Universal The Bard's Tale - (by inXile Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 30, 2011.

1. And_75

And_75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    L.A.
    it shows 1.7gb in my settings>general>usage

Of all my apps, only Nova 3 (1.9) and MC3(1.8) are bigger than Bard's Tale

2. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Just finished this game finally and was a bit disappointed at the ending.. First Of all what's the point of getting all the money u collect after uve already been to the final shop? What do the adder stones do? I missed like half the tokens as well and probly some other things.

Spoilers

I think the end is to easy compared to earlier parts in the game.. And I mean both bosses but the first time I picked leave and that was it? I felt like the narrator was about to explain his past or something but that never happenEd. I thought he would be in sOme way correlated to the main enemy or something. Even still why would they go to such great lengths to stop someone who's stronger and more evil than them. The whole thing that set the bard on that mission was pretty stupid.. Unfortunate cuz the rest of the game was really good... I though atleast there would be some big long ending not just some short scene and good bye...

I think they shouldve planned the ending better in a way to where the bard finds out who he really is or something even though the game is filled with humor that's no execuse for a lame ending... You Finnaly got all the weapons and summons and u can't even use them or it's to easy.. I thought I was going to like have to use all my summons at the end to beat the boss but it was just to boring and simple..

Now I'm trying to update the game and I've deleted like 3.4 gigs and it's still not loading.. I feel like they ended it making it seem like they were gonna do a sequel (but I guess they didn't)

Usually when I finish a game (ESP a long one) I expect some sense of competion, this game just left me wanting more.. I dunno if that's good or bad...whatever I guess

3. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Adder stones are consumed when you use the talismans. Each one has a level 1/2/3 summon depending on how many you use.

I guess the money could be used to get maps to open extra areas, but I didn't mess with that too much myself and some of that stuff might be missable by the time you're at the end anyway.

I think the game was conceived in the vein of most WRPGs in that most of the content is basically how elaborate the world is rather than the central plot. Of course, the game wasn't actually MADE that way though. That said, I don't think the story really hinted that there was much more to things than what was presented either; it's just about the bard having another misadventure.

Difficulty-wise, there's definitely a strange balance. Some types of encounters were always difficult for me regardless of my anticipation of them whereas others could be planned through entirely.

4. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    #504 Darth Ronfar, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
    Oh ok those are just the crystal things, I thought they were used to upgrade ur weapons or spells and I just missed it.

Ya I can see what ur saying but the jokes throughout I felt make it feel more like a genuine quest becoming familiar with the characters and I can't tell if the ending(s) are suppose to be a joke or what but it just felt blah tons of build up for nothing.. Plus u have all these weapons and skills that u don't even use...

Ok, well I just decided to delete the app and reinstall it and completely for forgot about the opening scene that shows the bard at finnochs(the bald guy)
    Chamber.. And then it goes on to let's start from the beginning(I was wandering why my summons automatically switched to show the ones in the scene)

About missing areas? Is there anywhere u can go extra more specifically while flying? I'm pretty sure I checked everywhere...

Also is there Like a specific list of which summons are the best or go together the best?

I guess finock the town could have been totally skipped... Looking back now I guess the whole time the bard was helping the enemy I guess which is why more and more started appearing also why it had hooded guys fighting other enemies..

One last thing are u suppose to do anything with all this kids in dounby?

5. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Well, the game is intended to be humorous, so the endings would be too. Are you familiar with the concept of the Shaggy Dog Story? It's basically where you build up something that seems like it's going to lead to a big finish and then it just peters out, sort of like an Aristocrats joke. The humor is in the structure itself. That's where I have a bit of a beef with the game. Later on there's a sense of aloneness and gloom that overrides the pace of the jokes.

I think the premise with the druids attacking was that while they might have been unified against evil forces, they were still themselves an oppressive faction and the people that help you on your quest seem fairly good despite their allegiance. I don't think the game is meant to dwell heavily on morality. Also, some monsters fight other monsters as well.

As the game came out on the PS2, XBOX and PC, there are a lot of guides that were made about it. They could give you the best perspectives on what's best in one situation or another.

6. Theda

Theda Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    Nice thinking behind this game. I will buy this game.

7. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    http://twitter.com/brianfargo/status/257184316898037760

Sounds like the $0.99 sale on Monday includes The Bard's Tale

8. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    So, are you able to manually equip gear? I keep picking up all this loot, but I don't see an option to equip the Bard. :confused:

9. ZombiFlyBoy

ZombiFlyBoy Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Fun game but way too hard for me :( sucks because I think I would love this game.

10. GeekyDad

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Really? You found it to be too hard? There are some enemies that are pretty tough, but it's easily manageable. I had a few hairy fights, sure. Personally, this is my favorite "big" iOS game thus far, and probably the closest thing to a solid Diablo-like on iOS.

11. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    I missed other sales but finally caught this sale and bought it! Looks great on the iPad 3

12. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I grabbed this when it was last on sale but haven't started it yet... but I'm wondering; now that it's been updated to support the wider screen of the new iPhone and iPod touch, and since I plan on getting the new iPod touch, should I wait to start this game to fully enjoy it on the new screen?

In short, should I play this now or wait until I get my new iPod touch to play it on a bigger screen? lol...

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I'd go ahead and play it now - the extra screen width isn't going to drastically change the game.

14. ZombiFlyBoy

ZombiFlyBoy Member

Oct 13, 2012
    haha ya The wolves just gang up on me I kill 3 of them the 4th runs away and calls more and them I am screwed. I am not a hardcore gamer I always play games on easy, I want to start over tho and play on easy.

15. Wait til you get a new ipad!!! Haha j/k

This game has icloud, so just you can always play a little delete, then start again later on your ipod touch.

16. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    I'm at the part where the ice bricks break off and float on the water, with the wolves and goblins and whatnot. However I feel like I'm severely underleveled or undergeared; both me and my summons die in 2 or 3 hits. Is there anything left I can do aside from start a new game?

17. GeekyDad

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Yeah, it's either start over or start grinding.

18. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Theres not really a place to grind at the point in the game where I am, so I'm screwed? I'm like 4 or 5 hours into the game I think I don't want to start over.

19. GeekyDad

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    You should be able to grind anywhere on the world map. Just run into those cows or whatever they are.

20. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    How to get to the world map from where I am? Don't think it's possible