So why is this considered appropriate for Price Drops & Deals?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by dclose, Apr 13, 2012.

1. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Why is the thread [thread=2223900]Amoebattle now free on freemyapps.com[/thread] considered an appropriate post for the Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals forum? It's really none of the above, because it's not an app deal that's freely available to anyone on the App Store. It's only available to those who subscribe to the FreeMyApps product.

Is Touch Arcade promoting FreeMyApps now? If so, shouldn't this thread be in General Discussions? If not, isn't this type of "announcement" more appropriate on FreeMyApps own website? What's next, threads on free Android apps? :rolleyes:

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It was just posted by some random dude who wanted to give fellow deal-hounds a heads up which seems like an appropriate use for that forum, doesn't it? He doesn't seem to be involved with the developer or the site? Demanding it be moved seems a little pedantic, if people weren't interested in the promotion no one would be responding and the thread would quickly fall into obscurity. :)

3. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    #3 dclose, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    Thanks for the response. It wasn't a demand, merely a query. I thought it more of a promotion for the FreeMyApps app/site rather than a freely-available Apple App Store deal, but I do agree, there's interest. Still, I hope that announcements of things available through all the earn-free-apps sites don't become the main focus of the deals forum, especially given the cloudy history of some of those apps (edit to add...) and the membership/exclusivity requirement of those deals.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Given the incredibly volatile nature of pricing on the App Store, I'm not sure it's possible for that to happen.

5. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    LOL! True, there is that! :D

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    At least it wasn't a referral link.

Service doesn't 'pay' you to write reviews, just to download and run them.

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Yeah, referral links are no bueno. If you see someone doing that, feel free to report the post.

8. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Ah, that's what prompted my query. I don't understand the difference between referral links and a post that basically/subtly directs folks to deals/downloads available through another app/site? Just degrees? Or is there something I'm missing?

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to understand. Thanks!

9. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Reminder:

If anyone has concerns about a post (eg: spam, inappropriate, bad language, insults, off-topic, etc) you can click the "report post" icon above that post. The icon has an exclamation mark on it.

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    A referral link is one usually includes some sort of user ID so that the referrer (i.e. the person who posted the link) gets some sort of reward, giving them incentive to spam forums such as this. (Which is why they're so frowned upon.)

For example, if I included my GamersGate tag in my signature here, and you clicked on it and joined - then I'd get a few spendable blue coins every time you bought something there.

11. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Okay, now you're making sense! I thought "referral link" meant just that: direct someone to another site. I didn't realize there was an additional layer to it. Thanks!