Default language when user's language is not supported

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by James C. Smith, Mar 8, 2010.

1. James C. Smith

Jan 18, 2010
    Casual game producer / programmer
    Irvine, CA
    My game has support for English, French, Italian, German and Spanish. It automatically selects the language based on the iPhone’s global settings. What do you think I should do if the device is set to a language the game doesn’t support? I guess adding a language selection UI would be nice but how important is it really? Since I didn’t plan for this ahead of time it is unlikely to be added now. (the game is feature complete and almost done with beta). Currently it defaults to English if the user’s language isn’t supported. Would it make sense to have different defaults for different languages? For example, if the phone is set to Portuguese would I be better off showing Spanish or English?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

That sounds like my game, minus the German (nothing against Germany; I just had to draw the line somewhere...).

I just went with English as a default. I figure that's widely-used enough that you have some chance to figure out how to manually change languages if needed. Interesting idea to try to choose a more similar language based on the devices settings, though.

--Eric

3. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    When in doubt, go with the lingua-franca. As long as you let users change it, they should be happy.

Which language is the lingua-franca? Well, since it means "language of the franks", obviously everyone wants to speak French. (I kid, I kid! :D)