Universal Table Top Racing Premium Edition (by Playrise Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Galenmereth

Galenmereth Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    If I'm not mistaken, this game was $2 long ago before it went f2p. Then f2p was added. I seem to recall paying for the original at least...

2. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Yes, I think that's the point of the developer providing codes. I bought it too, but it went freemium shortly thereafter and I lost interest.

3. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Lovin it, left a 5-star review in the AppStore.

Does multiplayer work across both versions? Premium seems kind of empty, whereas I almost never had trouble finding opponents after the original went free.

Also, can we pleeeease keep the coins we earn even if we lose? That was something you guys discussed after the original came out.

4. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Thank you @nburcombe. Received the code for the the new "premium edition". Also, resulted in the game moving up in the folder hierarchy (yea,I'm an app hoarder). Hopefully I'll get through the whole game this time, the original was great the few times I had the time to try it out.

5. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Yup, I paid for this on day one, and now F2P, got screwed, as always, deleted, sad because loved the game and was on my device until today.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    You also have to look at the bigger picture. Some devs spend months without an income to produce a game, if it doesnt sell as well as they thought they have to do something to pay the freelancer costs/building costs/rent/food etc. They tried free to play which granted for people who bought the game initially it was a kick in the teeth but its not the worst crime.

Yeah i've paid twice for this game but how much have i paid in total for this quality game, probably $5 or $6, not exactly bad. Blame all the 'i'll wait till its 99c' people, if more people buy apps then the devs make money, produce more games for us, wont have to go free to play etc. Blame the promo code lurkers and the cheapskates. You hear about devs struggling and having to give up making games a lot, its a difficult market out there.

7. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

I see your point and agree, but sometimes it sucks when it happens a lot, just frustrated, when you are the receiving end sometimes, lol.

8. PaulEd7

PaulEd7 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Sorry to repost, thought you may have missed this, Nick. Shame to have the premium version missing one of it's best attributes.

9. nburcombe

nburcombe Well-Known Member

Sadly not - it was causing all sorts of problem with people losing coins - so we decided not to include it on this version.

10. nburcombe

Everything that PSJ said is right.....and sorry I've not seen the replies to this thread....

This race to the bottom has not been healthy for most indies. Waiting on 99c does nothing for serious devs wanting to self publish on mobile and to bring you more games quickly. Most indies - don't fully understand the F2P business model and although you can learn it - you're eventually faced with the question - want type of business do we want to be? Analytics driven or Game Design driven?

For Playrise, we want to be making 'games for gamers'. The sad reality is that most people on mobile are not real gamers. You guys are an exception rather than a rules and we know you want high quality software at a decent price. No tricks. But the economics of it aren't good. Our excursion into free has been very interesting from a learning point of view, but not what I would call a commercial success. If we had been able to sell on mobile at $7.99 or £5.00 (like the vita version) it would have made a lot more sense given the numbers, but then of course the bulk of the mobile audience (I'm not gonna call them gamers) wouldn't buy it because "Its too expensive". So there you have it - the reason the Top Gross chart is locked up with F2P and paid-apps can't get a good footing - its because the bulk of the audience are not real gamers - they are just looking for the next distraction or they have everything they need on their phone already. Interesting read here....

(http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2360831/concerns-raised-for-developers-as-interest-in-mobile-apps-dwindles).

I suspect, this is having negative impact on the store holders themselves - less apps being downloaded. Its been interesting to see quality paid apps appearing at sensible prices - Monster Hunter Freedom etc but, it's a little too late in my view. Until Paid-Apps are selling in sensible volumes again on the various stores, we simply can't make it our leading platform any more. Until then, we'll be looking at indie-friendly consoles, pc/steam and then mobile/AndroidTV.

We'll always want to bring our games to mobile - of course - you guys are important to us and probably the reason we're still in business, but just from a business perspective, we need to recoup the investment made during development and that means selling to paying gamer's who value our work.

We have good stuff in the pipeline - but we need to hit an audience that actually appreciates it and doesn't just sit there waiting for it to jump to the bargain basement or go free.

The public will end up deciding if mobile is a valid platform for gaming. Gamers need to unite and buy paid titles in volume if they want to see flourish. Its the only way to save it from rotting in a f2p fad hell in my humble opinion ;)

Nick

11. nburcombe

Hi Folks, who wants some Table Top Racing Premium Edition Promo Codes?

I'm happy to give out 30 codes on TA if they are going to be used. Hopefully people who've not play it can have a go, but if you use them to bolster your twitter feeds or facebook pages, please just be sure to give a nod to @PlayriseDigital and www.facebook.com/Playrise respectively. If you want them - I'll dump them here. The reason I'm doing it is that here in the UK there's a promotion on with the Telegraph newpaper and you can get it for free and there's going to be a run of Starbucks 'Free Paid App of the Week' coming up shortly. Let me know if there's any desire for it :)

12. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    is the game being pulled from the appstore ?

13. nburcombe

No not at all - what made you think that?

14. nburcombe

5 More TTR Premium codes - when they are gone - they are gone.

Yhajjmjtrfkj
    6rxpt3xll6lm
    y346pkt44ahf
    mt46tl99nnkl
    6xtpee4tlt4a

Use capital letters only....TA is making them lowercase.

15. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Impressions/ mini review.

The first thing i noticed, was the graphics. I am not a graphics w#@$ but.. you have to see them. The cars and the racing environment are top notch, detailed, and the lighting effect used, makes everything more cheerful and home-roomish, making for a very pleasant yet playful atmosphere.

The music is likewise upbeat rock guitar.

The gameplay is your standard fare for combat racers, with time events, elimination, all out battle, and championships where you have to accumulate points in a series of races, to unlock the next car. The weapons are rockets, bombs, emp zaps that slow down all the cars around you.. and they all have this toy feeling, like the rest of the game. ie. the rockets are fireworkish, the bomb is a toy bomb, etc, supporting the "toy racer" feeling.

There is car upgrading, color scheme change and wheel replacements. Those last ones act as powerups, and so are pretty expensive.

What i am most pleased about though, is that all the racers tend to huddle up, so 1)if you lose your place it is easy to catch up, cause some major damage and get back on top, and 2) the oponents can catch up equally quickly, so you will have to be strategic about the weapon use. Overall this makes the game feel very fair and exciting, for nose to nose races to the finish line.

I think this game oozes quality, with a 3d micromachine battle racer feeling, and i hope it does very well on the sales! 5/5

16. nburcombe

Thank you very much for that review! Nice one :)

17. redribbon

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  18. nburcombe

Ok, so if I could give you some feedback - the colour tone is a little on the red side, don't know if you have control over that on whatever this mystery device is, plus the framerates are certainly dropping breifly from 60hz, do you have control over the v-sync at all?

19. redribbon

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    ^the color tone yes, you can controlled it. but i prefer the default settings since i really not that good at color picker :) and i dont really think it has something to do with the v-sync since on my mini retina the framerate itself drop sometimes below 40fps, well maybe 35-40. but still it plays butter smooth, not on all area especially when you have all cars collides in one screen but overall yes, i can say its butter smooth.