A reminder to all devs...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Yagami_Light, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Yagami_Light

Yagami_Light Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Could you please make sure your game is compatible with user music? I always find it so annoying to start out a game with my music on, and have it turned off. Then I have to try to go through all of the menus, and hopefully have the option to turn off music.

Then, you double tap your home button, press play, and half of the time, you still can't play your own music.

So, please remember this as you make your apps. It is an iPod, and most of us do buy it to play music/audiobooks/podcasts.

Thank you for your time.

2. bovinedragon

bovinedragon Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    I'll make it even easier for people, heres the code to do it!
    Code:
    UInt32 propertySize, audioIsAlreadyPlaying=0;

propertySize = sizeof(UInt32);
    AudioSessionGetProperty(kAudioSessionProperty_OtherAudioIsPlaying, &propertySize, &audioIsAlreadyPlaying);

if(audioIsAlreadyPlaying){
          // the ipod is on! turn game music off
    }

3. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    ROFL, best first post ever!

4. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Who's first post ever???

5. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Where would I put that code???

6. VWXYZ

VWXYZ Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    NO game, I repeat, NO GAME goes to my front page without in-game custom music.

Its that easy. To me, in-game music is the difference between a game I play to kill time or play to play a game.

If the game try to go in the "kill time" catogory (and HAVE in-game music) you are competing with other iPhone titles.

If the game try to go in the "gaming" category (not having custom music) I have a PS3, and you will have to out match Killzone 2 or Metal Gear Solid 4.

Some games can keep the steam against my PS3 for maybe an hour or so... But I already clocked in several hours of Trism.

This long post is actually really simple:
    "In-game custom music = best feature for any game"

7. bovinedragon

bovinedragon Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Just put that code before you initialize your sound, and if "audioIsAlreadyPlaying" is true, set some flag that prevents your sound from initializing, and also use it to block any calls you make to play sounds later in your code.

8. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Hmmm, interesting

9. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    Will do :)

We've all heard this a thousand times. Don't boss around developers.

10. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    Also Devs make it so you can hear sound effects. If I'm playing.... lets say Zombieville, I want to hear gunshots.

11. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    I'm not being mean or what ever you might be thinking.

But my friend on MSN has this message under his name "Read Light Yagami backwards" or something VERY close to that.

Yagami
    imagay

12. ImNotWorking

ImNotWorking Member

Apr 29, 2009
    I'm having a problem with my game where the ipod music automatically shuts down while the game is loading (it does the music fade as if the phone was getting a call).

Is there any setting I need to do in the initialization to stop the music from fading out?

13. gottaa

gottaa Active Member

What amazes me is the number of application which totally ignore both volume and silent settings on the phone and yet still pass the approval phase with Apple.

Mafia Wars being a great example with it's intro of revving of an engine and the bark, which I've never found a way to silence and ended up with me deleting it simply because it's the kind of game I could pick up at work and play for 2 mins while waiting for code to run but can't when it makes it that bloody obvious what I'm doing.

I can only assume alot of devs test on 1st gen iPod touches

14. PowerThirst

PowerThirst Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Yeah it's annoying when you can't turn BGM off.