How to get into What’s Hot category at US iTunes?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by OstinGames, Aug 8, 2011.

1. OstinGames

OstinGames Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Developer, CEO of own company
    USA
    Hi honorable TouchArcade community,

Did anyone analyze why your app (game) got/didn’t get into iTunes What’s Hot category? Which factor is crucial, the number of downloads or the number of ratings/reviews, or something else beyond our developer’s control? :confused:

From our experience, Zepi:Classic HD, which was released 03 August 2011, hit Top Games Paid iPad Apps on 05 August (position #179), and has been in Top Puzzle Paid iPad Apps (#40) for several days, but it didn’t hit What’s Hot category.

Any thoughts?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Release something that isn't a reskin.

3. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Every time I read Eli's responses, I say "Oh Snap!" in my head... even when he's ripping into me. :D

Additionally, I like his most recent profile changes. vrbo.com... lol. And apparently he joined the forum before there was internet.

From what I've seen, the "What's Hot" section is generally a hand curated selection of the most popular "New and Noteworthy" games from the past that were featured on the main page (not the sub categories). If you get featured in N&N, and your game is popular there, generally you stand a good chance of getting moved down into the "What's Hot" section.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I'm not ripping into anyone, but I'd say the exact polar opposite of "What's Hot" is a reskin of a matching game.

5. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    oh nooo.. one of the upcoming projects is a match game :(

as for whats hot.. bravado is right there.. its more or less the second chance of being featured if you did well sales wise and you can stay alot longer on that list... but i'm not sure if you need to be on n&n

but then again the hole featuring with apple became pretty confusing over time with all the sub section of the big features.. theme features, appstore essentials, staff picks etc. etc.
    and the wider they spread their "special" spotlights the less they are usefull.. like for example the completly useless sub categorie features..

6. Stacword Match Day made it into the What's Hot for Eduction software in the UK. I think ratings play a big part in it.

7. phoenix_mobile

phoenix_mobile Well-Known Member

#7 phoenix_mobile, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
    I set my game Flower Board HD free for a few days and now it reached top 10 Free Puzzle games US Store (for iPad). Does it have a chance to go into N&N or What hot?

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    do you have iap or iads? something that earns apple any money?

9. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

Can I beta testing your game my friend? ;)

10. antony.thai

Good question, however, not "any money" but "lot of money" instead, Apple has a long list of N&N games plus games from their partnership developers to consider....

11. phoenix_mobile

phoenix_mobile Well-Known Member

I'm going to add IAP or may be both soon. But right now no.

12. Vetasoft

Vetasoft Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    You must have a good rush of download in a day to get noticed by someone from the App Store Staff. After then, they decide by themself or by the popularity.

13. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

#13 Shaz, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
    Yeah, I would have thought they'd be the same as any retailer. If they think it will sell well, it's already sold well or will attract people to the shop they'll put it in the shop front.

14. flybird

flybird Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Most New & Noteworthy games fall into What's Hot in the next week.

15. antony.thai

Probably not, why = see above! :)

16. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    My textbook has been in the "What's Hot" section for iTunes Books many times. After watching the book enter and leave the featured area, I'm thinking it's a combination of two factors... ratings and downloads. Maybe there is some sort of editorial process, but I'm think it's probably more automatic than manual.

17. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    For what I know it's not automatic. There are few people at Apple, very understaffed, that do a selection and decide what to put in "Hot Stuff" or not.

So, as said previously, a good game that's not a reskin is a must.
    The second thing that helps is to have features that put forward the last Apple tech (ex: air display, asynchronous gameplay via game center etc.)
    The last thing: if you actually get in touch with the guys at Apple... that's how the world works. Network is key.

18. antony.thai

Network is key, that makes sense! :)

19. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    ...what I would pay for the email addresses of those Apple employees...

20. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    I've heard it's a committee-based thing. If someone likes (or has been pointed to) something, they will present it to a board and then it will go from there, makes sense.

I've noticed it seems to be the same with Google (who seem far more approachable btw, if you are any kind of sneaky/savvy)

I agree, networking is absolutely key, in getting any kind of feature or coverage or what-have-you. Even if you have an above-average product at this stage, you will need something extra to help your chances. It's potentially worth spending $ and heading out to meet up with people "in person" (conventions, etc) if you are serious about it - but don't waste your money without doing some real homework first (who, where, when)