The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Photics, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    This week I launched The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook. It was written with the aim to make it even easier to make GameSalad games. I know a lot of gamers frown on games made with GameSalad, but that's because the community is new and they're learning.

Up until now, there wasn't a book that could help users with the software, so they had to struggle on their own. The official GameSalad website has a Wiki, but it's a bit cumbersome to use. The community wanted better documentation, so I created it for them.

The feedback has been great. I think I helped a lot of developers! You can read the feedback on the GameSalad forums...

http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=9300

So, if you've been thinking about making your own iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch games, GameSalad and the textbook could help a lot. The Math section and the optimization techniques seem to be really popular with the developers.

2. DreamSparks LLC

Aug 14, 2010
    Wrapper Operator
    Elkhart
    I have read his Sample PDF and it looks great. I ordered my copy today can't wait for it I have been working on a project for a little over year in a half now. It was only like 2 months ago I heard of GameSalad but after being on there forums and seeing what some of these guys are coming up with I think my ideas will become true. I was originally planning on using Xcode but without the programming knowledge it was going to be impossible hopefully with the help of this book and the fellow community members I can make it happen.

3. Photics

Jun 1, 2010
    GOOD NEWS EVERYONE — The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook is now available in the iBookstore!

1. Just download the iBooks app...
      http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibooks/id364709193?mt=8
    2. Enter the store
    3. Search for "Photics" or "GameSalad"

The book should be the only one in the search results. This is good news for those that prefer the ePub format or for those that prefer to buy the book with PayPal. Also, with an actual GameSalad book in the iBookstore, this should add more popularity to the GameSalad software.

This is a proud moment for me. I worked very hard to make this happen.

The book is still cheaper if you buy the book directly through my website. However, this might be a good alternative for those with PayPal accounts or iBookstore gift cards.

4. Photics

Jun 1, 2010
    The holidays are almost here. Do you need gift ideas for Christmas / Hanukkah?

Well, GOOD NEWS EVERYONE...

Lulu appears to be having a sale until 11/21/2010. Apparently, if you use the code DONE at checkout, you can save 20%. That's great if you want to give a printed copy of The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook as a gift.

It should also work if you're buying the book as a gift for yourself. :)

Also, I could probably put the Sound Effects — By Photics collection on a CD at Lulu. Is anyone interested in that? Those sound effects could also be a great gift for your beloved game developer.