iPad mini vs. Google nexus 7 discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Infernado, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Infernado

Infernado Active Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Hi Guys, I wanted to hear people's opinions about this tablet war.

Talk about:
    iPad mini
    nexus 7
    Which is better
    etc.

Respect each others opinion, if you disagree, you don't have to be a jerk about it.

Right now I am re-considering buying an iPad mini thanks to its slightly underwhelming specs.

But the nexus 7 has a decent processor, and I could get the moga controller, which is a huge plus.

What do you guys think I should do?

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Depends how much you like IOS really I myself actually prefer Android lately and I'm intending to buy myself a Nexus 7 32gb although I may change my mind before that.

I think it's very hard to justify the mini's price in comparison it's lacking GPS has less pixels only has a dual core processor and only half the ram of the Nexus. The one advantage the mini has is a rear camera but are you really going to use a tablet as a camera.

Basicly in UK prices £350 for a 32gb mini Vs £200 for a 32gb Nexus.

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    iPad Mini, because of apps :p

4. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    I prefer the iPad Mini, mainly because the screen's aspect ratio. 4:3 over 16:10 any day.

5. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Yes definitely an iPad advantage I left out although the situations a lot more equal than it used to be and Android itself has apps the iPad doesn't like Onlive and emulators.

I will say it's a lot easier to get gift cards for iTunes though. Google Play cards still aren't available in the UK although having other stores available like amazon mitigates that a bit.

I will say the iPad is likely the better games machine if that's what you want it for, I'd rather have the real filesystem on Android though.

I can't see any advantage there to be honest if anything it's worse for Video.

6. Ipad mini by far, better apps and games, better screen size and ratio, and better web browsing.

7. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    For videos, yes, 16:10 is better. For everything else, I've always preferred 4:3 (or on desktop monitors, even 5:4), because wide-screen just seems impractical to me, especially for browsing and games. I guess it's just personal preference, since the Nexus 7 is a good device.

EDIT: Also, another downside of the Nexus 7 (for me) is the lack of physical buttons, but I guess some people are OK with that too.

8. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    iPad Mini because I sold my Nexus 7 after being bored with it. I wouldn't return to Android even if you paid me. After having had experience with Android since 2008, I'm very glad to be back to an OS I enjoy greatly.

I'm going to exchange my iPod touch 5G 32GB for the iPad Mini 32GB (and possibly LTE version) since it has the same specs except for the screen. I need more screen real estate. Months from now, I will upgrade to the IPad 4 but for now, the iPad mini is very affordable for me.

9. xKosmox

xKosmox New Member

Oct 31, 2012
    On a personal basis, I'd prefer the Nexus due to the video playback capabilities. How light the iPad Mini seems to be, just seems a little tempting though. Just created an entry though about the iPad Mini release, do have a look if you're interested!

I've basically covered the features, as well as a few product review article summaries, where/when it'll be released, a feature comparison between the various tablets, some jokes and downloadable media sites. Let me know what can be improved on :)

Entry: http://fiett.com/blog/wordpress/apple-product-release-news-for-ipad-mini-every-inch-an-ipad/

10. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I think the more interesting battle is going to be between the iPad 4 and Nexus 10, on paper the Nexus 10 completely destroys the iPad and I have to admit I'm very curious of the new Arm A15 cores they are meant to be five times as good as the A9 when used properly.

I think it's probably just as well Apple brought the fourth out now or the gulf would be gigantic it makes me wonder if they got tipped off about it.

If Google would accept Micro SD as a standard they would clean up in my opinion it's only the low storage sizes put me off them in any way.

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #11 crunc, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
    I might pick up an iPad mini at some point for the family. Or maybe I'd switch to it for my iPad (from iPad 2). I would really like to see how well that size screen works for my board/card games and such, though. I'd hate to be squinting.

The performance of my iPad 2 is excellent, so I'm not too concerned by it sharing iPad 2 tech specs, especially with even better battery life and LTE (I'd get LTE if it were for me).

12. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    If we don't focus purely on specifications, the Surface should be considered a part of this "battle" too. Should be interesting, I'm rooting for the iPad/Surface, but then again, I dislike Android. :x