Is there a way to delete the iOS 7 update from my iPad?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by MasterChief3624, Sep 21, 2013.

1. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I updated my 4S immediately and love iOS 7. I was coming from iOS 5, and the upgrade is huge. Passbook is way cooler than I thought, the camera options are great, the command center is amazing, ...I have some complaints, but overall it is an amazing update and well worth the year I waited for the update! :p

But I don't want to update my iPad 2. I am on iOS 5.1.3 (I think), and I have no intention of updating to iOS 7 on it. I just... I want to keep it the way it is, with the native YouTube app, and all that jazz.

The problem is that in my General area, it apparently already downloaded the iOS 7 update. :( It has the option to Install Now, but I see no option to delete it. Will it only update if I initiate it? Or do I have to worry about it randomly updating while I'm not looking?

Is there a way to delete the update data so that it doesn't install it against my wishes? :(

2. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Can you wipe the device and restore from an earlier iTunes backup?

3. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    I don't think so. I haven't synced it in quite some time.

4. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Liberal application of gunfire.
    Shoot the iPad. That way, it ain't installing anything against yer wishes. :p
    In all honesty, I guess you can try to look in iTunes.
    Maybe you can remove it there.

5. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    I saw this comment online: (Refers to earlier versions, but same issue)

"To fix I jailbroke and installed the package called "Software Update Killer". It not only prevents future automatic downloads, it deletes the software that's awaiting installation. Notice the shrink in 'Other' next time you sync. For me both 6.0.1 and 6.1 were downloaded and I recovered almost 1.5 GB."

Source: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/66925/how-to-delete-downloaded-ios-6-update

6. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    :( I don't want to jailbreak my iPad. Ol' Betsy isn't young enough to be jailbroken.

I guess deleting the file isn't a huge deal as long as it doesn't randomly install on my iPad without me knowing. Do you have an answer for that? Will the update just wait there forever until I click "install"?

7. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    I was on iOS 6.0.0 and it automatically downloaded all of the smaller updates but it stayed on iOS 6.0.0 and never installed them. Unless for some reason it's different for you, I don't think that it will install unless you tell it to.

8. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    All right. I don't care too much about the lack of space if it won't force me to install. I'll just let it stay there... thanks for the help! :D

9. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    It downloaded on my ipad 2 as well and it left me with only a couple gigs of space... I didnt wanted to upgrade the 2 as it has its 64 gb full of games which I dont know if theyre all compatible but it looks like apple is forcing my hand.

Any noticeable slowliness on a gamers ipad 2 ?

10. SlightReturn

SlightReturn Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    I have no means of confirming this, but I have seen comments from users who had gotten the automatic download on devices with limited memory. From their reports, if that space becomes needed before you choose to install the new iOS, that automatic iOS7 download will get dumped from your device.

Again, I have only read rumors of this. I would love to hear feedback if someone could test it. If any of you are still on iOS6 with an iOS7 supported device, and iOS7 has already downloaded without your permission, try and download a bunch of stuff to fill your memory up, and see if it forces the iOS7 update to delete itself.

If that is actually the case, it would mean that the automatic download is really irrelevant, as long as you choose to never actually install it. I don't have any problem with it showing up on your device to make the installation easier, as long as it also doesn't conflict with the choices of those who don't want to install it.

11. This has been kinda adresses in the ios 7 thread.

I had it autodownload, even the new ios 7.0.2 autodownloads.

There was an article in appadvice about it in the ios 7 thread.

I really think it is a lost cause though. Even if you somehow delete it, apple will just resend it to you again.

Basically we are kinda being forced to update or lose between 1.5 to 2.5 gb of space.

12. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Only way to get people to try and get used to something so fugly I guess, then it can be credited as a success.

13. SlightReturn

SlightReturn Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    I've responded to that article in the iOS7 thread.

What I want to know is: If you have a device that has automatically downloaded the update, and you choose to never install it, will it forever haunt your memory storage? There are probably only a select few left to test at this point, but I'm very curious to know if that auto iOS download will disappear if the memory space becomes needed by the user while still on iOS6. I have read comments from multiple (unknown and hence, skeptical) sources that say that if the memory is needed for something else, the uninstalled download will disappear.

14. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    that might be true if it were actually "fugly" but since it isn't your point makes little sense.

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    There's plenty of fugliness to iOS 7. Some nice bits, plenty of fugly. They took the philosophy of flat design (function over form) and did a little bit of Apple magic to turn it into form over function.

16. Zevious Zoquis

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Functions at least as well as 6 did for me and i really like the "form."

I think you are having a problem with the subtle distinction between "subjective opinion" and "objective fact."

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think you're suffering from a lack of understanding in UI design.

18. Zevious Zoquis

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Well hey, you should offer your UI design abilities to Apple since they apparently suffer from a similar lack of understanding. :)

19. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    We desperately need an uninstall or restore previous OS option.

I upgraded to 7 today and ye gods its vile!! The icons now look like they were from a 1990's Computer, no dropshadow. They look flat and bland.

The bar at the bottom is now HUGE and takes up far far too much screen, but even removing all icons from it, it doesn't go away.

Seriously apple... Is this OS a joke? :(

Please let me uninstall this crap, my ipad has gone from looking cool to looking like 'my first computer' with these horrible graphics.

20. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Apple corporate philosophy is and always has been to push people towards the latest and greatest. I can pretty much guarantee you that they will make it as difficult as possible for you to not upgrade to IOS 7.

Sorry I know that's not the answer you want to hear.