Advice for the release day of a LITE version

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Shaz, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Conventional wisdom says thursday is the best day for a new release.

Do you think this applies to LITE versions too?

I was wondering whether we should release the LITE version of Honey Tribe on a monday or tuesday instead? I'm not sure if sites would write about a LITE version (in a news post) on a thursday when all the new games are out?

Does anyone have any experience on this?

2. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    In all honesty - I doubt people will write about a lite version at all. Unless your game is the next Cut the Rope.

3. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

No, it's not the next cut the rope. It's the current Honey Tribe :p But as you can see from my signature it's "incredibly addictive" and "a touch above the rest" ;)

Well, I'm not expecting front page features. Just a news post. 'If you haven't checked out Honey tribe yet, now you can for free with the LITE version'. Or something along those lines.

4. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Well, if I were in your shoes, I'd aim for a semi-weak release day (e.g. one that doesn't have 25 amazing games in a week) and hope for a subcategory feature honestly. Your more likely to get that than a news post...that is unless it's a site that has previously covered your game (and liked it a lot). Generally I'd expect this from a smaller site, as the bigger ones won't cover a lite version. But for example, last week, lots of lite versions covered the subcategories on apple's 'new and noteworthy', so that's what you should aim for...

5. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

#5 Shaz, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    Yeah, that's why I though avoiding the main release day (thursday) might be sensible as it's just a LITE version.

In terms of Apple features... well I'm not going to worry about that. Obviously I hope that sooner or later they decide that Honey Tribe is attractive enough to be a featured app. But there's nothing I can do about that other than keep improving the game, adding more content and ploughing on with the marketing efforts.

So far I've been pleasantly surprised that all the sites (big or small) that have covered us have really liked the game - minimum 4 out of 5. So yeah, the ones that already wrote about us should be fine with posting news updates like LITE versions etc.

But as for sites that don't know us yet...the hard part is getting them to notice us in the first place...!