Finally got an iPad Air

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by J.R. Jalapeno, Mar 30, 2014.

1. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Hi everyone! After all these years I finally got an iPad Air. This is my first ipad. I'm getting old so I'm excited to start gaming on a bigger screen. Are there any recommendations for the best ipad only games? I have a ton of games for my iPhone 5s that are universal so I know I'll put some of them on there but I wasn't sure if there are any ipad only games that are worth playing. Thanks!

2. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Depends what genres you are into!
    FTL next week :)

Skulls of the Shogun is one of my favourite iPad only games (correction, it is Universal but will be much better on iPad - can't imagine it on a phone!). There are lots of board games that are iPad only (or better) due to the required screen size, like Eclipse new dawn for the galaxy, Small World 2, Space Hulk, Puerto Rico, Agricola, Ticket to Ride and many others.

For more "gamey" type of board/strategy there is Autumn Dynasty (and Warlords), First Strike (a bit micro heavy for my liking right now), Civilization Revolution and lots of the card battle games are nicer on bigger screen like Quarriors, Might and Magic, Magic the Gathering, San Juan, Assassins Creed Recollection.

Also Stealth Inc is an amazing platformer - it is universal but would be totally unplayable compared to iPad I reckon.

Or adventure games like Monkey Island (1 and 2) are really nice to play on the bigger screen. Many others of those type!

For something more technical Uplink is awesome but a steep learning curve. As is Frozen Synapse.

And you could always try pinball which works amazing on iPad in portrait, so Pinball Arcade for real life tables or Zen for something more fantastical.

For multiplayer fun on same device you could do worse than Tank of Tanks and King of Opera.

Maybe my tastes are too eclectic!

3. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    Sweet. Thanks for the info! After I get these dishes done, I'm hooking up the ipad. I wanted to try games first that I couldn't get on the phone. I'll definitely be getting a lot on your list. I love playing all styles of games. Arcade types are my favorite since I grew up in the 70s and 80s but I'll play anything :). Space hulk is definitely one I want to try. Have u played baulders gate ? any good Thx again :)

4. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

No worries!

Baldurs gate, I did fall for the hype on the first one they released but TBH found it frustrating beyond belief so it was a waste of £7 for me. No doubt it's a great RPG but the controls were awful and it's just too deep for me and my playing time maybe. I forgot, Shadowrun is an iPad only RPG that is really really nice. Not your typical fantasy theme, with really nice graphics and good combat.

For arcade, you mean shooters and stuff? Mutant Storm is a heck of an experience on Ipad!

Oh and Crabitron was designed for iPad, although they made it universal afterwards but it's obviously geared for 2 hands on iPad use.

5. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #5 Nekku, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    Baldurs Gate 2:EE (it's so much better in any way than the first one, imo) and of course Shadowrun, which are both fantastic RPG's. If you're into the TCG kind of games than keep your eyes open for the upcoming Hearthstone. Almost any game looks and plays better on a big retina display so just load that b*tch up with anything you want. :D

e: ah, and grats to your new iPad!

6. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    Lol thanks! I haven't been this excited to crack open a new piece of hardware in a long time. I feel 10 again. No better feeling than taking off the plastic and opening the box for the first time. :). I'm sure I'll fill up the 32 gigs in no time.

7. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    I'll definitely try mutant storm. I love all shooters from galaga to geometry wars, etc. Its a shame all the cave games aren't universal. Can see paying for them again. My favorite shooter is tempest and the vita version rocks. I have an Atari jag with tempest and the spinner control and I even have an arcade cabinet. Sometimes simple games are the way to go

8. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Infinity Blade III is designed for the 64bit A7 chip and looks extremely SHINY on the iPad Air.

Anomaly 2 looks stunning too, it's an awesome "reverse tower defense" game.

Tengami is a neat little adventure game with a very lovely papercraft art style.

9. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    Thanks squashy! I have to say the toucharcade community is the best on the web. I've been here from the beginning (I think), and I wouldn't go anywhere else.

10. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    None of these are ipad only but are superior on the ipad
    Star Wars: KOTOR
    XCOM
    Block Fortress: War
    Bug Heroes 2
    Heroes and Castles
    Sorcery! 1&2
    EPOCH 2
    Lone Wolf
    Infinity Blade 3
    The Walking Dead: Season 1&2
    The Wolf Among Us
    The Room 1&2
    Hero Siege
    Wave Wave
    Oceanhorn
    Lego Star Wars Saga
    Kingdom Rush
    Kingdom Rush: Frontiers
    War Hammer Quest
    Device 6
    Colossatron

11. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Phoenix HD

12. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    Thx fangbone! Good list. Looking forward to starwars knights. I'll probably try device 6 and a few others. I was thinking of not putting a screen protector on the air. It will be the first device I'm not putting one on but I feel like going naked for once.

13. J.R. Jalapeno

Oct 6, 2008
    Good shooter. Probably better on the ipad. On my list :)

14. Mutantstorm is probably my favorite ipad only game. If you like dual sticks, it is a most have.

15. zdn1042

zdn1042 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    I would go with Device 6, Walking Dead (Season 1 & 2), The Wolf Among Us, Infinity Blade 3, KOTOR, Bastion, Deus Ex: The Fall.

16. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Seems like if you did you'd need to change your name.

17. SapphireDragon

SapphireDragon Active Member

Mar 24, 2014
    Game Developer
    U.S
    For me, even though it's a little older. I still love to go back to Flight Control HD. On the iPad it's so much better. The screen is bigger, and you can always get a co-op thing going on with a buddy. You can just let a friend take the top half of the screen and you take the bottom half of the screen and then it ends up being like Twister, where you have to cross each other to land the planes :p