Great games using the accelerometer?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ziotoo4, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ziotoo4

ziotoo4 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    #1 ziotoo4, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
    Hello everybody,
    ziotoo4 here, quite new to the forum ;)

A couple days ago i downloaded TvOut, a jailbreak app that, as the name says, allows me to output video to my television via the official Apple AV cable.
    Of course i can output games, too: but the iphone screen will just go black. So coordinating finger movements on virtual d-pads and buttons becomes really difficult.

Luckily, howewer, the iphone has a built in accelerometer-exactly the thing you need to use it as a portable wii :D

That is, i am currently compiling this thread with the best games using the accelerometer: those that you can play with TVOut, when your fingers are tired, when it's freezing and you don't want to take your gloves away....and so on ;)

Basically a wii-iphone compilation :)

SO FAR I HAVE:

Flick fishing: a fishing simulation that works perfectly on TV: the iphone is your fishing-rod, and the external screen is the pond. Works well also on the iphone only

Hippo High Dive: is free (is it still free?) and has a great value! I'm loving it so far ;)

Doodle Jump
    : obviously

Boost 3d: although it's unplayable if you have the AV cable plugged in, works greatly on the iphone screen

Need for speed: undercover, Need for speed: shift, Real Racing, Parcel Panic, Asphalt 5, Crash Bandicoot, Cocoto Kart Racing, ...: great driving simulators that work greatly on the Iphone screen and on TV (btw, have you seen this DIY steering wheel??? It's nice ^_^)

Space Ninja: a nice survival game played with the accelerometer. Never played it, but seems good from the review

Ground Effect: has its own category because it can be played 3d on the TV!

Labyrinth I/II: I already knew of those, but (just like starball), it's hard to play them on the TV. Howewer, they work greatly with the accelerometer, and Laby 2 is a total eye-candy.

Glyder 1/2, nanosaur 2
    : similar concept-but since (for what i got from gameplay videos) they use buttons, they're hard to be played on TV...

...what else would you add? I will edit the post adding the best ideas ^_^

Thanks,

Fede

2. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Starball is a great game. You are a ball, umm, collecting stars :eek:, it's really fun, a new update just came out, there are online leaderboards and a lot of other cool stuff.

3. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Aurora Feint II,

4. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Wow.......

But really, labyrinth 2 might work and blue defense! would be a lot of fun.

5. OzzY

OzzY Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Student
    Serbia
    Parcel Panic & Mission: Deep Sea = you'll need to touch for forward and backward which is not going to be difficult (I think).
    Labyrinth (1 & 2), hmm...
    They are "Great games using the accelerometer?" but for horizontal position. I assume you are not going to place your TV screen in horizontal position.

6. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Labyrinth 2, Doodle Jump.

7. ziotoo4

ziotoo4 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Tvout can output both vertical and horizontal mode, so no problem ;)

8. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

crazy turkey blast is a great one. tilt to aim, tap screen to shoot.

9. Gryphon23

Gryphon23 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    McDonalds! French Fries anyone?
    At that place... with those... people...
    Hi, How are You works great with the accelerometer. I completely agree with Flick Fishing.

10. OzzY

OzzY Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Student
    Serbia
    No, I mean h and v mode of iDevice itself, Labyrinth will be difficult to play because you play it in same position as when you put your iDevice on e.g. table - horizontal (screen up), and you'll need to watch it on screen which stands vertical.

11. Miti96

Miti96 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Labyrinth 2, definitely.

12. Vali

Vali Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Hippo High Dive is still free. Just picked this up and it's well done.

13. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    #13 acidshaman, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
    Super monkey ball? The accelerometer measures the force of gestures. I think u mean the gyroscope. I don't know what it is but all these names are like cliche funny to me.

14. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    space ninja, but I haven't played in a while

15. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Space Ninja. It got acclaim for its tilt controls and exciting gameplay, with still some of the best controls out of any game yet. Please add it to the list.

Edit: And how could I forget Labyrinth 2?! Just as good as Space Ninja.

16. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Real Racing.

17. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Whoah... :eek:

So jailbreaking lets you play games on the TV?! Wow, I think I wll have to JB soon then. That would be really fun I think, to play some games on TV.

Why does Apple not let users do these things normally?! :mad:

18. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    Starball is an amazing unknown game.

Sky Burger too, if you have the tilt controls on :p I prefer it with touch controls though.

19. abruce42

abruce42 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Just Thought of something epic: Ground Effect.

Imagine if the 3D worked on the Tv as well.. oh that would be sweet, and I really think it would.

20. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    .. (which in my opinion was named pretty poorly because you can't even find it in the app store - I had to search for it by the developer: ustwo, so here is the link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id344189536?mt=8)

cube runner (FREE)
    super monkey ball