Reeder for iPad, $4.99 --> FREE!

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by dclose, Apr 2, 2013.

1. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

Those of you missing Google's RSS feed might be interested to know that Reeder for iPad is going to continue to deliver RSS feeds through an alternate source, and has temporarily gone free to pick up new fans.

2. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Awesome freebie, thanks!

3. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Wonder what's happening when Google Reader is discontinued (yes, Google is getting rid of their RSS service). Sould rather have a good, standalone rss client than a front-end for a service going extinct. Don't know why most rss apps relied on Google...live by the sword, die by the sword. I've always dl'ed my rss feeds either to my browser or to a software client.

4. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    http://reederapp.com/reader/

5. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Well some of us like having all our feeds instantly available on any computer (like work, study, girlfriend etc) and google provided an excellent API for that. Plus nobody expected them to kill GReader.

If you read the op, Reeder will arrange for an alternate way to sync feeds, and I suppose they went free because Feedly announced it as soon as Google said it'd be killing reader and a ton of people has moved to Feedly which has web, iOS and Android apps.

6. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Well, I won't say I expected it, but I never count on any free "cloud" service remaining available indefinitely. Besides, a decent email client can store feeds and sync over multiple devices.

7. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Not really, google reader is what I use when I wanna read my feeds on my work computer (which I can't install anything nor do I want them to stay in the company's mail client) or when I want to read them on my gf's laptop, just like using gmail and stuff.

And how am I gonna sync my feeds with my iPad and iPhone flawlessly?

The reason Feedly got so many GReaders orphans (well soon to be orphans) recently is that it has good mobile apps that facilitate reading articles even on a tiny phone screen. Websites like The Old Reader, which gets your GReader feeds and already stores them, didn't get the rate of adoption that Feedly got because it doesn't have mobile apps.

Reeder has Mac, iPhone and iPad clients so it stands a chance when it starts syncing without GReader (although it lacks a web interface for using with windows machines afaik, sometimes I have to use them, Feedly at least has browser extensions).

8. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Can't beat a good reader, cheers

9. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

After trying out a few different alternatives to Google Reader, I am really enjoying Feedly.

But yes, this app, and any other that's just a shell for Google Reader will be useless come July unless they change API's or come up with their own syncing system.

10. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    Pretty much the same here. Feedly is proving to be quite a good reader! Not as a good as Feeddler though (function>design)

11. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    My personal favorite is Byline. Been using it every since getting my first iOS device and one if the most "expensive" apps that I bought. I'm using an iPod touch and Byline was one of the few befor that has offline cache. It's great when I'm on vacation and can cache all my articles for the few times when I can get internet if I go out of the country.

Feedly is decent.. A little too much eye candy for me, not as efficient for the way I work..and no offline caching. But each update has been getting better..and I'm slowly getting used to how it works both as the app and as the Chrome extension. They seem really serious in wanting to get as many users before Google reader closes.

12. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Why are there two Premium IAP unlocks for byline, one twice the price of the other?

13. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Reeder is great, but my RSS reader of choice for a few months now has been Mr. Reader, one I would recommend to everyone else as well.

14. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    From the ones that have mobile apps, Reeder and Feedly are the only ones I know that promised syncing (Newsblur too but it's a monthly paid service). Feedly is totally free and they practically affirmed they'll have a syncing solution so I guess that's why they grew so fast when google announced Reader's death.

The Old Reader promised mobile apps, they already have their own syncing.

That said I prefer Reeder because Feedly has a lot of eye candy IMO, nice but kinda get in the way if you have a ton of feeds.

15. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Haha..yeah. That was the confusing part. I think within the app, there's only the 5.99 version, but in iTunes it shows a 2.99 version as well. Either case, no point in buying Byline for now...

I came across what seems to be a bug in Feedly in certain circumstances where if I try to unsave an article after visiting the website, it actually saves a duplicate entry in the saved list.. If you hit the save/unsave button again, it saves another copy.. **sigh**