InstaPlace (not a game but still great in its own right!) IS NOW FREE!

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by DelBoy2181, Dec 2, 2012.

1. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

This a QUALITY app that I highly recommend to photo enthusiasts. It uses the FourSquare location service and is very good at finding places of interest. Support the developers by "Liking" the InstaPlace Facebook page as they're working on more updates/content ;)

2. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Can you use it WITHOUT Instagram? I love good photo apps, but I've never and will never use Instagram.

3. DelBoy2181

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    As far as I know you can use it without Instagram. I've either saved photos that I've applied a skin to the camera roll or imported photos from the camera roll to be skinned without going anywhere near Instagram.

4. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Thanks. There's no better way to ruin a photo and prove you know jack squat how REAL lens filters and vintage film and stock look.

And don't even get me started on "HDR"...which should be called oversaturation and way off whote balance.

Pfft. :)

5. DelBoy2181

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    So what do you guys/girls think of InstaPlace? Pretty cool, eh? :cool:

6. DelBoy2181

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    No feedback despite over 300 views? Must be due to all those top games going free recently.

7. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    The reviews on the app make it seem like if you aren't in a big city or something that it's pretty much useless since you can't add custom locations and stuff.

8. DelBoy2181

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    ?? It uses the FourSquare location service which is pretty good at locating places, even in smaller towns and far away countries. I haven't had any problems locating nearby bars, restaurants, police stations, supermarkets, etc. Hell, it even found my bus stop! All you need to do is tap on the "My Place" tab and use the search bar. I do agree with you about custom locations and hope that the developers add that in a future update.

9. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    #9 Greyskull, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    It's called "I have a trillion untested apps, photo apps included".

I still have yet to really use Diptic, Snapseed, Pixlromatic+, instant110, Squara, infinicam, Filmic Pro, Photopower, etc. and those apps I have installed!

I nearly aways have at 3 cameras in my car: my Sony Nex-7, a Nikkon point-and-shoot; and my Sony Alpha 900 (my old work camera). If I'm working or going on a photo expedition, I'll have my new pro cam, a Sony a99, which I just bought.

Edit: so I usually take pics with a Camera camera, not my phone. I'm stuck w/16gbs of storage on my phone; I have double that on one Sd Ultra III memory card.

Yes, I have a very large trunk. I drive a Volvo S60.

10. DelBoy2181

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    Why would you need THREE cameras in your car??

11. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Never ask a photographer or a guitar player why they need so many... and yes, I speak from experience on both.:p;):D

DBC

12. Why, if you are a paparazzi of course...

13. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    They serve different purposes. The NEX takes amazing photos for it's size, but isn't as quick to shoot as my compact Nikkon. My Alpha takes better photos than either, and I have over 50 lenses for it, so it is the most versatile by far...but it takes awhile to set up. And I often don't know when a client will call to set up a shoot, so I need to keep a work ready camera available.

50 lenses might sound ridiculous, but 35+ of them are Minolta glass, which is why I shoot with Sony. Alphas have image stabilization built into the camera body (specifically, the image sensor itself moves to compensate for shaking), so "VR" type lenses aren't nearly as important. And even the newest Sony cameras take all A-mount (Minolta, plus I have old Quantaray and other 3rd part glass) lenses.

14. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I always have one camera with me... it's built into my phone :p . I actually take most of my pictures with it these days.

But on a serious note, this App may be good or whatever but I'm a fairly private person and don't dip into the social media side of life. I don't really need to label my pictures to say when they were or what they were of outside of the file name when I copy them to my PC and I'm not posting them online. Typically my subject is my wife and kids... or some cool sunset or scenic event that has nothing really to do with where I am at the time. But I can see how someone that's more into social stuff and so on might be into stuff like this, it's just not for me. For me, I see stuff like this and social media as a way to tell both honest people and potential crooks that hey I'm not at home, I'm at this location and given it's distance to my house no on will be home for some amount of time.

15. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Us both ;). Although I think Bass guitarists are a little bit less fetishy over guitars than 6-stringers. Well, I mean, I'de love to have had John Entwistle's collection (most were sold to clear up debts after his death), but he'd been playing electric bass since it's infancy. And the modern bass guitar is not nearly as old as the modern electric guitar...and the best sounding ones generally speaking are pretty recent. So I guess it's kinda the opposite of the standard electric guitar.

16. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    You'de need a big truck just for ginormous telephoto lenses. Professionally I do real estate photography; I mostly use fixed aperature lenses.

Rewlly though...the Nex and point and shoot both fit in my glove compartment. So it's really not a big deal to carry 3. The Nikkon is barely longer than my iphone; same with the Nex.

17. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Or at least a Toyota... served me well carrying, among other things, a 400/2.8 around Alaska for almost 11 years...;):D

DBC

18. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Yeah, for me it's more the "sound" thing rather than fetishism, at least that's what I tell myself...;)

Strat does certain things well, Les Paul others, Ibanez still others... don't even get me started on bass guitars...:rolleyes::p;):D

DBC

19. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Exactly...while my dream bass is a graphite Status Buzzard JE, which is less than 15 years old.

Though I wouldn't mind an old Rickenbaket or Alembic as well. Eh, with bass guitars the pickups are more important that the wood (or whatever material it's made of). If you don't have a bass plugged in, it's barely audible...and low frequency sounds, pre-processed, have a lot less character than the higher ones. I know you know what I mean ;)