Definitive list of reliable beta testers...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Foursaken_Media, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

#1 Foursaken_Media, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
    Hey, I thought it would be a useful thread if any dev who has had a beta test listed the forum names of people that were reliable testers -- as in, they offered a lot of genuine feedback and didn't seem like they were just out to get a free game. Would be a good resource to make sure you've got at least a few of these guys in your beta. Not to mention we are looking to start our beta, and I want to make sure we've got some quality participants.

NOTE: This is only meant to be a reference list, something that maybe devs can use to fill up a few extra beta slots and be sure they're getting someone productive, NOT as the "god list" that everyone should use to get beta testers for their games.

2. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I'd agree this would be a great idea. Not only should you post the person's forum name, but the name of the game that you let them test (and maybe a few words about why and how they were most helpful and reliable). I'm going to need some help too this spring and want to make sure I find the best people. :D

3. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

I can see this being a good idea but only if you do not exclude those who may want to start being a beta tester.

Everyone needs a start somewhere.

David

4. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Oh of course. I plan on using this list to include at least a few of these guys in my test just to make sure, and then rounding out the rest of the slots with other "randoms". Otherwise if everyone used this list all the time, you'd have the same testers for every game!

5. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

That is good to see.

Good luck on the game.

David

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
  7. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Thanks, very helpful. Just out of curiosity, why do you think these guys are good? Did you test with them?

8. motitas

motitas Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    You don't wanna know
    I think this is a horrible idea. If a list is made those same testers will be picked over, and over, and over. Also what about new testers? I started about a month ago but now that Im into it, I'm currently testing 3 games. Imagine if there had been no thread to start testing and they would've just picked the testers on the list. Would I be helping out devs?

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I've tested with some of them, but mostly I've just seen them talking to developers and providing great feedback in the release topics. I know they're all active testers and some of them have an impressive library behind them. Plus I know they're all capable of forming coherent sentences, which can be helpful :p I generally regard them as mature and reliable members of the forum :)

10. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Motitas, the idea of this is to just be a resource for developers to use at their discretion, not to be an all inclusive list of the only people who should beta test.

I for one do not plan on picking everyone that is supposedly a good beta tester or listed here. HOWEVER, I do want to make sure that I have ONE to THREE reputable, reliable beta testers in addition to many first timers.

11. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    You know, there's an analogy to be made here with the AppStore's top lists, but I won't go there.

Personally, I wouldn't want to have a new game tested only be seasoned beta testers. In my opinion, there's value in having fresh takes on games. And unless the list is freakishly long, there's no way that a core group of highly recommended testers will be able to meet the demand for testing considering the sheer number of games coming out. And it's not like every tester is going to be interested in the same types of games.

What I think might make more sense than a "list" is to have a thread to serve as a directory where would-be testers could post and update their resumes. They could advertise what they're currently testing, what types of games they're interested in testing, what they've tested in the past, etc.

12. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Good idea!

Although it already seems like the purpose of the thread is getting lost. If someone is a new tester for example and he does a good job, you'd add him to the list! The idea isn't that everyone picks everyone from the list. It would be a SUPPORT resource.

As a developer, the fact is, I don't want free loaders testing my game, and the sad truth is there are a lot of those out there. I dont want to just throw out 30 free copies of my game and get nothing back from it.

That being said, its not like new testers cant be good beta testers, and I'm not saying devs shouldn't give them a chance. I'm just saying it would be nice to have a resource where you can quickly pick up a few reliable testers if you have to. Maybe throw 1-2 in the mix of other newbies so other testers can follow their example.

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Happy to have made MidianGTX's list! :)

I agree that you don't want all seasoned testers for a product, you want a healthy mix of savvy/average/newbie users as well as hardware diversity as you can get. Nor do you want the exact same group testing each app.

Best thing IMHO would be a list somewhere with names, contacts, hardware, OS and UDIDs for people to pick a few from. Someone would have to maintain the list though.

Another thing I'd highly recommend is have an easy to get to forum or email address where people can respond - a forum is best because testers can see each others' posts. If you don't have your own forum, you can make a private social group here on TA and invite people.

14. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    When I asked for Beta testers for Ground Effect I had 30 TA users sign up. About 16 of them ever gave any feedback at all. Maybe 5 or 6 gave feedback more than once, only 4 gave repeated useful feedback.

It's possible that those that said nothing simply didn't like the game and were too polite to say anything but that is kind of useless for a tester. I have rather more respect for the one guy who came back and said "not my kind of game".

When the game was released I went back and counted the 16 that ever said anything and sent out promo codes. At this point 5 of the completely silent "testers" held out their hands for codes. I think this gives an insight to why some beta testers sign up. Eliminating these guys would be more useful.

15. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    well yeah, but sometimes were busy...but its tough. It depends on each tester. Currently im testing IMO and more. but IMO is a big MMORPG, but we have to answer questions to get the prize. I havent answered them yet. Some People might say im a bad tester, but im not. Im waiting to get more of the game done and such....

but I agree with motitas, and thats (somewhat) not because i didnt make Midian's list.

16. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    If you only draw beta testers from one "group" of people, then you don't get opinions from people who are in varied walks of life. Why not have one or two people who may not be able to write a perfect sentence? A good percentage of the customers on the App Store market can't write a proper sentence, so having a few people to represent that section of the market may not be such a bad idea...

Of course it is a whole lot easier to have beta testers who are mature and well educated, but it doesn't hurt to stretch your comfort zone every once in awhile :)

17. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Well thats what I'm saying! I want a list so that you can say "hey, let me grab 2-3 seasoned beta vets to round out my roster." Ideally, your roster would include a wide variety of people to begin with. Its just nice to have those that are almost guaranteed to give feedback.

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    It's not supposed to be all inclusive, I wrote it up in about 60 seconds off the top of my head. If I'd thought of you, you'd have gone in too.

19. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    In that area I guess we were saying the same thing :)

I have been on TouchArcade for over a year now, so I have quite a few friends who I trust. While this list would probably not be useful to me, it could help newer devs to hit the ground running. Good luck!