Books for developing

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by yourofl10, Jan 3, 2009.

1. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    i was wondering what books should i read to become a iphone dev? i know there was a thread that someone posted a couple of books, but i cant find it.

2. henr1kk

henr1kk Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Independent Game Designer and Developer
    Porto, Portugal
    #3 henr1kk, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    Hi, I'm also a new developer and I'm reading:

"Learn C on the Mac" by Dave Mark (I think it's better to learn a popular language, like C, before starting on Obj-C);

"Programming in Objective-C 2.0" by Stephen Kolchan (most people recommended this book as a starting point for Obj-C);

"Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" by Aaron Hillegass (apparently, the bible for Cocoa programmers);

"Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK" by Dave Mark (to get accustomed with the SDK and also great to learn how to make Accelerometer based apps and how to use CoreLocation, etc);

"OpenGL Programming Guide: The Official Guide to Learning OpenGL, Version 2.1" (the bible for OpenGL, which is what you'll need to know in order to get the most out of the iPhone, graphics-wise. It doesn't teach Open GL ES, which is what the iPhone supports, but everything is pretty similar and after reading this book and the Khronos spec for ES 1.1 you'll be all set)

It's a pretty big investment in books but if you have some original and fun ideas, go ahead and I'm sure you'll make enough out of it to justify this purchase.

Hope I helped!

P.S.: Also check out NeHe and download every code sample on Apple's developer site.

3. InsolentDreams

InsolentDreams Well-Known Member

For iPhone development for regular apps and simple 2d games without too much animation there is one book that could pretty much teach you everything you need to know... seen in my other post and recommended in that thread by many people also.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=39527&postcount=15

It's mentioned above, Cocoa Programming for OS-X (make sure to get the most recent version).

It is a fantastic book. :)

4. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    thanks for all the book ideas :)

5. Drenguin

Drenguin Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I am a beginning developer and this book here is very good.

"Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK" by Dave Mark and Jeff LaMarche