IGN Top 25 iPhone Games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kugi_igi, Jan 27, 2010.

1. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    who do you think will be the #1?
    NOVA is there,COD....
    Real racing's place is already revealed,i believe it's # 16
    but i think it will be GTA:CW
    or it's a puzzler or platformer ;)

2. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

I gave up on IGN's iPhone reviews a long time ago, most of them fall somewhere between "inaccurate" and "totally useless". If they're compiling a top 25 list I can only imagine that it'll all be top selling games perhaps mixed with a few total duds.

3. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I predict the following:
    1. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
    2. Squareball
    3. NOVA

4. kugi_igi

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    well, NFSS and Real Racing are somewhere in the top 16-25
    i thought they're at least on the top 10

5. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    thats probably spot on. they only put on games they've reviewed, which isn't very many. They only review like gameloft, ea, and digital chocolate games, with a few exceptions. Their reviews suck anyway though and they have no idea what they're talking about. On their review for minigore the reviewer wrote it thinking that chillingo was a developer and that they were developing so many games lol. I corrected him though and he fixed it.

6. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    we had an ok review on there, maybe we'll get in.

7. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    IGN reaches a wide spectrum of audience, it's articles about the platform benefited not only apple ( additional sales of itouches and iphones) but the indies as well as it increases it's audience. And as in like everything if something becomes too popular the haters also comes out of the woodwork! I value IGN for making it known to the gaming world that the idevices can be a valid gaming platform, I for one got into iphone gaming after reading an IGN article and that is long before I knew Toucharcade existed.

8. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I don't see how they can love Squareball so much. Sure it's an alright indie game but it definitely doesn't make the cut in my top 25.

9. kugi_igi

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    actually i like ign,though they don't include iDevice on the main platforms(only on More tab ;)) they review many iPhone games,not all of course,too many :p
    unlike Gamespot who include iPhone beside PSP,PC,PS3 but isn't updated and don't have much review and details about games

10. Spamcan

My problem with IGN stems only from what I consider to be glaring oversights in their review of iPhone games which I find unfortunate because of their popularity over smaller enthusiast sites. When I play a game I feel has horrible controls and the controls aren't even mentioned in the review I feel that's a glaring omission. When there's two games in the same genre and one gets a higher score then another simply because it has more content even if the controls are horrible I see that as massively inaccurate. Sometimes when the controls are mentioned other features are overlooked, you can't treat the iPhone like an XBOX because as far as controls, graphics and general worth of content go the iPhone is far more subjective then any other platform.

11. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    Controls can be learned, if you play something long enough you get to familiar and eventually better. Content on the other hand is a different story!

12. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I actually quite like IGN's reviews. My only exception is their review of FIFA 10.

13. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I liked their numbers 25-16. I wouldn't say those would be the same as mine would, but all good games. Even got a couple ideas of games I should get. Like Beat It which has an excellent review on touch arcade as well, I just haven't been around TA long enough to have heard about it. I also don't know about Real Racing and NFS: Shift both being out of the top 15. I guess this means there aren't any racing games higher up, expect maybe Jet Car Stunts.

14. Spamcan

Some games have controls that are difficult to get used to and some have controls that are flat out broken, massively twitchy or completely inappropriate for that style of game. At no point should controls simply be overlooked.

15. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    Can you elaborate which game?

16. poutini

poutini Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    Buchanan will vote squareball into the top 5. If he doesn't, it's because the rest of the staff talked some sense into him. I hope to see hook champ and minisquadron up there.

17. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I don't know why IGN are obsessed with Squareball. Personally, I don't think it's that good.

18. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    But you see, a lot of the time, people will say the controls in a game suck, and yet I have no problem with them eg: CoD: Zombies.

19. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Ah. The controls for COD suck!

20. Spitfire3775

Spitfire3775 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Earth
    i think it would be

1. GTA CW
    2. WaW