Your absolute favorite RPG and why?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jorlen, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    What's your favorite RPG to date on IOS and why? Can be any sub-type of RPG obviously, like strategy based, action based or roguelike. Whatever.

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It'd be hard to pick just one but here are some standouts...

Kingturn Underworld - expansive content with challenging chess like turn based strategy matches in a grand political plot.

Fall of Angels - adventure game puzzles in a JRPG exploration/combat world, I consider it to be the best JRPG exclusive to iOS.

WazHack - a 2D sidescrolled roguelike with metroidvania elements that is challenging but so much fun to explore.

The Quest Gold - insane first person turn based dungeon crawling with mind numbing amounts of content and exploration.

3. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions. The original PSX version jumpstarted my liking for RPGs and tactical games and it's pretty legendary itself. Fantastic depth to the system, a dark story with stand out characters, charmingly beautiful art, memorable music, and tons of secrets to find, this complexity stands to be my all-time #1.

Pretty excited for Yasumi Matsuno's kickstarter project Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    King of Dragonpass.

After that, several memorable ones:
    The Spiderweb games: Avadon and the Avernums.
    Kingturn Underworld, if we count tactics games with story.
    Then Ravenmark qualifies as well, and its fantastic worldbuilding gives it a close second place to KoDP.
    The Quest series gets a honorable mention for sheer amount of worldbuilding and content; even though I could not warm up to the later ones.

Sidenote: We need an RPG lounge thread. Nothing like undeadcow's awesome list, just a place to come by and say "hey, found this gem, take a look." I can of course offer the Antwar Saloon for that.
    Or we start a new one. Does anyone know a name of a famous inn of the "upon entering a dark-hooded stranger approaches you: 'You look like adventurers, and I have just the job for you' " kind?

5. Xaliba

Xaliba Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Yes, I agree with Nullzone. I am just starting to get into RPG's and can't decide on which one I should start with.
    Plus the price on some through me off but if its good enough then I will get it.

6. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Honestly I don't have many IOS RPGs. Of the ones I have played, 9th Dawn gets my recommendation

7. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #7 JCho133, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    Battleheart

Heroes & Castles

Bardbarian

Meltdown

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Welcome to a great genre then ;) You won't regret it.

Do you know what you like? E.g. more action-oriented, story and world, great graphics?
    Recommendations will vary a lot, depending on your preferences

And many good RPGs have a higher pricepoint (well, for iOS at least, I still think 10€ are a joke). Look at e.g. Baldur's Gate, widely recognised as one of the best ever. With every additional content, it clocks in at ~20€.

9. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    As soon as I read favourite rpg I was about to dash into the threads and scream 'Morrowind!' But then I see it's iOS. Hmm okay!

I would have said 9th Dawn as I loved that game but since the last update the screen no longer autorotate and now I can't play the damn game anymore and the dev is not responding to PM's or emails. :(

So.. Now my vote will pass to:-

a tie between Questlord and Ultima IV.

10. Recently enjoyed the Shadowsun alot, has a great pc rpg game vibe!

11. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    I have two that I'm currently enjoying the hell out of.

BGII (lots of content and I used to love D&D).

FF6 (lots of characters and great story).

12. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Final Fantasy Dimensions was the best FF post FF6

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    +1 Final Fantasy Dimensions is an excellent game.

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #14 awp69, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    That's a tough one. Lately, I also have been enjoying Shadow Sun, which I think is underrated, as well as 9th Dawn and Doom & Destiny.

I know some people put down the Kemco games, but I still count Fantasy Chronicle amongst my favorite turn-based iOS RPGs. And Stone of Life is a favorite KRPG.

Then there's The World Ends With You, Final Fantasy Dimensions and the Chaos Rings games. KOTOR for Star Wars buffs. And PeteOzzy reminded me of one of my big favorites -- Bastion. Oceanhorn too if you include more Zelda-esque RPG/adventure games.

15. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    TWEWY
    great mechanics, AND one if the best stories told ever!

16. Choobers

Choobers New Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Professionally awesome
    Canada
    Tibia because its hardcore! Well, it used to be anyway. Now it sucks

17. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this to be a very tough decision. 9th Dawn, Avernum, Baldur's Gate, Bastion, Dungelot, Dungeon Plunder, Isle of Bxnes, King of Dragon Pass and countless others really deserve mentions but if I were to choose just one?

The World Ends With You.

But yeah, there are so many deserving to take its' place. I'm spoilt for RPGs on iOS!

Edit: I maybe forgot KOTOR, I think that may replace TWEWY...

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Skill-based combat with a strong RPG progression elements and a full on story backed up by 2 books, Infinity Blade series would have to be my favorite on iOS.

My other favorite RPGs on iOS are the ff:

Chaos Rings series
    Doom & Destiny
    TWEWY
    KOTOR
    Symphony of the Origin
    Slayin (even though it has only minor RPG elements)
    Heroes of Loot (as with Slayin)
    Heroes & Castles (as with Slayin)

19. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    HOW DID I FORGET H&C. I can't believe myself