Universal RPG Dragons Odyssey Frane - [by Exe Create]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by chaos_envoys, May 2, 2012.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    You have to take the stairs to the bottom of the mine. There you will find the crane handle; head back up and place the handle on the crane, then climb down a bit on the stairs so you can ready the hook attached to the crane -- you will automatically head down to a previously innaccessible area (and a boss fight).

Hope that helps...

2. Aarix

Aarix New Member

May 8, 2012

The crane is outside the cave

3. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Any comparison?

I'm a huge fan of Crimson Gem Saga, but unfortunately that game hasn't been updated since 2010 and no longer runs smoothly on my iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.

So, I've been looking for a great replacement game, and have tried quite a few (like Ash, Heroes Lore III, and Adventure Bar Story, just to name a few).

Would any of you say that this is a good replacement? I know the battle system is totally different (CGS is turn based where as DOF is action), but DOF seems to also have a great story and 32-bit like graphics like CGS.

The story doesn't seem to be as interesting as CGS and the writing seems no where near as humorous as CGS, but I'd love to hear your thoughts and if you like one over the other.

Thanks RPG'ers!

4. LordVulcano

LordVulcano New Member

May 9, 2012
    Thank you!!..
    You really helped me.. ive finally made it to the boss!.

5. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    "Thanks God, You're the greatest!"

That part tickles me! =)

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    This is a tough question to answer because the two games are so different. In one sense, if you are looking for an RPG with some narrative depth, with story-driven quests, a variety of characters with their own back stories, and a world that has some coherence to it, you will probably enjoy Dragon Odyssey Fran. CGS, however, has definitely the better story, the larger and richer world, and overall much more depth to the role playing aspect of the game.

That said, I'm actually really enjoying this. The combat is more like that of a shooter than a typical RPG. The world changes as you make your way through the game: what starts as a house you build in the forest turns into a bustling town, with NPCs, stores, etc. You can plant a garden and see it grow -- you can then use the vegetables in a simple but satisfying crafting system. And the story is just, well, odd, in a way that I'm finding interesting.

Whether you enjoy Dragon Odyssey Fran depends on your tolerance for goofiness, and whether you can get into a combat system that is very simple by RPG standards (but somewhat deep for a shooter). There's actually a lot to the game, especially for an iOS RPG (this was originally a PC game), as you make progress the narrative gets more involved.

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Thanks for the insight!

Thanks so much for the insight! I really enjoy story and character development more than the hack'n'slash of KRPG's, so it sounds like I would enjoy this one. And I love visiting towns and such, so the fact that town development happens is a nice bonus. I'll definitely get it now, and let everyone know what I think after I've gotten a bit into it.

That being said, man, I hope a deal can be made to get CGS updated... My phone feels so empty without it.

8. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I didn't see a reply to this. Anyone? The iCloud support in "The Bard's Tale" was awesome for switching between devices. Does this have it enabled? Thanks.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I don't think so.

10. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    There is an update available,unfortunately the description is in japanese only.
    Anyone here who could enlighten us who do not speak japanese what's new?

11. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    1. Support japanese VA
    2. Option to change between japanese and english in the title screen
    3. Improved dash mechanics

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I see the description in English on my iPhone. Apparently they've added the Japanese voice track and improved dashing (which worked fine for me already, but whatever ;))

If they indeed added a Japanese option for the dialogue, that's a welcome addition.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    They did add the Japanese language track, and it makes a huge difference IMO.

I'm 9 hours in and getting close to the end (I think). From a story, character, and gameplay-variety perspective, this is one of the richest RPG experiences I've had on the platform. The story actually takes a more serious (perhaps even moving) turn around the 2/3 mark, and even though a bit of goofiness remains it does add some depth to the game. I haven't done that much crafting, but I've managed to experiment a big with the cooking system to make healing potions.

I have to say, it's really nice to play an action RPG that does not constantly harass me to spend real cash (even if they're not strictly necessary) -- in fact, the game has no IAPs altogether. As I mentioned before, the game is not for everyone, but I think people who can get into it's vibe are really going to enjoy it.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #74 squarezero, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
    Just beat it: took me about 12 hours or so. The ending is actually very cool; I won't spoil it here, but let's just say that there's a suprising gameplay variation at the end having to do with dragons.

All in all, this is probably one of the more enjoyable RPG experiences I've had on the platform, miles away from the typical Korean ARPG. This is very much a PC game, not a cellphone one. I like how it managed to balance uncluttered combat and leveling systems with rich environments, decent variety of gameplay, and a goofy yet involved story. I definitely recommend the Japanese soundtrack, since the voices do a good job of communicating the emotions of a scene without getting annoying (it should be noted that the short CGI cutscenes at the beginning and the end remain in English).

15. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Well, you've definitely convinced me SZ. I've been hesitating because I'm over 14 hours in to Fantasy Chronicle and it still feels like I have a lot more to do before I beat it. Once I finish that, I'll start in on this.

16. Tutt22

Tutt22 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    I picked this game up after seeing it went on sale. My problem is I don't know what's going on in the combat. I'm not sure why there are boxes around the enemies. Also, it looks to me like sometimes, the enemies health bars are almost gone but can't get the last bit.

I probably missed something in the instructions but does anyone have a brief explanation for how combat works?

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Basically, the combat breaks down as follows:

*you have movement control of the boy; the girl follows as best she can. Any hits apply to the boy's HP. If the girl gets hit enough times she goes on a rampage, using you as her weapon (you kill most things on screen, but take a serious HP hit)

*One attack button controls the boy's melee attack. The other attack button controls the girls magical range attack. When you attack with the boy, you also target enemies for the girl (those squares around enemies). This works on everything but the bosses, who can't be targeted using the lower level spells from the girl -- you actually have to aim.

*When the meter on the upper right hand side is full, the boy can do a dragon rage attack that's devastating even to bosses. Just press on the dragon icon that appears on the upper right. The boy is invulnerable during dragon rage attacks.

*Most mobs are either ice or fire aligned. As you would expect, they are most vulnerable to the opposite elemental power. All your weapon, armor, and spells have an elemental alignment: make sure to select the right one as you enter combat. Unfortunately there's no quick way to switch armor, weapons, and spells -- you have to use the equip screen. If you are finding hard to kill some mobs (even when their health bar is almost gone), you are likely hitting them with the wrong elemental power.

*During boss encounters you cannot access your equip screen, so make sure you have the right weapon, armor, and spells selected. Also, make sure you have potions I the quick access bar, with at least one mana-recharging potion.

*The girl's basic spell does not use mana, and it gets more powerful as she levels up. Keep an eye on mana at all times -- you may end up losing her power without realizing it. Remember: you can always use the basic spell.

*Experience points are shared between the characters, but not evenly: whomever actually makes the kill gets the bulk of them. Keep in mind that God likes when the boy is ahead level-wise (kind of sexist, if you ask me ;)), and you'll get rewards if guy use melee attacks often.

Hope that helps. There's a surprising amount of depth to the game, but it should all be pretty accessible once you get the basics. Good luck!

18. Tutt22

Tutt22 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010

Wow! Thanks! I appreciate the help.

19. Johnny1st

Johnny1st Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2011
    What kind of rewards?

20. Johnny1st

Johnny1st Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2011
    There was an update a while ago to version 1.0.2. What were the changes?