IDRTG - Twitter Re-tweet Group. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by raekess, Mar 2, 2013.

1. raekess

raekess Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    Hey all,

I've been looking into social marketing for our game and came across IDRTG - Indie Developer Re-tweet Group. I looked at their website, but the information they provide without signing up is pretty sparse. And, in order to sign up, you have to give IDRTG authorization to use your account for the following:
    • Read Tweets from your timeline
    • See who you follow, and follow new people
    • Update your profile
    • Post tweets for you

Have to say, I'm a little leery about allowing a third party to have any control over my company's Twitter account. It's our brand I'm building and I'm very careful with the image we're projecting.

Have any of you joined? Is it worth it? What exactly do they do with your Twitter accounts? Are there any other groups like this? What are your experiences?

2. Freespirit

Freespirit Member

Oct 30, 2012
    I am a member. They haven't done anything with my account. I find it useful to see what other devs are doing but not useful for marketing your game.

3. raekess

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    Thanks Freespirit! Appreciate it!

4. I'm a member as well. No issues with anything.

5. raekess

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    Thanks BlueSpiral.

6. CharredDirt

CharredDirt Well-Known Member

Yup, same here. It might be standard twitter integration BS. Nobody has made unauthorized posts. Since it's free, it's definitely worth it.

7. ns804apps

ns804apps Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    I am a member as well and have not had anything other than retweets i manually retweet sent. Works for me.

8. raekess

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    Thank you!

Thanks CharredDirt and ns804apps.

CharredDirt, you said it's worth it. Have you gained followers by using the group? Do you feel you're getting a good return in attention to your app and/or downloads?

9. CharredDirt

CharredDirt Well-Known Member

My app's not out yet, but I like to promote ahead of time and build up a social network. I have met a few people through it and definitely gained some followers. Don't have any metrics on it but considering its a great free service and I've gotten a net positive benefit, I can see no good reason not to.

10. ns804apps

ns804apps Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    I saw several downloads of our app from the twitter feed hard to tell if it was IDRTG or other activities, but I feel confident it did not hurt and am sure some of the spike was related to IDRTG.

11. raekess

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences. Maybe I'll give IDRTG a second look.