
    a computer game

If you wish to argue the point further, I suggest you take it up with Oxford. Here is a contact link for your convenience:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/contact-us

5. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Then go play a game that is a game to you. Or is hanging out in threads of games that are of no interest to you your kind of game?

6. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Is there fast app switching enabled? Every time I leave the game and come back I have to go through all the title screens etc.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I always refer to games like these as toys.

8. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    AFAIK, there is fast app switching. The game only pauses when I leave it unless I have been opening too many apps.

9. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    Harumph, this doesn't happen for me

10. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #190 Leegames, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    What a sad point of view.

I did not expect much of this game, but some artsy fartsy stuff. But I brought it since the developers are behind some awesome games I love.

This sucked me (and my girl friend watching this with growing interest) in completely, the puzzles and the story is amazing. Even if the game does not belong in a well known category or genre.

Wired didn't "get it". Too bad for them. Saying it is not a game reminds me more of the countless of times I have been told my chosen form of entertainment isn't "as good as movies or books". Luckily there's probably a puzzler or a FPS/third person adventure these guys will enjoy and thus label a real game. Then everyone is happy.

To me it is almost like a point 'n' click adventure without the walking back and forth with stuff. I really liked the combos puzzles. Great, surprising and strange game indeed.

11. Happytodd

Happytodd Member

Aug 16, 2011
    South Australia
    I have to say I got this game a couple days ago, I'm very addicted to it and I love setting individual items on fire to see their effects.

There is only one downside with it which is particularly Game Centers fault. I'm an achievement hoarder and unfortunately when playing with no internet connection the achievements won't automatically unlock when you reconnect to the internet at a later time. I know some applications do automatically unlock it for you and some don't. Hopefully this would be addressed if there was an update sometime in the future! :)

12. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Hey, all I know is I always enjoy setting things on fire! Satisfies the Pyro in me! I'll check this out!

13. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    On sale for a buck!

14. Tastyfish

Tastyfish Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Just downloaded this game and played it straight for 2 hours. Figuring out the combos is very rewarding. It is a bit haunting but at the same time, the "story" is driving me to want to finish to see what the payoff will be in the end.

This is a steal at a dollar.

15. Andrew1234_

Andrew1234_ Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Do the colors surrounding items mean anything? Like I noticed some of them have different boxes around them.

16. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I was wondering the same. I was guessing/hoping that an item would turn a cretins colour when you've used it in all of the combos it can be in so I can rule it out.

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    It changes the more you buy an item. I think it also effects the restocking timer.

18. seqiro

seqiro Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Western MA
    Diseased?

I googled it and found the required items, but can anyone explain WHY those three items for the Diseased combo? Even the inferno fans site has no hints, only the answer. I could have played for a decade and not figured it out and even with the answer I don't get it!

Loved the game, though. :)

19. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    The first item (the toy) is diseased. He starts to break down all nearby items
    The second item (the jar) unleashes a diseased cloud that slowly rises when broken with the same effect.
    The third item calls acid rain which destroys all items in the fireplace.

All three destroy other items which hurts the player.

20. seqiro

seqiro Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Western MA
    Thank you! Somehow I never noticed the cloud effect on the jar despite having played through it twice. I guess I always burned it quickly with other stuff. The toy I had figured out and the book I had guessed.