February Game of the Month Poll

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Neehan, Mar 2, 2011.

?

February Game of the Month

Poll closed Mar 9, 2011.
  1. NBA Jam

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Starfront: Collision

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Sacred Odyssey: Rise of Ayden

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  4. Tiny Wings

30 vote(s)
    46.2%
  5. League of Evil

15 vote(s)
    23.1%
  6. The Blocks Cometh

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. Jelly Car 3

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  8. Shadow Era

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  9. Hot Springs Story

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  10. Other...

7 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Based on everyone's input here are the top 9 games of the month, and if you don't like them then you can vote for other.

Enjoy!

2. anualisher

anualisher Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    IT
    Starfront:collision
    Tiny wings
    League of Evil

3. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    Starfront:collision

4. Cellary

Cellary Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    I had 3 of them: tiny wings, jelly car 3 & hot springs story:)

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #5 backtothis, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
    Voted for the first three. Never been a fan of casual/pickup games.

6. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    thats gay that you can vote for more than one opinion. Its called game of the month because even though all of them are good only one deserves the best.

7. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #7 backtothis, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
    First off, I agree with Epox. Any basic course in statistics would teach that allowing more than one option to be chosen for a poll in selecting a single best choice invalidates the survey.

Maybe it's because I'm bitter, but I'll repeat myself from a recent thread. I just don't see the authenticity of these kind of polls. I mean really. How can this reflect the true opinion of the general community. You don't have to be incredibly intelligent to know that at least 4 out of every 5 people who vote on this poll hasn't played all 9 of the choices, or possibly even 5 of them. With that said, how could they possibly know what's the best game of the month? Don't you think that they're only voting for Tiny Wings since there's a good chance that it's the only game they own on the list since it's been first on the charts for over a week now? But, what are they comparing the game to? Are they comparing to Angry Birds? Are they comparing to Real Racing 2? I know surely that they're not comparing it to all the other choices on the poll. They can't because they don't own them. Where is the validity in that?

Being someone who has purchased each of the poll options, I really don't see how Tiny Birds could win first place. If NBA Jam, Hot Springs Story, Sacred Odyssey, and Starfront were all just $0.99, don't you think the poll would show something quite different. Just my two cents of the day.

8. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    the miracle of this Feb is Tiny Wings. it showed us that the platform is still eager for new and innovative games.

9. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Well, in the nomination thread that I created, I asked if we should allow multiple votes and the only people who responded wanted multiple votes.

I think its possible to like 2 games equally, so thats why I went for multiple options.

Perhaps, before next months poll, I will create a poll on whether we should allow multiple votes or not. That way no one can complain, majority rules.

10. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Do what I do, vote and don't give a shit LOL. I think you are reading a little to much into it brah. =)

Btw we should play some Starfront: Collision Tonight. I have yet to play it online offically, but I would like to.

11. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Voted NBA Jam, this game kicks ass!

12. Obihoernchen

Obihoernchen Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Germany
    I can't decide between Starfront and Tiny Wings :D

13. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I say League of Evil!

14. Bitsandpixeltester

Bitsandpixeltester Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2010
    People seriously still say this?

In my opinion RE: the poll. It is just a forum poll and it is not the end of the world if a game you enjoyed gets voted lower because of the multiple vote option. I look at the poll as just a reflection of what people enjoyed in February as there were a lot of great releases that warranted praise.

15. Lanishery

Lanishery Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Tiny wings & Hot springs story are what im playing much right now.

16. Hot Springs Story and NBA Jam.

17. Applefan

Applefan Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    student
    Recently have been playing with Tiny wings and hot spring story

18. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    and with my two cents i'll respond.
    This is toucharcade forums GOTM, not ign, ta, s2p, or any of them review sites. They may rate the games using a scale to help us the consumer make a decision and that's great. But if you want the "true opinion of the general community" this poll does the job. Yeah "4 out of every 5 people who vote on this poll hasn't played all 9 of the choices" but thats the point. This poll shows which game was downloaded, played AND liked the most by the general community. It shows which game was successful enough to go through our grueling intense personal routine checks pre-purchase AND successful enough to please the gamer in us with graphics/gameplay/plot/creativity/etc. I mean I think this poll is spot on, what's #1 in app store right now, TinyBirds; what's the leading game in this poll, TinyBirds.
    This poll does a great job showing you which game was the best to the consumer, now it's not the most accurate representation of the general public because this poll was done in an IPOD GAMING FORUM.

and with that I am done.

19. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #19 backtothis, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    What you said would be completely true if you removed the price factor that I mentioned, ceteris paribus. My entire argument is based on the grounds that the poll reflects what it does for similar reasons to why iTunes reflects Tiny Wing's popularity. It's the price. If say, Real Racing 2 or Modern Combat 2 was lowered to $0.99 for a day, I have no doubt in my mind after observing the activity of the top charts for the past two years that either game would shoot at an incredibly fast pace to first. With this statement, I believe that people aren't in fact looking for games like Tiny Wings and the usual $0.99 games that flood the top 25, but higher end games like Dead Space and those made by Gameloft. It's just the price barrier that invalidates this, not allowing this sentiment to be reflected.

It all comes down to this: If every user on TA had each of the poll choices made available free of charge to them, the poll would reflect something very different. I'm trying to point out that Tiny Wings is only winning because most of the voters here don't have the resources to purchase all of the other games. It's not because Tiny Wings is the only game that interests them. And like you said, exactly, this is an iOS gaming forum.

20. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    #20 dumbname, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

Ya I get that. That's very true, they'd be more willing to buy the cheaper games but I feel that's just another thing that adds to the public opinion of the best game of the month. This poll shows which game had the best screenshots, reviews, price, graphics, fluidity, polish, plot, gameplay in the consumer's eyes. It shows the appealing and fun game of the month. Like Real Racing 2 doesn't appeal to everyone, racing doesnt fly with a lot of gamers and the price doesnt help convince them, ya the game's great but clearly not the game of the month/year/decade/century because it failed to reach out to everybody. Angry Birds, we all know that not everybody likes Angry Birds or that genre, but because its only a buck more people own the game, who knows maybe a hater turned into a lover of the game. Angry Birds was more successful, and in [the average app store shoppers] eyes the better game.

I'm not really good at explaining my thoughts or what goes on in my brain because its hard for me to organize them they all shoot around all at once haha. i'm just tired.