a couple of general questions

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by junkster08, Oct 22, 2008.

1. junkster08

junkster08 Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    1)Whats the best program recommended for making games?
    2) If i create a game and put it in the appstore for a set price do I actually get the cash or apple does?

note: i have a written down project and ready to complete a game far better than reign of swords... i just need these 2 questions answered b4 i proceed.

2. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    You choose the price. Not sure on #1

3. Rockey04

Rockey04 Well-Known Member

#3 Rockey04, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
    Answer

1: You can only make iPod Touch and iPhone games with Apple's SDK. Downloading the SDK is free. Putting stuff on the App Store requires you to be in the developers program, which costs a one-time fee of $100.

2: You choose price. Apple gets 30% of profit. App Store is the only place to sell games and apps.

4. Hitman45

Hitman45 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    iPhone Gamer
    Williamstown, NJ
    You set the price and get 70% Use the iPhone SDK. Its on apples website.

5. junkster08

junkster08 Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    #5 junkster08, Oct 22, 2008
    thanks for all the responses... $100 fee is gay... just wondering how many ppl are subscribed to that and why even bother subscribing when u can use your freind or another companies one... any suggestions there?

6. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    #6 dudehuge, Oct 22, 2008
    It's actually $99, and no it's not gay. You have access to millions of potential buyers. That's a godsend for indie devs without the distribution power of a huge publisher like EA.

Why bother? Are you stupid? $99 is nothing, that is if you have a job. If you go to another company they will have a cut on your revenues. If you go to your friend, it goes straight to his bank account. All the info is on Apple's site, go read it before you draw you "insightful" conclusions.

Just make sure your shit is better than Reign of Swords, you already dug a hole and you don't even have an alpha build. Big mistake rookie.

7. mek

mek Well-Known Member

first, $99 is nothing, compared to the thousands you have to pay to be able to program on other platforms

two, i dont know how well you are with objective-C and touch cocoa, but that is what the iphone programming is...

also the SDK is free, but it will only work on a mac OSX system..so if you have a pc, forget about it or buy a mac mini..but that will cost you at least another $800 right off the bat

then, from my experience, it took me over 200 hour, about two months to learn how to program on the device where i can actually write a real application

a game like reign of swords was probably done by a team

and not to upset you or anything, but although you have an idea
    the reality is there are more ideas than programmers and for all the programmers, they have plenty of ideas, and not enough time to program them all

i wish the best to you
    but from my experience over the last two months
    it is not easy
    i would recommend that you have some programming experience, are good with logic and have a lot of time to devote to this
    then when you are all ready, have your app programmed, there is a 52 page process of having your app digitially signed and packaged for distribution, and you have a bunch of contracts to sign and...just good fun

then...any money that you make, considering you probably haven't established a company structure like an LLC to reduce your liability...you will have to pay taxes on as a sole prop. or partnership.....then their are local, state, and federal taxes

a lot of things to consider

8. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Junkster08,

Listen to mek. He/she knows what they're talking about. And yes, $99 is nothing. Most games in the Top 100 games list make at least that much every day, even after Apple's cut. The majority of them make much much more than $99 a day.

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

If you mean early December 2011, then I'd say that's about right. I'm not being sarcastic, just realistic. Considering that it's obvious you have zero experience in this area, it will take you a long time before you can even think about making a game better than Reign of Swords, much less actually do it. I don't expect you to listen to me, but if you do continue on this road, you'll find out for yourself. Just giving you a head's up.

--Eric

10. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    MEK! I never knew you were a He/She, cheeky bastard! JK little bear.

Yeah mek knows his stuff. :)

11. mek

mek Well-Known Member

you guys are always picking on me....i haven't forgotten the entire troll thang yet

12. junkster08

junkster08 Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I appreciate all the responses. I am not getting cocky whatsoever i know its a tough process.. im just trying to get as much info as possible.

and fyi im not completely inexperienced... i have made 3 map (1 is still very popular) in wc3 tft

13. Armbruster

Armbruster Well-Known Member

Map making is NOWHERE CLOSE TO PROGRAMMING.

I have all these noobs that want to make big modifications for games, and when asked what they have done previously, they 'made' maps. I know 9 year old kids who make maps, and they are the best things you'll ever see.

Regarding your proper English skills, and the questions you're asking, it's not going to be easy. Before you look for software to make applications for the iPhone and who sets the price, how about going out and buying Objective-C For Dummies Guide, or a book like that and study up. It's a really, really hard language to learn for a beginner who's never programmed C before. With all the classes, exec's and what not, you'll be better off playing games instead of making them.

Even if you do, you might end up like out buddy AAApplications, with their latest installment of Papi Lander.

14. junkster08

junkster08 Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    if u read carefully i never said im experienced... i said not completely inexperienced

15. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I wish you luck, junkster08. But I must say, however hard you think making a game is going to be, multiply it by a million. It will be very hard. And it will take a very long time. That's why most people start out with small games. For someone who's never programmed before, a small little puzzle game could take months.

16. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    And take advice from him, he's got an accomplished game in TanZen, like mek with Hiqup. They obviously know what they're talking about and have experienced the up and downs of making an app, selling it etc. Kudos to both of you guys!

17. mek

mek Well-Known Member

18. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    mek wrote Hiqup? You learn something new everyday ;)

As for the answers on this post - well yeah, I agree 100%. To the original poster, you really have no idea what it takes - that's really obvious. You'll find plenty of help on iphone dev forums and I suggest you ask for it when needed and take it when given. Also, read the documentation, it's really good (although not an exciting bedtime read :) ) I'd suggest raising your expectations of how hard this is going to be. Sure, you can rush something out in a short period of time, but to do it right takes time. And even then, there's no guarantee you'll make anything from it ;)

19. ITrocks

ITrocks Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Omg, i'm so sorry!! I must've mixed you and mek up. Sorry, mate! I meant moopf. Sorry again.

20. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Now mek's a plagiarizing he/she. This keeps getting better.;)