iPad Gamers, How often do you play...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Silverous, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Silverous

Silverous Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    How often do you play iPad games with your friends on the same device? (local multiplayer games) Like how friends gather to play boardgames?

Or.. is iPad more like a personal device.. just for personal usage and gaming?

Based on my own observation, I hardly see anyone playing with friends on the same iPad..

And there is indeed a shortage of such games on the App Store
    Anyone seen such behavior?

:cool:

2. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    #2 pavarotti2007, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    I never play with someone on the same device. Also wouldn't let anyone touch my iPad either. I do play games on my iPad evryday. I also game on my iPhone too.

3. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Not my thing either...I like my screen to myself...sand when I see a pass and play game or a split screen game ....I keep it moving along...

I'm a loner gamer anyhow , thank god for online multi!:p

4. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I play every day.. Usually in just 5-10 min bursts.
    I use it everyday to browse Internet, send emails, edit photos etc
    It took over my entire technology devices.
    I no longer use my 3k computer. I no longer use my MacBook, I no longer use my iPod to listen to music, and I rarely even use my iPhone now either (other than for text/phone capabilities)
    It's really the ONE device you need. And for $500 you can't go wrong.
    I know it's cheesy, but it honestly improves the quality of life.
    For a one off payment off 500 bucks you could improve your life for at least 3 years before needing to upgrade again.
    I got my iPad 2 a few days after launch, and I was never interested in iPad 3 (new iPad).. But I'll probably get iPad 4 when released. (hopefully announced today!)

5. #5 Connector, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    It's tough. At first, I thought I would use my ipad a lot to play with my friends via multiplayer same device games. But then some realities set in.

First, the screen isn't so big. While it seems big enough for one, it is hard to get 2 people around my ipad. Cutting down the screen to about half for controls makes the games a little less fun. Also, it is hard to position the 2 bodies unless you have a perfect size table between you.

Second, my friends don't know how to use touchscreen! No joke! Not many people own an ipad, and they can't seem to get used to big ipad touchscreen controls, so this is frustrating, you either end up as a tutor showing people how to play a touchscreen, or it can make the game not so fun.

Third, my friends suck at these games, since you are the owner and have the advantage of being of being used to the ipad, usually your friends suck at the same game. So it is no fun, since there is usually no competition.

Fourth, people don't care about your ipad as much as you, they are more prone to scratch, damage, or drop your ipad, and as valuable as it is, it does add to some paranoia of losing or damaging your ipad.

Fifth, there aren't too many games with good multiplayer same device ipad configs. Fruit ninja is ok, but many other games require a good opponent to be fun.

Sixth, the volume out of an ipad sucks. With no stereo sound, and a rare facing speaker, it makes multiplayer gaming on the ipad even worse. I even have a headphone splitter, but it's hard to hook up 2 headphones with my ipad cause if your friend moves, it may move the ipad causing it to fall.

Seventh, I like playing multiplayer bluetooth games better. you can play ipad vs ipad or if someone has no ipad or iphone, I give them my ipad and play them via my iphone. Like osmos, it's a great game multiplayer bluetooth, and it is just funner playing with 2 devices, which I own.

I thought when I first got my ipad, I would play more one device multiplayer games, but this has not worked out the way I wanted. Now I am just waiting patiently for some of my friends to get ipads so we can play multiplayer, but even then the skill level will be so different that it will be hard to play them.

It would be cool if there were some ipad users meets like on meetup where you just played multiplayer ipad games. Maybe I should start one up in Los Angeles, that would be fun! Would be cool to play both one device as well as bluetooth multiplayer games with some worthy ipad opponents.

6. Silverous

Oct 21, 2011
    Woah, thats quite cool analysis there. =D
    Love the way how you broke it down into pointers.

What are the multiplayer games that you tried with your friends before? (both local and blue-tooth)

Hmm.. assuming you have 3 options..
    1. Play Boardgames with friends
    2. Play games on iPad with friends
    3. Play console games with friends

Which would you choose?

Hey that would be fun~! But too bad, I live in Singapore. can't join ya. =0

7. Silverous

Oct 21, 2011
    Do you play games on the iPad with your friends? =D
    or it ain't for sharing?! =p

8. Thanks,

One device ipad games that I have played:
    Ice rage
    Fruit ninja hd
    Infinity field hd
    Couple of different air hockey games
    Overlords
    Toon shooters
    And some others

Bluetooth, not so many, mainly play osmos since it plays well and is easy. My iphone doesn't have much memory, so I want to have games like Asphalt 6, modern combat 3 etc for bluetooth gaming, but I can't due to the large file sizes.

If anyone knows of any good small bluetooth multiplayer games, please let me know so I can put them on my iphone.

Definitely would pick console playing with a lot of friends. The ipad is not meant for multiplayers, and if it did, it would really need 2 wireless joysticks. That way you wouldn't worry about people scratching or breaking or your ipad. Also, this would make it easier to see the ipad screen. With two hands on it, it really does reduce the visibility, especially when you have a friend that has no experience with playing on an ipad.

I was really impressed that people have no idea how to play a game on an ipad. It's like a foreign language or something. With no joystick feel or feedback, they seem clueless about how to control even simple things. Even something as simple as a dual stick shooter, they can't seem to figure out.

So I gave up playing one device games with my friends. But one day, would love to have a party or a meetup with serious ipad gamers, and play some multiplayer Asphalt 7, Nova 3, or Osmos.

I think NBA Jam is bluetooth multiplayer, don't know if Virtua tennis is, but that would be great to play or 2k12 nhl or fifa 12. Sports games are always fun multiplayer.

Guess, I'll have to try playing multiplayer more on the internet instead. For some reason, when I'm on the internet, prefer to post lots of garbage like this on forums, watch youtube videos on future ios games, read the news, or watch skimpy girls dance on the internet. Haha

9. Silverous

Oct 21, 2011
    What are the multiplayer games that you tried with your friends before? (both local and blue-tooth)

Hmm.. assuming you have 3 options..
    1. Play Boardgames with friends
    2. Play games on iPad with friends
    3. Play console games with friends

Which would you choose?

10. johot

johot Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Funny I just found this thread!

We are actually creating an iPad (and iPhone) game made to be played by two players on one device. A single player mode also exists.

The game is called Castle Raid and is a fantasy themed cartoonish action strategy game where you attack your friends castle (and he attacks yours) by deploying different type of units and using special weapons. It's all optimized to be playable by two players on one device, so you only use buttons on your side of the screen, you never touch the screen of your opponents side etc.

We just finished a gameplay video (you will be the first ones to see it!):

https://vimeo.com/49014363

It might say it's available in the video (since it's meant to be shown at release) but it currently is not but will be very very soon!

Also check out our facebook page (that holds even more info about the game + screenshots):

http://www.facebook.com/Arcticmill

And company webpage:

http://www.arcticmill.com

And please let us know what you think!

/Johan, Arcticmill

11. Silverous

Oct 21, 2011
    lol. reminds me of DOTA. =p
    Are there campaign or story mode?
    Does the game allows blue tooh or over the net battle?

12. Looks like a two player kingdom rush. Looks like it has potential for sure.

13. johot

johot Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Hehe I can see how it can remind you of DOTA, you can for sure make mid rushes :) The game however is made to be really easy to pick up and play. We want you to be able to play against your friends and show them how to play in a couple of minutes, something I guess is harder if it was exactly like DOTA.

We currently have no over the net battles, we really wanted to make a great single device multiplayer game here. But who knows what the future will hold.

And yes, there is a single player mode where you need to beat different opponents on the different battlefields to conquer the kingdom.

Thank you!

14. arcticmill

arcticmill Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Haha exactly! We believe Castle Raid is the the perfect way of settling any dispute or agument ;)

Anyway, I posted here again to let you all know we will release the game tomorrow (18th of september)! So if you are looking for a new single device multiplayer game we hope you want to try Castle Raid out!

More info:
    http://www.arcticmill.com