Universal Pinball Arcade - (by FarSight)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. gsxrboy

gsxrboy Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    All good to go now pinballers, go buy buy buy!

2. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    Yeah, update finally arrived!
    Bought all 4 new tables :D
    This is the best ios game by far for me!

Just 1 quick question:
    Can anybody tell me what the orange button is for on the harley davidson table?
    Never played that table in real life so i don't know.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Glad theres two new table packs, bought them both.

However i've had to then download all the other tables again which is a bit of a pain. Seems alright now on my iphone.

After i updated my ipod though i had the dreaded 'white icon', so deleted and i'm re-installing at the mo

4. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    No problems with the download of all for new tables. Still a problem for me is, that the tables are far to easy.I played harley,elvira and goofers about 25 minutes on my first go, whats that? Pinball for babys? Only taxi is harder and more fun.

5. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    And the the next tables for the october??? Pack 7 will be Scared stiff and
    Big shot. Still no eightball deluxe or paragon.

6. reec0X

reec0X Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Computer Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    It goes ONLINE now...content server is UP! :)

7. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    update works fine now... but re-downloading every single table after every update is really getting annoying (especially when you own all table-packs)

i also have to agree with rudi... most tables are way too easy (i can confirm that ie. with TOM and monster bash, which i play on a regular basis in real)

would be better to bring up table difficulty (table angle, flipper settings/positions) and give us the option for 3 or 5 balls per table

that said and before i'm getting to grumpy: overall great work farsight... content is getting really epic ;)

8. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    You keep complaining about this over and over and over and over and over yet you keep getting the new tables. We get it guy, it's too easy for you. Maybe you need to move on? Perhaps you should create your own pinball game with your own physics to complement your ridiculously godlike skills.

From my experience with pinball and this game, it's a very balanced simulation. I can go far far longer in Zen's tables than this one. In fact, I haven't played a single pinball game on iOS that has been "harder" than PA.

9. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    I keep getting all the tables, because I hope for tables like Taxi or Medieval
    Madness,Black Knight, which are not so easy.If Farsight do a simulation of real pinball tables, then why do they make the difficulty easier than in real life? One guy from farsight told in a radio interview, that they are doing them easier.
    Guys like me, who are grown up with real pinball tables, want the real feeling.
    10-15 minutes for a game is ok. But if I'm playing 25 minutes in my first game,than play 45 minutes on my fith game, than let the balls
    s drop, because it's getting so boring. Look at the highscores. Some people must
    Have played far more than 60 minutes in one game.Thats not a pinball simulation anymore. Maybe of the graphics and the sound, but not of the real gameplay.

10. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I understand your point completely, but realize that the difficulty is the same for everyone. so if you are concerned about getting high scores because you are really good - you will still be really good compared to everyone else. your score might be higher than it is on a real table, but comparatively to everyone else, your place would be the same.

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I also appreciate how, as a pinball enthusiast, it isn't that he wants to brag about his skills, he just wants a realistic as possible sim. That being said, I'm willing to bet, as marketeers always aim at the lowest common denominator, he isn't REALLY the key demographic this game is geared toward. Perhaps in the future they can add, maybe make unlockable, Pro-Modes of each table with just really subtle tweaks to physics, table angles, and the like that might make the game closer to the real thing EVEN IF it means the average player will drain in 5 seconds.

12. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I can't speak for Rudi, but for me the concern is not about the (ultra) high scores, but rather the product is not what it is pitched as.

These guys endlessly drone on about how fanatical they are about replicating the real thing right in your home, but never with the caveat that the replication extends primarily to the table facade and features ... not truly a genuine simulation of the physical product (which they nonetheless purport to be).

Quotes from their KickStarters, emphasis mine :

It's always a disappointment to buy one of these tables and flip half to 4/5ths the table goals in the first game.

Despite all their ballyhoo over ROM-emulation and awesome lighting engines I still contend the older Hall of Fame collection plays (and looks) better than these new tables.

Still my biggest disappointment of the year.
    :(

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Could some of this be the limits of the lower end iOS systems they're trying to have this run optimally on? Like how do these same tables run on XBOX 360 or PS3?

14. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    That is a fantastic idea. If you beat all the wizard goals, you unlock super-ultra-realistic-simulation mode. I like it.

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Nice and out of the way plus the changes are likely to be pretty subtle without need for all new art assets or anything. They'd just be some subtle behind the curtain tweaks.

16. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    I think it's an exaggeration to call these tables unrealistic or a poor simulation just because they're easier. There are plenty of ways to adjust a real table to make it easier.

That being said, an unlockable pro mode is a good idea. Something for them to work on if they ever run out of other improvements to make (better graphics, physics, UI, etc.). But they should focus on improving the game for everybody first, and cater to the hardcore enthusiasts later.

17. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    On a real table, a beginner played about 2 minutes with 3 balls. After practicing a while about 5-10 minutes. An experienced player 15 minutes or more. But never almost 60minutes like in pinball arcade.Thats not, how real pinball is.
    Just make the flipper fingers a little bit shorter and it works. I've done that in visual pinball, when a table was to easy. Why dont they just let us choose at the start between normal and hard. Like in most other games.

18. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    No personal experience, so I cannot honestly say.

Comments from others have lead me to believe they are about the same as far as the (relatively) dumbed down difficulty.

Don't have a 360, but I was cautiously optimistic that the PS3 version would improve on the iOS version on some levels; but reports of lag issues (in HD res over 720) and the standard laundry list of bugs that seem to come with every update by these guys on every platform have led me to take a wait and see approach if and how any of this stuff ever gets taken care of.

19. nafkert

nafkert Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    For those complaining about re-downloading the tables, the reason that you have to re-download them is because they have been updated to take care of bug fixes and other things. You are actually getting updated tables.

For example, in black hole The gate in the lower playfield now stays open properly. There are also other multiball and sound fixes.

20. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    I'm not Number 1 on the worldwide leaderboard on any of the tables, so it's not "too easy" for me!

So i guess you are number 1 on every table rudi :rolleyes: