Bing Bong! - Peggle-esque, mini-golf puzzler! First screenshots + video!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by adamsidev, Apr 21, 2010.

1. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    #1 adamsidev, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
    Update: Added new screenshots/video and descriptions of the new Rebound and Speed orb types

Hi everyone!

Adam here and I'd like to introduce my first iPhone game, Bing Bong!

Best described as a combination of Peggle, mini-golf and puzzle genres, the aim is to collect all the Orbs in each level within the shot limit!

Check out the video for a better idea!

Follow my blog: http://www.adamsidev.com

Add me on twitter: http://twitter.com/adamsidev/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The game is still quite early in development, and I've got lots more stuff planned! Expect lots to change :)

Would love to hear some initial impressions and comments from you all!

Cheers!

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
  3. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    looks nice, though it seems to slow down a lot after rebounding, any speed boost pads?

4. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    After watching the video, I like the gameplay idea. It looks like a lot of fun and you can't go wrong with that graphic style. I like the mechanics you have for launching the ball.

Ideas to throw out...
    -making the neon a bit brighter, it looks somewhat muted in tone
    -varying shot strengths so if you touch and drag further from the ball, it will increase your shot strength to some max power level, but allow for lower speed finesse shots
    -i'm assuming that later levels may include obstacles besides just varied course shapes ...maybe harder levels could have moving components
    -instead of the triple arrow, just one arrow that could stretch/shrink if you do the differing power thing

5. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    #5 adamsidev, Apr 22, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
    Thanks! Glad you think so :)

Ha, never seen that game before! Just downloaded it though, gonna check it out on the train to work in a bit ;)

EDIT:
    Just tried that game on the train, I see what you mean about it coming to mind, but also that it's totally different to mine gameplay wise, phew! ;)

6. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Hiya, thanks for checking it out!

Yeah this is intentional. I wanted to get the balance between well aimed shots and sometimes a bit of luck paying off in the strategy! :) I feel there'd be less control and more luck if it just carried on bouncing for ages every shot.

However... I am currently working on the "Rebound" Orb type (same idea as your speed boost pads) which will be used to achieve exactly this behaviour in some levels. It counts as a regular Orb that must be collected, but when you hit it you rebound off at a faster speed! This will allow for some almost pinball-peggle style levels for a change of pace.

I'll be updating with more screenshots and videos to show this new Orb type when it's finished, so check back ;)

7. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Hey there, I'm happy that you're liking it so far and thanks for the feedback! Just what I'm after :D

The graphics stand out more on the actual device, I'm trying to go for somewhere in the middle of bright but not over-the-top-crazy neon, but I'll try bumping them up a bit anyway and see how it looks.

I think I'm going to stick with a constant shot power, this is something I was trying out at the start of development. I want the emphasis to be on solving the puzzles if it's a puzzle style level or frantic-pinball style action if it's a more straight forward level. I feel adding a power meter would over-complicate it if I'm following this design principle. Also the big advantage of the current method is you can aim anywhere on the screen with your finger as long as it's in the intended direction away from your Disc. If you had to control a power meter from your Disc your finger would cover your target area :)

Yeah, the aiming arrows are something I've been meaning to change for a while now, think they could do with snazzing up even sticking with the constant power method.

Yep! Various other obstacles/gameplay influencing mechanisms will keep it fresh as you get further through the game, such as the Rebound Orb I described in the post above.

Thanks!

8. FK1983

FK1983 Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Web Design
    Bournemouth, UK
    Totally agree to all the above^

9. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    New Orbs!

Howdy again!

I’ve finished adding two new Orb types to Bing Bong! They are the Rebound (yellow) and Speed (red) orbs.

When collected, the Rebound orb bounces your Disc away from it and the Speed orb does just that… speeds your Disc up, allowing it to travel much further before coming to a stop!

These two new Orbs allow for more varied level designs with a focus on speed and well aimed shots to contrast some of the slower, puzzle-based levels.

Here’s a few screenshots showing a simple level with two Speed orbs and a Rebound orb in the mix! It’s a really rapid level gameplay wise and looks very cool in motion so I’ll be making a short video of it soon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I really like this. Neon visuals and Peggle style gameplay is always a good thing.

11. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010

Short video of the Rebound and Speed orbs in action! :)

12. Untamed

Untamed Active Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Looks awesome, can't wait to try it out :)

13. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Quick teaser of the new gameplay mechanic/element I'm adding at the moment.

[​IMG]

The larger blue ring...

More soon! :D

14. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    The blue ring looks very interesting, what is that all about?

15. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    The easy introduction level for this new gameplay mechanic:

[​IMG]

16. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Thanks for clearing that up. I won't be needing that cause I'm awesome ;D

17. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Just a quick update, been finishing off the level select screen and implementing the scoring mechanic. Going to add score multipliers,combos etc next.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Very classy interface. Keep up the good work.

19. adamsidev

adamsidev Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Working on OpenFeint achievements and leaderboards....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. camihq

camihq Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Finland
    looks interesting. :D