Forum Clean Up Suggestion for Arn

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by touch_me, Mar 28, 2009.

1. touch_me

touch_me Active Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Arn,
    I love this forum, but its constantly flooded with useless threads that have titles like "Best 99cent game" being started by every newbie.

We all know there is the search button, and we all know so little people use it.
    I believe it is because people still do not consider toucharcade as big perhaps as howardforums, and think that if they dont see anything on the first two pages no one has thought about their question before.

I would like to suggest that you implement a system very much like digg.com where before starting a new thread , a search is done on the title topic automatically for the poster and the results are shown for them. IF they still don't find what they are looking for, they can click "My post is totally original - I swear" ... or something along that line.

I believe this will help cut the clutter and will make our stay at TA more enjoyable.

2. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I don't know if that service is available using the type of forum arn has subscribed to and is using...

3. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    If that is possible with this forum then it sounds like a great idea!

4. taran420

taran420 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    I know with VB their is a hack where, when posting a new thread you can enter a title, and press a "check to see it already posted" button, and it searches to see if threads with similiar title have been posted before or not

5. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

#5 brewstermax, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
    I hate to say it, but you are a Junior Member, who is calling who a n00b?

Also, ipodtouchfans uses vBulletin, and has some of the best anti-spam measures out there. Search as you type, automerge double post, and many other things. Horrible community, but the features are top notch. TA needs to implement these things.

6. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    double post stopper has been implented (had it just today. if you post the exact same thing in the same thread within five minutes, it notifies you)

7. touch_me

touch_me Active Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Being a junior member does not make me handicap enough to push the search button. I am a member on more than just one forum and I know if I am looking for something, the first thing to do is press the search button ! Exactly like I would Google something. I will not be making a new webpage to ask my question everytime !

8. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I suggested something similar a while back.

I thought that having a disclaimer when you start a new thread, requiring you to tick a box stating that you've searched for similar threads would be enough. Especially if you can't post the thread without ticking the box.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Yeah, he should totally go spam a Pocket God thread, then we can take him seriously! :rolleyes:

Post. Count. Doesn't. Matter.

10. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    good point . . .