New member section

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by SRPartners, Oct 4, 2010.

1. SRPartners

SRPartners Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Like most forums have, I think a new member section would be great where new members could post a bit about who they are (iphone app user, developer, designer, etc.) and get a nice welcome from other members.

2. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    No way. That would just be full of useless text no one ever wants to read. We get enough of it from newbies who make their own threads announcing their existence. I think a good idea would be a thread similar to the mass "what should I get?" thread. At least then it'd be easier to avoid.

3. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Welcome to TA. Don't pay any attention to doodlejumper. Unfortunately we do have plenty of people that like to be mean to newbies on the board, but there are lots of folks that are friendly. I don't know that people are into disclosures around here. Seems like the vast majority are gamers. The devs are generally pretty easy to spot - they all have nice picture avatars next to their names which we ordinary users don't get :p

My advice is just to jump in, and start reading and posting.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    On a serious note: Introduction threads often crop up in the Lounge. Since y'know, that's where the more casual chatter goes on.

5. SRPartners

SRPartners Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Sounds good. Was just throwing out the idea. Thanks for the welcome Pluto and no hard feelings doodlejumper.

6. fallenashes

fallenashes Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    yes
    Ugh, this reminded me of Yoda is my Idol. *shivers*

7. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    With the thread being titled "New member section", I wouldn't be surprised if you've started one already.:)

8. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    It's not all that necessary, really. If you plan on sticking around, you'll end up getting into conversation and talking about what you're into and what you're not, which is plenty enough. I think more ends up being revealed through conversation in the Lounge and Game Discussion threads than would be in an intro post.