Project Management Software

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by OldAggie96, Mar 18, 2010.

1. OldAggie96

OldAggie96 Member

Jul 23, 2009
    #1 OldAggie96, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
    I am curious what project management software other devs here are using/have used. How would you rate is effectiveness, cost, and scalability?

2. Basecamp works well for us, as a way to set and keep track of milestones and to-do lists, and see what everyone is working on. I think it's about $30/month. The company is also pretty good about implementing feature requests.

3. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

We use our own unique blend of agile project management techniques and currently use our own web-based software that just sits on out intranet and takes care of pretty much everything.

Just recently we were told about Pivotal Tracker which looks pretty good, anybody have any experience with it?

4. OldAggie96

OldAggie96 Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Thanks for mentioning this. I will have to toy around with with this a bit more but I just watched the video and it looks pretty good.

5. rotor

rotor Active Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Game Procuer
    The Netherlands
    Sorry to dig up this old topic ;)

I was looking into project management software myself today, I had a look at the open source Endaevour package, which seemed quite nice. I was a bit disappointed with its time graph.

Can any one recommend a good solution? What are your experiences on running a package on an in-house version as opposed to a paid service?

6. Kyena

Kyena Active Member

We are using OnTime which is part of the scrum project management setup.

Very handy :)

7. dreamjoe

dreamjoe New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    +1 for Basecamp. Although I use it for more traditional project management as in art production or marketing campaigns. I haven't found it as helpful in managing an Agile development process so I'm going to check out OnTime.

8. zilog79

zilog79 Member

Sep 13, 2011
    JIRA : if you want sophisticated software for ALL your needs.
    Pivotal Tracker : clean, easy to use. not so many features, but it also does not block your workflow with details.
    Redmine : one of the best open source - free to use software management solution. not hosted.

9. executionunit

executionunit Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Indie Game Develoepr
    London, UK
    This sounds pretty lame to some but I've been making games for 15 years so hear me out.

I just use mantis bug tracker. Every task is a bug (tagged as a feature) and every bug is a bug.

For the current milestone (next week or two). I mark all bugs/features that need doing as Immediate. Any features/bugs I'd like to do are marked as Urgent and they get done if there is time.

How scalable is this? Well it doesn't really go beyond a few users but I've used it in a team of 4 experienced developers/artists and it's fine.

We host it on our own domain so it's cheap and effective.

YMMV

10. zilog79

zilog79 Member

Sep 13, 2011
    yeah it works if you put some effort into developing your "rule sets".. the problem with many bug tracking only solutions (like mantis) is that you can not _easily_ set a finish date or story point thing to what you track.

But it all comes down to the point: you should USE some sort of tracking, and get the habit of using it _regularly_.. a todo list with pen and paper should be a good start to track :)

11. Aruki

Aruki Active Member

May 10, 2011
    Game Designer
    Madrid
    +1 to Basecamp :cool:

12. layzerboy

layzerboy Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    +1 for merlin by project wizards

13. jogo

jogo Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Redmine + Git
    Redmine for having a good Bug/Feature/Version with a simple interface.
    Git to share code.

14. Dar-Soft

Dar-Soft Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    #14 Dar-Soft, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
    Agile Project Manager for iPad

Nowadays it's very convenient to use iPad for tons of different needs at work. Of course only if you have proper applications for your special needs. For software development there is 'Agile Project Manager' (Scrum Sprint Planner). It's like a mini corkboard with realistic tickets and even with the burn down chart which allows you to track the sprint progress in hours of done and undone tasks and which you can always carry with you.
    It uses all the advantages of Agile methodology known as Scrum - flexibility and adaptiveness to changing project requirements.

[​IMG]

If you want to try the application for free or for any other additional questions please contact [email protected]

Agile Project Manager on touchArcade forum

15. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Everyone has their preference, and I've been in software development for about the same time as you. And I've gotta say, using simple tasks to manage projects is kinda like using Notepad to write code day in day out...

Sure, it works. Especially if you have some serious experience under your belt. But using a proper project management tool streamlines the whole process, gives you greater flexibility and overall helps you become more productive.

Kudos to you for working with a very simple system, I don't think I would cope now that I am part of the Agile converted :)

Give me an Agile story wall, iterations, releases and a tool that does it all for me :) If you don't want to pay for this, then get out a whiteboard, add some swim lanes, get a bunch of stickie notes for your cards and follow the Agile/Scrum process.

Either way, a good tool or just a good process will save you time...

For tools I've used:
    Code Spaces (basic and cheap)
    Rally (Not cheap, but has the lot)

I've not used Jira or OnTime but have heard good things...

16. garryburks

garryburks New Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Project Management Software

There are hundreds of project management softwares in the market. A developer friend of mine uses Microsoft Project Standard (the 2010 version) as it fits most of his project management tasks. The software is capable of performing all types of projects, including that of a project collaboration software. Microsoft's project management website can help you with more details.

17. Eye Cog

Eye Cog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Game Programmer
    Warsaw, Poland
    I've been using unfuddle (http://unfuddle.com/) for a while now and I'm very happy with it. Ideal for small teams, has a ticket system, hosts svn and git - it's even free for up to 2 people teams, otherwise it's cheap. And comes with free iphone app :)

18. coby_pxs

coby_pxs Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Technical Director
    Missouri, USA
    We use Unfuddle as well -- it's not a super strong project management system, but it has the basic functionality we need. I originally started using it several years ago as a hosted svn service, but now we use all of the little things it does. Our team/project sizes now require us to use their $24/month package, but I think it is a pretty good bargain.

19. meghamalik116

meghamalik116 New Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Replicon Time tracking software

I’ve been using Replicon Time tracking software since 3 years and very happy with it. With user-friendly interface it is much easier to handle. The price being $9 per user each month is pretty much affordable. They have apps which can be used on mobile and iPad. Apart from that, the customer support is also very helpful.

20. jonathanleek

jonathanleek Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Game Designer
    St. Louis, MO
    We've recently started using Trello, which is basically a web version of index cards on a whiteboard. So far, we're really liking it; it's pretty flexible, and since it's online, it's really easy for our telecommuters (myself included) to use.