Should I upgrade to iOS 5?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DodgerBlue016, Dec 21, 2011.

1. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    I'm wondering whether or not I should upgrade to iOS 5. First off I'm wondering since I'm on iOS 4.2.1 on a 4th gen iTouch. Been constantly getting games that aren't 'compatible' even though they really are, but the devs want to make it not download for 2nd gens. One reason I'm hesitant to upgrade is pulled apps. Do some pulled apps work on iOS 5? Curious about Madden '11, NBA Elite '11, and the original Flip Riders. Are there any top-notch games that don't work on iOS 5? Also I'm wondering because of the time. I've heard it can take forever to download the OS and then send your apps over (WITH backup). Does it? And is it worth it afterwards?

2. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I enjoy using my iTouch 4 less since I upgraded to iOS 5. Everything is just slower. Typing here on TA lags. App store pages take longer to load.

3. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    I'm going to jump in on this query myself, as I have an iPod Touch 4 with 4.3.5 and have held off getting iOS 5 so far for the same reasons. I get that iCloud is swell if you want to access apps away from home, and the ability to maintain game saves in the cloud sounds good, but the negatives (games that aren't being updated to iOS 5 and may not work with it, device lag, eternal update download, etc.) sound very unappealing. Does iOS 5 offer anything that makes it a must-do for iTouch 4 users, other than a cloud feature I will largely have little use for?

4. DodgerBlue016

Jun 25, 2011
    Here
    Also I personally don't care (at all!) about iCloud. Doesn't interest me at all. A couple of features like deleting music on the device do interest me a bit, but not a huge amount. I want to update the iOS more so I can play more games (like for example the new game Crazy Hedgy) that require iOS 4.3 and above. Also if anyone knows of safe, legit downloads of 4.3 please post 'em. I'd almost prefer that to 5. But I don't think there is a way, sadly. Also: how long would updating to 5 take? And 4.3 (if it's possible)?

5. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Okay, we'll I have an iPod Touch 3rd Gen (32 gb), so I don't know if my answer really matters to you.

Well, to actually download iOS 5, it took me about 25-30 minutes. The actual backup of the apps told a long time. That took me about 2 hours ( I have about 120 games/apps on my iDevice).

So far, iOS 5 is amazing. Surfing the web, downloing apps and overall performance is 10 times faster (Don't know what the other guy is saying). So overall, I say go for it!

6. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    iOS 5 has just made by my iPhone 4 and iPad 1 better at everything.

7. DodgerBlue016

Jun 25, 2011
    Here
    Out of curiosity----how full was your device? Was it all the way full? I have the same size device as you, but mines practically full to the brim (with like a gig to spare). Think I might update tonight. Anything I should know before then? And all your input really does help, but...are there any other 4th gen itouch/iphone that also had positive experience? [Also I don't own any of the new unreal engine games except for IB (the first one], so those glitches wouldn't throw me too much...

8. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I have about 14 gb left on my iPod :p

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    The first few days after upgrading to iOS5..my 4th gen ipod touch felt fast. As time went by, it started feeling slower and slower. Games chug more and more now. Games also seem to crash more and more (I get a lot more low memory logs now). I get constant pausing when using the ipod and when switching apps and stuff. Typing in forums is slow. I wish I didn't upgrade..but can't down grade. I'm thinking stuff like notifications and stuff takes more memory..and ipod touch has 256 mb (vs. iphone's 512mb) really slows it down.

10. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    iOS 5 is awesome, but with the recent iOS 5.0.1 my iPod has gone really slow and laggy. It doesn't respond to pressing home button in a long time, I can only open the screen from lock button, no home button, safari crashes and more. I'd just wait on the next update that fixes these issues and a lot more.

11. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I love iOS 5, I say go for it for sure. I would hate to downgrade.

12. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    I'm not... With 4.3 I've been able to play everything fine... iOS 5 may have alot of cool new features but u have to worry about games not compatible or ur device operating slower or different... Personally I'm just gonna wait till get a new phone and never update again... I've learned my lesson, if it ain't broke then don't try to fix it with 4.1 my pod was perfect with the 2 updates it got slower, buggy and just not as good... There's no reason to update unless u need to have sumthing...

In the future with I cloud hopefully this won't be happening anymore... Every update there's thousands of people in the apple complaint forums with problems...

13. leras

leras Member

Nov 25, 2011
    i think every single version has pros and cons but you should check which version for your device fits best

14. Tuilelath

Tuilelath Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Licensed Optician
    #14 Tuilelath, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
    +1 on this. I'm holding off on my iPhone 4 and iPad 1 which are running 4.3.5. Concerned with the mentioned problems on this thread and the persistent battery issues some are experiencing.

The notification bar is nice, I use it constantly on an Android device but I don't miss it on my phone. The only thing I really want from iOS 5 is photo albums.

15. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

5.0.1 on ipad1 is a turd. I have had a ton of problems with crashes while using safari and even just checking out the app store. From googling the problem it seems to be pretty common.

16. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Yes. Upgrade.

17. VOGamer

VOGamer Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2011
    I have ipod touch 4g. While ios5 has some nice new features such as photo management, notification, and reminder app, it does have some glaring issues.

Ever since upgrading to ios5, many games I've tried crash during loading. The error is always low memory. I think ios5 uses more memory for itself, leaving less memory for the apps.

App store list takes longer to list and consumes much more memory. With Music, there is the stupid STORE button at the top left of the menu. It is easy to confuse it for the back menu. It's a dick move, something I expect from Google Android, NOT Apple!

18. venator

venator Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Britain
    iOS 5 is sometimes slow and freezes a lot, but is good in terms of features and fixes of previous bugs.

19. DodgerBlue016

Jun 25, 2011
    Here
    I'm still wondering about this, since there were mostly negative responses here. Is it worth it to upgrade to iOS 5? Is the lag really that bad? And, more importantly to those who have upgraded, given the choice would you still upgrade?

20. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    IDK...

It's up to what you want to deal with.

With iOS 5, I got slower GC load times, slower Safari plus more crashes, my home screen sometimes lags, push notifications can kill games, weird app switching (a game will crash and open up a new game or app), and the battery bug.

The battery bug is the worst thing about iOS 5.0.1. A simple game can actually drain my battery in about 20 minutes.