We are giving £1000 to number 1 on our Santa Drop leaderboard

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by appdevs, Dec 21, 2013.

1. appdevs

appdevs Active Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Hi All,

We have just launched a little Xmas iOS game and thought I would post it as some great gamers on here.

Its a 'Festive Faller' game where you are Santa falling down a chimney collecting presents and avoiding TNT ( why not ? )

You can see more detail on the game at our site
    http://www.the-app-developers.co.uk/portfolio/santa-drop/

On Xmas Eve we are giving the Top 5 on the leaderboard:

No 1: £1000
    No 2: £100
    No 3: £100
    No 4: £100
    No 5: £100

And then again on News Years Eve we are giving away:

No 1: £500
    No 2: £100
    No 3: £100
    No 4: £100
    No 5: £100

More details and T&Cs for the competition can be seen at www.santadropforcash.com

Cheers

Ben Hogan

www.the-app-developers.co.uk

2. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Is this contest only for the UK? Or is everyone welcome?

I got the game a few days ago it's going to be hard to hold that top spot with the crazy stuff that gets tossed at you in the game

3. appdevs

appdevs Active Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Its open to ALL worldwide - payment outside UK might be a couple of days depending on where you are.

You will be surprised how soon you start getting those kind of scores :)
    ( Most people play with phone upside down )

Ben

4. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    I'm in as Quincy jones

5. armoko

armoko Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    Just bought the game. I like the gameplay. It's very addictive.

But as for the contest I'm pretty sure that impossible to beat the first place. Because there is no in-app purchase in the game and I think the first five places are people from devs.
    I would like to be wrong :)

6. appdevs

appdevs Active Member

Dec 5, 2013
    The top 5 are not in our company - we are not allowing any staff to enter the top 5.

We are not those types of guys - we are cool honest geeks.

Ben

7. armoko

armoko Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    ok. sorry for that. I'll try my best to get in best 5 :)

8. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    What about people who hack the leaderboards?

9. appdevs

appdevs Active Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Early days we had a few who found a glitch in the game and some got silly highscores. We forced an update and added some extra security when posting to the web services that enable us to detect official scores ( based on time played, present collected and a few other things that we wont mention )

So all scores currently on the leaderboard are 100% legit.

It would be easier to build a small program on the Arduino and use a couple of step motors, learn the pattern of the game and increase the speed of when the step motors move the phone to play the game automatically... ( I was tempted to try this myself)

Regards

Ben

10. smoothies

smoothies Active Member

Oct 16, 2013
    #10 smoothies, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    I don't see how a few of those scores were achieved, but I also don't understand how they have scores that high already, or has this been out a long time? Is everyone on the leaderboard in the contest?

What scores are everyone on here getting for this? My best is 20,372 and I don't see how I could double that let alone come anywhere near 300,000+. Frankly I believe the top scores were not legit, I'm not sure if it would be possible for someone to cause the game to slow down drastically (i.e. more time to see and react to the screen), but if so that's what they did. Unless after about 20,000 your score starts to go up at a ridiculously accelerated rate. I am on an iPod touch 5th gen though, so maybe it's just slightly laggy for me and getting a high score is harder, I don't know.

11. armoko

armoko Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    I agree with you smoothies . I'm #9 right now with the score about 90,000. And I can't imagine how to get more than 300,000. Theoretically it is possible but really really hard. I think that for the fair play the devs should be reset all scores before starting the contest

12. Blighty Gamer

Blighty Gamer Member

Jun 13, 2013
    I thought I may as well chip in being that I am at the no.4 spot as of typing this. When I began playing I was incredibly skeptical about the scores on the board. I was really struggling to get beyond 10,000 points... then I flipped my phone upsidedown. This makes the game a lot easier, not 300,000 easier but it'll help. Once you get beyond 140,000 the speed is seriously cranked up and the collectible cogs become a hazard as they speed you up even further. The score of 380.000 is a bit suspect though perhaps he just had a superbly lucky run he'll struggle to repeat. Anywho good luck to everyone playing, I need to get back and try and increase my score.

[​IMG]

13. Blighty Gamer

Blighty Gamer Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Gave it another go and bumped myself up a place on the leaderboard :)

[​IMG]

Sorry Duncan...

14. armoko

armoko Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. Now a bit easier to play :)

15. appdevs

appdevs Active Member

Dec 5, 2013
    WOW Jon you done well sneaking that score in !! How long you been playing today ? Can you email [email protected] so I can arrange the prize money as Xmas one stopped today at 15:00.

Next giveaway on News Year Eve and will reset score soon.

The number 1 position has been verified and is a legit score and has been paid prize money.

Upside down is MUCH easier ! I still cant break 100k

Cheers

Ben

16. Blighty Gamer

Blighty Gamer Member

Jun 13, 2013
    I played for a couple of hours today... :) Thanks for the great competition, I enjoyed taking part.

17. smoothies

smoothies Active Member

Oct 16, 2013
    What devices are you playing on?

18. Blighty Gamer

Blighty Gamer Member

Jun 13, 2013
    I was playing on an iPhone 5, the game ran smoothly throughout.

19. smoothies

smoothies Active Member

Oct 16, 2013
    That's probably my problem. I'm playing on an iPod touch 5th gen, and while the game is fun and a good idea I think, it has crashed for me several times. It's also not very smooth on this. The top score player may have even been on a 5S and the game may have even been easier still. May be why you think that isn't possible, because I can tell you right now I've been thinking scores like yours aren't possible, and it's clearly because my device makes it that way lol. You have an A6, I have an A5 and the leader could have an A7, making the game ever so slightly easier..

20. armoko

armoko Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    Just curious, is anyone here from winners received something from devs? I had 3rd place before NewYearsEve it means that I won £100 BUT they're still not contacted with me and of course I have nothing received.