So... Best iOS platformer?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Apr 10, 2011.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Felt like this question needs a new consensus now that quite a few newcomers have come out this year. I haven't included runner or jump games, just platformers in the purest and most complete sense of the genre.

Here are some great examples. Feel free to add any good ones I missed.

Soosiz

League of Evil

Robot Wants Kitty

Mos Speedrun

Hoggy

Karoshi

Max and the Magic Marker

Pizza Boy

Rolando

Rolando 2

Edge

Hook Champ

Super QuickHook

Hook Worlds

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Great list you got there. :) Favs would have to be: LoE, RwK, Rolando 2, Karoshi, and Mos. Didn't really like Soosiz.

3. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    FROGATTO! Best one out there.

4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    When it came out in late 2009 Soosiz was amazing - a fully featured game with a unique mechanic, and I still have love for it. It was one of the first to reject the full movement joystick and simply relegate it to left/ right buttons, so at the time it was the best controlling platformer.

Since then though games like LoE and RWK have surpassed it in this regard: they are highly responsive and you always feel you have full control over your characters without the game resorting to overly floaty physics. Plus you don't have to worry about a little feeling dizzy in those games. Then again with all the topsy turvy world jumping in Soosiz maybe a slower pace is needed. :)

I love to see a Soosiz sequel or another Touchfoo platformer to see what improvements are done in this new era of iOS platformers. Touchfoo is currently working on a game but nobody knows what it is.

5. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    Nice list but you missed a few good ones like
    Giana Sisters
    Chop Chop Ninja
    Chop Chop Caveman
    Bounce On 1
    Bounce On 2
    Sonic 4

6. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Great list, but yes, Chop Chop has to be in there. Love that they think ahead of old school d-pad controls. Like Mos. Chop Chop Ninja and Caveman are two of the most entertaining platformers in the store. Right now, my fav seems to be Mos.

Pix'n'Love Rush is also fantastic, but rather a quick high score game.

7. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    LoE, RWK and SQH

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Mos is my favourite at the moment too, Hoggy has always been really fun, as have the Hook games, Edge and Max & the Magic Marker.

I could never get into Soosiz, Rolando got frustrating going against the time limits and LoE is good but slightly overrated if you ask me. The others are decent :)

9. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Everyone has their preferences, but I personally can't stand the Chop Chop games. And I really hate that they keep heralding their lame no button control scheme as if it were a success on the level of Infinity Blade, Dead Space and Tiny Wings. Their system is awkward as hell. Look I'm an advocate of strong gaming philosophy but am also extremely practical and results oriented. Half the games touted as "using the strengths of the platform" turn out to be bullet point gimmicks from the developer. Chop Chop Caveman and the other games are prime suspects in this regard: polished but don't control well at all, and the last game you want to feel awkward playing is a platformer. And their virtual control scheme was half heartfelt thrown in with odd physics involved, so you can't even resort to that.

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. Should have included them for the benefit of the forum.

10. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    When i first got Chop Chop Caveman i didnt like the controlls at all but i personaly found them to be a lot better with the new virtual controlls

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I don't think the no-button scheme is a success for Tiny Wings, I just think it happens to come with the territory of stupidly simple 1-button gameplay. Anything that comes out and is basic enough to only need one button automatically wins this award. Like a Fart Button app.

12. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Yes, the controls of the chop chop games are what spoil them.

13. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I also think Sonic 4 deserves a mention, unless this list is geared towards iOS-specific platformers.

14. frogtorch

frogtorch Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I really liked Gomi. It had tons of levels with nice level designs, bosses, fun mini games. Overall, just lots of gameplay. It moves a bit on the slow side but is very deliberate and the tilt controls are spot on.

15. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    #15 SuperWeird, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
    Yes, this is a good list and topic. Here's my favorite platformers:

- Soosiz
    - Super World Adventures
    - Get Out of My Galaxy
    - Rolando 1-2
    - Max & the Magic Marker
    - Berserk Blobs
    - Big Boss
    - Babylonian Twins
    - Bounce On 2
    - Jelly Car 3
    - Karoshi
    - Edge
    - Hook World
    - Chop Chop Kicker
    - Gravity Guy
    - iStunt 2

And I don't know if you would consider Pac'n-Jump a platformer, but if it is then I'd add that one to my list as well.

Edit: I'm trying out Gomi now, thanks to frogtorch's suggestion above. Seems a little slow, but I love how you pick up objects as you roll around and become a giant snowball-effect of a character. So far so fun. Also trying Jack111's suggestion of Giana Sisters, liking it so far.

16. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Chop chop kicker is not a platformer. Perhaps you mean Chop chop caveman? That game was ok since they added the directional controls. Accelerometer controls were terrible.

Karoshi is an instant classic, even though it's based on some flash game so not exactly original.

Hooga is ok as well, similar to CC Caveman.

I haven't really found any platformer for iDevice that is really addicting however. I played Captain Claw for PC and that was the best action platformer I've ever played, and I'm surprised why no one tried to create a Captain Claw clone yet. It would be perfect for iDevice.

17. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    My favorites on iPad are:

Soosiz HD

Gianna Sisiters HD

Max and The Magic Marker

My faves I've played that aren't for iPad: (pixel doubled, wish they were HD)

Rolando 2

Castle of Magic

Super World Adventures

Pizza Boy

Frogatto

Haven't played, waiting on HD:

Kami Retro

Get Outta My Galaxy

18. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    No, I definitely meant Chop Chop Kicker. If that's not considered a platformer, then sorry about including it on the list, but either way it's awesome, the best Chop Chop game so far IMO.

BTW, has anyone tried DoodleBug? Wandering if that's any good. Also considering Pocket God: Journey to Uranus.

19. Curleh Mustache

Curleh Mustache Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    I can't believe no one mentioned Balloon Headed Boy.

20. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Would like to add my vote for
    Frogatto
    Babylonian Twins

^agree about Balloon Headed Boy. Too bad it was removed