Driving me Mad!!! Help please

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Kriio, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Kriio

Kriio Active Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Budget and Finance Analyst
    NYC
    Hey everyone,

I have a problem with my iphone. When i run my app on the simulator it works flawlessly. When i run the app on my device (iphone 3) it uses some olderfiles, that should be deleted. Is there a way to clean the cache or smth, so the app can work the same on the device as well as the simulator

Things ive tried:
    1) Delete the app form the device and re-install
    2) Clean all targets in Xcode
    3) Synched iphone to my itunes then re-install

Nothing works. The app is still picking up some olg png files that it shouldnt, and it is not picking up the files i need. Thank you for reading

2. Appacity

Appacity Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Clean all targets doesn't always do it (I find).

Try deleting the entire 'build' folder from your project dir (or rename it if you have some sym links you need for debugging). Then re-build the app and deploy... (Also delete it from the device before deploying).

3. Kriio

Kriio Active Member

Aug 20, 2010
    NYC
    Thank you, i will try when i get home

4. Kniveswood

Kniveswood Member

Aug 12, 2010
    How about cleaning all targets + deleting the app before reinstalling? That always works for me.

5. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    Deleting the build folder should fix this. XCode sometimes 'forgets' to update your resource files. Removing the build folder will force it to copy the latest version from your project directory.

6. Kriio

Kriio Active Member

Aug 20, 2010
    NYC
    Thank you but nothing still

I cleaned the targets, deleted the app then reinstalled it...and i still get the old files being compiled. I deleted the build folder and xcode created a new one but that didnt fix anything. Is the problem with the Iphone or Xcode. If its the iphone, i can reset the device...drastic but should work. If its Xcode, i have no new ideas.

7. Appacity

Appacity Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Delete the build file, then re-build. Go to your .app file in the file listing under Targets, then right click 'Reveal in Finder'.

Right click the .app file, go View Contents... Check if the files that your seeing exist inside. If they do, then it's part of your build and I would check perhaps it's in your folder structure. If those files don't exist in the .app file then it's your phone that's holding onto the files.

8. Kriio

Kriio Active Member

Aug 20, 2010
    NYC
    Thank you guys

problem solved

9. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Could you tell us on what solved it?

10. Kriio

Kriio Active Member

Aug 20, 2010
    NYC
    What Solved it

The main piece of the puzzle was deleting the build folder. Once you tell Xcode to compile it on the device, it will create a new build folder and the problem should be fixed (the correct files will be picked up). I had a tougher than usual time with this because smth was wrong with the .png file i wanted. So to sum it up, delete the build folder and let xcode create a new one.

11. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Thanks for letting us know :)