I think 2d boy figured out the app store iPad sweet spot

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stirolak26, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    It is launching for $10 a pop:
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/World+of+Goo/news.asp?c=25485

That's not cheap ESP for a game that has been out for a while on multiple systems. This really shows the iPad staying power in gaming vs the casual nature of iPhone app store. Anyone agree? It makes no sense infinity blade or aralon shouldn't be at least this price if not more, and IMO should have launched for the iPad first to get the most cash flow and later appear cheaper on iPhone.

2. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I don't care aout whatever stirolak is saying but WORLD OF F****** GOO!!!! ON MAH IPAD!!!!!

NERDGASM!!!

3. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Never played it but don't see how an old indie game ported to every device should have an introductory price of $10 and survive or long.

4. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    Because it's worth $10, and would still cost around that on PC/Mac

5. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    But I think the factbit is ipadmonly has to do with it as well. iPad games at higher prices seem to have more staying power and in general cost more. I think aralon and infinity blade would have had more profits had they came out iPad exclusive for at least a month and priced high. I bet at least one of them will be priced less than goo due to being on iPhone from the get go.

6. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    factbit is ipadmonely?

7. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    I couldn't help but laugh at this, do you really think there are more iPads out there compared to the iPhone/Touch? More people owning iPhone/Touch means more sales than say a higher priced iPad game.
    Take for instance Chaos Rings, any Gameloft game that made the original game HD -- which do you think would make more money?

I doubt it. I'm pretty sure both games are universal.

8. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    #9 Stirolak26, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    You guys seriously think there is a massive group of ppl who wants to play console or pc style complex games or games like infinity blade with challenge and large worlds on a phone? Ppl want doodle jump and stuff n the iPhone and other phones it is only on the iPad that there is potential for someday devs and I mean real devs as well as profits. I mean the iPad with its battery life and all could rival the psp and ds and even their successors if devs take up on it but who wants to play real games on a phone? And the few of you who do should also encourage this strategy as it would translate into real games being made as universal apps and such.

9. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Are you serious with these pointless threads?

10. TNT_HEADSHOT

TNT_HEADSHOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Everyday you make a ridiculous thread talking about the iPad... just stop.

11. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Those are fighting words there buddy. Please cool it.

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah, way more iPhone owners want this stuff than iPad owners. The iPhone is actually portable.

13. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    um...yes. what do you think the point of this forum is?

this is an interesting sentence. anyway, these pick up and play games aren't made by real developers? who are the real developers? EA? gameloft? your sweeping generalizations are offensive.

the smaller iOS devices are ALREADY trumping the DS and the PSP. who wants to play real games on the iphone? i do...i bet there are a lot of other people here that do, too...

the few of us that do? i'm new here too, but i still have the ability to recognize that this place and others like it existed before i joined. this place has been functioning long before the ipad was even announced. 'real' games abound in the app store.

terrible post. terrible thread. i just couldn't help myself.

14. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #15 Pacificsun0481, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    Stirolak, is 1/2 right.

The iPhone/iPod touch bring with them, a much larger audience. If only because of market adoption/penetration.

However, what the iPhone/iPod touch crowd, does not understand is that the broad swath of iOS games are just to put it simply, better experienced on an iPad.

One cannot truly gauge the gaming experience on an iPad, unless you own an iPad or have constant access to an iPad. Trying one at the Apple store, really isn't a sufficient experience.

I used to also own an iPod touch. I preordered the iPad. After the iPad arrived, the iPod touch collected months of dust. I sold it recently.

The thing with the iPhone/iPod touch is, as beautiful as the retina display is, it just cannot make the screen size any larger.

Often your fingers and thumbs obscure the view, you have less screen area...

I guess I'm trying to say, with an iPad you have a much larger window to what you're looking at. It gives a completely new experience which in itself, is more engrossing. You can play games for longer periods. It's not as "casual", meaning you are constantly wanting to use it - not just for brief periods.

It really brings a new dynamic to AppStore content. I wish it were taken more seriously, by devs. I do think it should be, just as much as a lead platform as the other iOS devices, when it comes to development because it brings an overall better experience.

Yes, there are less iPad owners (it's not subsidized and it is more expensive), it's new and a first for Apple (first tablet, only been in existence for 7 months)...

However, the number of iPad owners is expected to grow as it becomes more widely known and adopted. The iPad, being a new device is selling in greater numbers, than the first iPhone did in 2007. The iPad is also holding a record, for the largest adoption rate of any electronic device ever, and also any device released within a first year. Even surpassing the advent of the DVD player.

It would be wise, to take the iPad seriously. I believe those who don't, either can't afford one or are just spiteful out of an elite jealousy, and fear that the smaller iOS devices may get left behind eventually...when it comes to future developers maybe choosing iPad as the native platform first, for more console like experiences.

My only pet peeve is this:

iPhone/iPod touch owners refuse to pay iPad game prices, because the prices didnt start higher from the get go. Unlike the iPad AppStore. So, I dont understand why, when an iPad version is released and has extras (the app may cost more) the smaller device owners are the first to complain. The iPad versions often cost more because "hd" is in the name...but these new iPhone/iPod touches have retina displays and those device owners aren't having to pay any extra for games running at those resolutions. Get what I'm saying?

They pay less for an app. They want the extras of an iPad version, and they want retina support. But they complain at the thought of a price increase, for any of those things...(they call iPad owners arrogant and greedy?) Why then, does the iPad version cost more? The resolution is as much built into an iPad, as a retina display is built into an iPhone 4, yet those owners get the hd visuals at no cost. That's my only peeve.

Just opinion.

15. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    qft.

16. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Another 'why is this worth x?' thread.

The last paragraph in that article confuses the hell out of me:

"Turning to the all important question of price, World of Goo will cost £5.99 / $9.99 on iPad when it hits the App Store – half the price of the PC and Mac versions and about 50 per cent less than on Wii."

Isn't half and 50% the same thing? lol

17. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    You need to learn to English.

"and about 50 per cent less than on Wii."

Is simpy filler to make the article seem longer than it actually is.