Death Road to Canada - From Rocketcat Games/Madgarden

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kepa, Jan 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009

Death Road to Canada is a randomly generated road trip where you have to get a care of jerks to Canada, the last nation on Earth. The game is a mixture of exploring different areas while evading swarms of zombies, and making decisions in text-based road events. You can find randomly made survivors to help you, or even make your own characters that can show up in the game.

We use the old style of slow, shambling zombie. Up to 500 can be active at once! If you're not careful, it's easy to get trapped by huge walls of death. I wanted to make a game where the zombies were an actual threat that you mostly wanted to run from.

I'll be active in the thread until the game is out. It's coming to PC first, in the first third of this year. And then it'll get an iOS port. It's a really big game, at least as big as Wayward Souls.

I'll post new info regularly! Here's some screenshots to start, there's more on the website at http://www.deathroadtocanada.com

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Yes please

3. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    Me too...

4. fliindnyce

fliindnyce Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Iiiiii nnnneeeeedddddd iiiiittttttttt lol

5. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Holy crap. Will this be released in USA?
    if you need testers I'm in for sure

6. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    We usually do worldwide releases. It's not for Canada only, though it should be (for Canada ONLY).

I need to talk to Paul about the testing plan but it's likely. We'll put out a call if we need testers. Probably two months from now as a rough guess.

7. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Co op would be pretty cool. I'm assuming it's only during the scavenging parts and it would be random ?

8. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Waiting past the PC port is going to be brutal but this game looks damn amazing. I love those text decision options in my video game. I probably shouldn't have watched the trailer though because now it feels like I'm going to be waiting forever :(

9. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    this is going to be amazing. i watch the trailer and THIS game is what ive been waiting for. totally going to spend my time to play the hell out of this. yep, agreed with LLawliet the wait past the PC release is really hard :p

10. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Totally gonna buy this on PC when it comes out. If it's coming to steam, will it support Linux?

11. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Everything Rocketcat touches turns to gold and couldn't be more excited for this one. Their games just never grow old or tiring. WS has never left my device and since the recent update, I jumped back in as if it was a new game....even though I have all classes up to the Catacombs, but have never made it past the 4th floor.

Looking forward to doing me some killing on my way to Canada.

12. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    Yes! Linux, Mac, Windows, iOS, eventually Android and then possibly consoles.

13. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Yessssss!! HYPPEEEEE

14. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'm not sure if the iOS version would get co-op though. Might be a PC only thing. Will have to check if this is feasible for us.

For PC and consoles, it would be local co-op during the scavenging parts. The current idea is that player two could hit start on their controller and then take control over one of your followers. Kind of like how Secret of Mana did it way back.

Thanks! Death Road is mostly easier than Wayward Souls. Or at least, there's more capacity for luck to help you out. Like, you could find a medieval sword in a locked safe. Or find a lot of food in a grocery store and trade it for a flamethrower. In Wayward, there's not really any "super lucky" thing that could happen on a trip, it's more of a pure test of skill versus skill+luck.

It won't be too long after the PC version, I think. Hopefully around a month or so? Not sure yet though.

15. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    I need an official date for the steam release :(

16. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    None yet, thinking somewhere in March/April though.

17. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Looks amazing!

18. CHEESEYZOMBIE

CHEESEYZOMBIE Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Hey Kepa, do you think iOS will be able to handle things like the same amount of zombies onscreen that the pc version can handle? Or will you have to downgrade some things for the iOS version?

19. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Should be fine. Phones are pretty strong now. Worst case is that we'd have to downgrade it, but I'm not even sure if it's possible to tell the difference between 300 and 500 zombies onscreen at once. Either way, it's packed.

20. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Any updates ?