TileStorm

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by acakebread, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acakebread

acakebread Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Director MassiveHadron.com
    Guildford
    #1 acakebread, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
    TileStorm is an extremely addictive puzzle adventure game. People have told me that TileStorm is more fun than Tetris, more compelling than a Rubik's Cube, and more rewarding than Sudoku. I hope you agree. With over one hundred unique levels and puzzles, TileStorm is guaranteed to keep you and your friends busy for quite some time and represents excellent value for money.

The idea of the game is to solve a series of puzzles enabling 'Eggbot' to make his way through each respective level to the exit. There are many types of levels, tiles and maps. TileStorm has four themes in total and one hundred levels with one or more puzzles on each. Some of the puzzles are easy and some are hard but you need to complete all the levels in each area before you can move on to the next area. The different themes are: Industrial, Egypt, Medieval and Jungle.

TileStorm is now finished and awaiting approval from Apple. It is due for release in the week before Christmas. Keep up to date on progress by visiting http://www.massivehadron.com and for more information contact [email protected]. At the website you will also see the latest video of TileStorm, or you can directly access it here at youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5QF4gEoYcw

[​IMG]

2. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
  3. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I've played Tilestorm. I guess I should declare an interest as it's using Ground Effect tech under the hood. It's a really cool take on the sliding block puzzle genre.

The puzzles in the sticky-tile mode (as seen at 1:44) are, as far as I know completely unique and get extremely challenging as the puzzles get bigger an more complex.

The touch controls are really slick even on older devices.

4. acakebread

Dec 8, 2009
    Guildford
    Thanks Glenn. The sticky tiles are a real challenge and not something people will have come across before I am sure.

I am really sorry but I tried to link some pictures of TileStorm and I was wondering why they were not coming out. I have just found out that I was doing it the completely wrong way. I think I have fixed the problem now. I hope that people that have already looked at this thread were not put off by this error.

5. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Looks good and up my alley! Hope its approved soon!

6. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Those graphics look VERY nice. I especially like the name of the robot ;)

7. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    oooohh~~~ puzzle adventure game. Looking forward to this one :D

8. From the basic look here:

Pros: Very impressive graphics and 3D tech. Detailed, well-desgned, engaging. Most impressive.

Cons: I have never been a fan of sliding tile puzzles as I've always found them impossibly dull, and this is just a glorified version of one. That said though the visuals alone and the rather unique take on the genre might just make me change my mind. We'll see what the impressions are like I suppose once it's out. But the fact that a sliding tile puzzle is even making me consider it says volumes to me.

9. acakebread

Dec 8, 2009
    Guildford
    #9 acakebread, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
    Hi Mindfield,

It is fair to say that there is a sliding puzzle element to the game, but that is not what it is all about. It is a shame because a video cannot convey the real content of the one hundred levels of the game in two minutes. When you play through you will find that the real problem is not the sliding puzzle element, but in fact working out the route. On some later levels you will also find that there are multiple choices, and in some cases multiple solutions. If you are trying to complete the game as fast as possible, you will need to explore all the possiblilities. Of course sitting on top of all of this, as you say, is the added problem of the sliding puzzle element, but there is a new take on this, and you will find that it is in no way a standard sliding puzzle. The properties of the slide puzzle combine features from other popular games like 'blocked' and to a certain extent some new unique behaviour that people will not have experienced before. So I hope people will enjoy the game for what it is supposed to be, which is that it is a puzzle adventure. You will also find that it is a real challenge. One of my biggest fears for TileStorm is that it might be too difficult. One thing I can guarantee is that TileStorm will keep you busy for a long time. I am very good at it now and it still takes me hours and hours to play through the whole game. I think for new people it should keep them entertained for much longer than that. So if you do buy it I really hope you enjoy it.

Thanks very much for commenting,

Andrew Cakebread

10. acakebread

Dec 8, 2009
    Guildford
    Thanks New England Gamer, eggzbacon and Prab. I think you will enjoy TileStorm. It is guaranteed to keep you entertained for quite some time. I am thinking of giving out some promo codes on this forum when it is approved. Any advice on how to go about doing this will be greatly appreciated. I think I might base the criteria for who gets them on people that have shown genuine interest in TileStorm in this forum.

regards

Andrew Cakebread

11. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Are you planning on a lite version? My suggestion is normally to give codes to people who write impressions and give feedback on the thread for the lite.

This is actually inline with your original idea because from the impressions and the feedback, you can have a good idea if the people actually genuinely like your game. They may want to post the review on iTunes as well.

12. acakebread

Dec 8, 2009
    Guildford

Hi Prab, yes I am planning on a Lite version at some point. I was planning on having a Christmas Lite version at one point, but I sort of ran out of time. So I'll probably work on the lite version over the next couple of weeks, and then I'll have to wait for submission again, so as far as I can tell, the light version won't be available for about a month! In the mean time I would like people to be able to review my game which probably means I'll have to give a few away, but now I have read what you have said I am not sure what the best way to go about doing this is. Maybe the best thing is to announce the promos on Twitter, then people that follow MassiveHadron on Twitter will see them, and people that look at the website will see them as well. People visiting the website are the people most likely to be genuinely keen aren't they? I will post messages on TouchArcade reminding people to visit the website from time to time... It might only be a couple of days

Anyway I'll crack on with the lite version and get it out there as soon as possible. Thanks for your advice

13. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    twitter giveaways? Yeah... thatll work too :)

When the time comes, you can post details of the giveaway (whichever method you decide) at the promo code subforum: http://forums.toucharcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22 and maybe also post a link in the release thread as well.

Good luck :)

14. Thanks for responding. It's unfortunate that sometimes the most interesting elements of a game are hard to convey in a few screenshots and a video. It's difficult to convey the thinking process behind a puzzle game -- especially when you're already good at it and can make it look easy. :) I presume the tiles are randomized?

At least it can be said that the graphics go a long way toward selling the game. That's the first thing that caught my attention as soon as I opened the thread and piqued my interest. That should help considerably.

15. acakebread

Dec 8, 2009
    Guildford
    Hi Mindfield, the puzzles are randomised, but they are seeded randomly which means that everyone is presented with the same problem. Without this feature times would vary for different people playing TileStorm and there would not be any fair comparisons for performance. If enough people would like completely randomised maps then I could certainly add this feature in a rev, but the fact is that I had to go to quite some trouble to actually provide consistent puzzles to all players. In fact many of the maps have been hand scrambled in the editor. I had to do this as a sanity check as much as anything, because while I was testing the game I found that some puzzles were so difficult I couldn't solve them :) I thought this map must be impossible, but even after hand scrambling the maps I still found that some were extremely difficult. It's a bit like a Rubik's cube - it only takes a few shuffles and a completely solved cube looks a complete mess. Anyway don't worry the really difficult puzzles are not until you reach Jungle, the last area, so most people should be able to get this far without _too_ much trouble. At least I hope so

rgds

Andrew

16. ztan

ztan Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Wow! Looking forward to this one and I dig the robot, it has its WALLE style! :)

17. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Do you know if this is in that final stage of review yet? Getting anxious to play it since sliding puzzles have been my thing since I have been a kid! So combine that with an adventure and levels I am in sheer heaven and I have yet to play it!!!!!!

18. acakebread

Dec 8, 2009
    Guildford
    Hi there, all I can tell you is that its status changed from 'Waiting For Review' to 'In Review' on Dec 07 @ 3:11. I have no idea how long it will be there, but I am told it can be anything from 2 days to 14 days!!

But I can say if people are _really_ 'chomping at the bit' to play TileStorm; I can make a few AdHoc builds and roll them out to people that are absolutely desperate. For that it involves the usual procedure of sending me your UDID then I have to make a special build and zip it up with the provisioning key and send it to you; from there, you are on your own - I think it involves dragging the files onto iTunes and a couple of other steps - I will be prepared to do this for people that seem really genuine and especially if they indicate that they are prepared to submit some sort of review (hopefully positive) of TileStorm.

rgds

Andrew

19. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Ok usually, as I have read, changing to In Review is about 3 days no? I would not want to create more work for you just cuz I am impatient!

20. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    my dog loves this game