Universal Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Capy_Nathan, Mar 23, 2011.

1. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    Impatiently awaiting my download of Sword & Sworcery to finish. I know little about this game outside of a 3 minute YouTube video and rave reviews. But the originality, retro 8-bit quality and music makes it sound like a winner. Can't wait to stay up too late tonight! :)

2. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I was interested, but after reading the review on the main page, it seems that it's a very short game, with 3 chapters. I might be wrong though.

3. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    #103 zergslayer69, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    Funny how I get lost in the main menu. Lost as in don't know what to do. And that word rotate doesn't work!

Edit: pro tip, don't orientation lock your device =p

4. Capy_Nathan

Capy_Nathan Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the posts, feedback, discussion, questions, etc so far TA-Folk.

Don't forget to take screens (HOME+LOCK) and post'em here or on Facebook (if you post on FB, tag the game title so we can see them!)

5. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Absolutely terrific experience so far! The music is indescribably epic, the artwork is simply breathtaking, and the controls are very good once you find a comfortable way to use them.

One complaint, though— I don't like some of the humor in the first chapter. It just seemed a little off-key for such an epic adventure. I hope it stays away from that kind of thing in the last two chapters!

6. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010

I disagree. The one sided "conversation" in Chapter 1 brought a big smile to my face. :)

7. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    The humor was kind of subtle so it kept it light hearted without making it seem silly.

So far the experience with my sennheisers is just audio bliss. Touch control was slightly wonky and I had to do the first part a few times. Don't want to be too specific for spoilers.

8. Capy_Nathan

feel free to send me a PM with what you thought was wonky, if you dont want to spoil. If there's bugs/issues i'd love to know about them for upcoming updates. Thx!

9. mattw

mattw New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Just signed up here so I could express my thanks to you guys for putting this game together, I've been eagerly reading up on the development of this game for months, which is how I came to find this site in the first place. The game is great so far and I sure hope other developers will take notice because you guys definitely raised the bar for iPad gaming!

Jumping the gun a bit I know, but I can't wait to see what you guys do next!

Also just noticed critter crunch is available for iphone. here's some more money :D

10. ErikTheRed

ErikTheRed Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Holy eff. Just played session one. Guys, if you have access to an iPad, get this game NOW. It is that good. Super congrats to the whole S&S team! The art, the sound, the implimentation, the experience... Yup, it's all right here. I am REALLY impressed.

Already got the game? Digging it? Tell you friends, your grandmas bingo club, and random strangers in the checkout line about it! Spread the word!

Dig the tunes? Check out the further works of Jim Guthrie on Bandcamp or iTunes!

Enjoy well crafted, artisticly flared and all around fun games? Critter Crunch and Clash of Heroes are two additional excellent games from Capy! (really looking forward to clash hd)

Support all these people! They've done some damn fine work!

Looking forward to my next session with S&S tomorrow. ;)

11. Tayorm6707

Tayorm6707 New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    So, dumb question here. How do you dodge while in combat?

12. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    As a by-stander: I read there are only 3 chapters there. Is it possible to add more length into this? (No spoiler please)

13. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    #113 JoeyLP, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    So jealous of everyone who has played this. Hurry up April!

14. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    That made me smile too. :)

15. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Wunto, ooba ingbola mas bello. Poldat de faw! Bodos el taum un darmist. 5/5

16. Capy_Nathan

Your shield button becomes your dodge. just gotta time it right.

17. NathanQuest

NathanQuest Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    Work of Art

Hi there,

haven't written in a while, but having played S&SEP last night for about 1 hour I was overwhelmed. This really is the best game I have ever played on one of the iDevices.

All blends together perfectly: The artwork, the atmopshere, the fantastic sounds, the music, the menus - it all screams out loud "I got Style" :)

And I dare put it on par with other beloved masterpieces like "Ico" and "Shadow of the Collossus".

Can't thank the Superbrothers enough and hope there will be more chapters to come.

Just my thoughts :)

18. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    I honestly did not think games could make me feel this way anymore. But this is an adventure full of surprises. & 100% cool music & 97% interesting & gripping story. :D

19. riChchestMat

riChchestMat Well-Known Member

It's a Twitter reference. I'm not sure but I think Twitter has some significance in this game.

20. anualisher

anualisher Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    IT
    You can choose not to buy it, but i'm wondering if you'll regret it later. LOL