AppReviewsFinder - grab App reviews from worldwide App Stores

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by massycat, Nov 18, 2009.

1. massycat

massycat Member

I have developed a Java application that downloads iPhone App reviews and ratings from the various iTunes Stores around the world.

AppReviewsFinder website.

It can translate the reviews using the Google AJAX Language API.

2. xxxmind

xxxmind Well-Known Member

Great application! I just used it to see iPharaoh's world review. It is awesome! (Except that it does not show me Japanese/Chinese reviews lol and it doesn't show more than 10 reviews;;; is there any way to see more than 10 reviews for each country?)

3. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Awesome! Thanks so much for this great tool!

4. massycat

massycat Member

Did a quick check for iPharaoh reviews. For Japan it shows 3 reviews for version 1.0.0 and 1 for version 1.1.0 and none for the latest version 1.2.0. There are no reviews from China.

AppReviewsFinder should find and display as many reviews as there are for an app. For example Flight Control shows something like 399 french reviews for version 1.0.

5. xxxmind

I did with Flight Control as well. Texts just don't show up for Japanese/Chinese;;
    (iPharaoh's Japanese reviews don't show up;;;)
    Another question I have is how do I see the reviews more than 10? (It seems to show me only those first 10 reviews?)

6. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Very nice! :)

7. massycat

massycat Member

The Japanese characters show up fine for me under OS X (assuming the characters are correct, I cannot read/recognise japanese characters). Under Windows I am getting little boxes. That maybe that Java isn't using a font that supports Japanese character or that the string encoding is getting lost/changed somewhere. I will look into it.

I have no problem downloading and displaying more than 10 reviews. For example I just downloaded 94 reviews from GB for the latest version of Bejeweled 2 and can happily scroll through them in the right hand area of the window.

8. xxxmind

I see. I will try on my Mac. However, on my windows 7 machine, I don't seem to see any Chinese or Japanese characters at all as well as more than 10 reviews. I will let you know how it works on my mac. (I'm sure it will show all good! :) )
    Thanks anyway for quick responses and for this good application!

9. massycat

massycat Member

I have updated AppReviewsFinder to version 0.9.4. This version corrects some character encoding issues when reading the reviews from their XML files (makes sure they are read as UTF8).

Find it on the AppReviewsFinder web page.

10. xxxmind

Awesome! I just check the latest update. It works perfect with all those chinese/korean/japanese! (can see more than 10 reviews as well!)
    Thanks for this wonderful app!

11. lynardo

lynardo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Software developer
    Canada
    +10 to you. Excellent tool!

12. massycat

massycat Member

Uploaded a new version of AppReviewsFinder, it is now at version 1.0.

Not too many changes, mainly the bonk to version 1.0:
    • No longer have to select the main node of an App to perform ratings/reviews download.
    • Menu item to show the locally stored files for an App. Nice for my development but maybe useful should anybody want to access the reviews/ratings xml files directly.

Also put a spreadsheet, on the AppReviewsFinder web page, for computing the star ratings values from the ratings CSV file exported from AppReviewsFinder.

13. massycat

massycat Member

Have just put up AppReviewsFinder version 1.0.1.

New in this version:
    • Added a split pane to separate the app tree from the reviews/ratings panel.
    • The apps are now sorted in alphabetical order.

If anybody would like to see new features in AppReviewsFinder then feel free to comment here.
    Or add them yourself, the code is available over on Google Code.

14. Nice! Great to see comments from other parts of the world.

15. TechnicArtist

TechnicArtist Active Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Excellent application!
    really helpful!

16. enuhski

enuhski Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Great great app! Thank you! :)

17. Mutant-Games

Mutant-Games Well-Known Member

Thanks

Very useful! Many thanks! :)

18. Very useful. Thank you for creating and posting this!

19. Clockworkapps

Clockworkapps Well-Known Member

#19 Clockworkapps, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
    Thanks... great tool

Thanks very much this is a great tool for monitoring ratings and reviews across the world.

Brilliant!!! :D

20. erise

erise New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I like AppReviewsFinder a lot... thanks for making it! One suggestion... I would like an option to save the AppReviewsFinder in the "Application Support" folder rather than my home folder.